Fan Opinion of Big Men | The Boneyard

Fan Opinion of Big Men

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
just curious to see how UConn Nation feels about our big men individually.

Josh Carlton: He’s got all the tools and should be a good starter. Just needs to get more athletic.

Cobb: Seems to be talented, but needs to be utilized right and obviously lose weight.

Yakwe: Experience, shot blocking, awful offense. Sounds familiar? Hey, Amida.

Diarra: Would be great as an energy guy, showed he can rebound and blocked shots, unfortunately didn’t get a lot of experience last year due to low minutes. Thanks, KO.

Whaley: Unskilled, raw, pure energy. Needs to put some meat on those bones. Don’t think he can have a legit impact until next year.

Williams: I’m personally not buying this kids stock. Dunks are cool and all, but it’s not when you don’t know the fundamentals. I don’t feel like he has a position on the floor.

In final, will definitely be better than last year, with Diarra and Carlton standing out. As the years go on, we could have a very good, veteran front court with Carlton, Diarra, and Whaley.

Reaction Score
I still think in a real pg run offense if you run a few good screens getting Williams near the basket a well timed oop will result in many easy buckets for us. He fully has the ability to run, jump, and throw down oops.

Reaction Score
I still think in a real pg run offense if you run a few good screens getting Williams near the basket a well timed oop will result in many easy buckets for us. He fully has the ability to run, jump, and throw down oops.

It would be great to get two or three buckets a game like that, unfortunately it's easier said than done it seems.

In response to another post above, I love watching Diarra and I wish he had gotten more of a chance to develop last year, however, it was as much his fault for getting in foul trouble so quickly as it was KO's for not using him as much as he could.

It seems we have lots of guys with a skill or 2, but nobody is close to a complete player with the possible exception of Josh.

What if Cobb gets in such good shape that he starts at the 4 alongside JC? That would be a story.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm trying to reflexively temper expectations, but if the Cobb stuff is legit, that would be fantastic. That kind of size paired with a shooting stroke (again, if that part is legit) would be a great asset, especially during the conference schedule.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
We just need the big men to be serviceable and hold their own against most competition. The good thing is each big has an ability that complements the others. Yakwe can be that Brimah-like backstop on defense while Cobb can facilitate on offense. Diarra provides explosiveness, Carlton provides a touch around the rim like an old school big, etc.

But this team rides and dies with Jalen, Alterique, Sid, and CV.

Reaction Score
But this team rides and dies with Jalen, Alterique, Sid, and CV.
Fixed.
Love the potential, but the NBA prospect has to take substantial precedent over the thrice injured player, the unknown transfer, and the energetic but limited shooting guard. Not a slam, but more of a compliment to Jalen - it's his team, and we'll go only as far as he takes us. Mark it.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I am hopeful that Cobb's physical transformation will become a standard for this program that you don't even begin to compete as a serious player let alone become considered for professional ranks until you have the body and strength (including lungs) to go with bb skills. You certainly have to look at quality opponents and rate how you stack up physically which includes endurance as well as strength and getting the most out of athleticism. I am very pleased that Hurley gets this and will impose it by will just like JC did. How physically over-matched were our recent teams! I am excited to see the return of "in your face" basketball (especially defense). I hope it reaches the standard of running down the opponent for say 30 minutes until you run the opponent out of the gym in the last 10 minutes. The Husky is a perfect model of teamwork, effort and endurance. Time to live up to that. I remember vividly the excitement of that style of play from Calhoun's early years and loving the end of the game when that tenacity wore down opponents. No one enjoys playing against that type of team which is the point. It becomes a matter of will and imposing yours. Instill dread in opponents.

Reaction Score
Eager to see Coach Hurley and Coach Hunter teach these men how to set some real screens and get back to the fundamentals. All the big men seem to be raw but nothing that can't be taught. Im just excited to hopefully see some sound basketball

Reaction Score
I've heard cobb has been the best big man so far during summer workouts.
I'm betting Josh Carlton isn't too far behind. Different players though, Josh just needs to own the post and additionally play team offense/defense. Eric Cobb on the other hand with his improved lighter weight/better movement/shooting/ball handling may be used as more of an Omari Spellman type player a la Villanova style ball.

It's nice to have options.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They are all still too short for my liking. My favorite lunch-pail player of all time is Kevin Freeman, who is 6'-7" only if you count the lifts in his Nikes. He had three 6'-11"+ players on whom to leverage.

Reaction Score
I've heard cobb has been the best big man so far during summer workouts.

I'm not surprised. The stuff I've read give the impression that it his off-the-court attitude that has been a bit of a distraction in his development. I was super underwhelmed with the couple times he was in games at the beginning of last year but I feel like that for all the big guys seeing Ollie never really seemed to know what to do with them.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Fixed.
Love the potential, but the NBA prospect has to take substantial precedent over the thrice injured player, the unknown transfer, and the energetic but limited shooting guard. Not a slam, but more of a compliment to Jalen - it's his team, and we'll go only as far as he takes us. Mark it.
We've already seen that Jalen can't do it alone, and I think that will remain true with whatever improvement he makes this summer. We need a proper system and a few players to step up next to him. We need a Boatright, Giffey and Daniels. Obviously this team won't be nearly as good as that team, but you get the point.

I dont think we actually disagree with each other. I agree that obviously Jalen is the most important player. But we need other players to step up big time if we want success, and the first ones on that list are Alterique, Sid and CV.

And this team is a complete unknown for the reasons you stated.

C

Chief00

just curious to see how UConn Nation feels about our big men individually.

Josh Carlton: He’s got all the tools and should be a good starter. Just needs to get more athletic.

Cobb: Seems to be talented, but needs to be utilized right and obviously lose weight.

Yakwe: Experience, shot blocking, awful offense. Sounds familiar? Hey, Amida.

Diarra: Would be great as an energy guy, showed he can rebound and blocked shots, unfortunately didn’t get a lot of experience last year due to low minutes. Thanks, KO.

Whaley: Unskilled, raw, pure energy. Needs to put some meat on those bones. Don’t think he can have a legit impact until next year.

Williams: I’m personally not buying this kids stock. Dunks are cool and all, but it’s not when you don’t know the fundamentals. I don’t feel like he has a position on the floor.

In final, will definitely be better than last year, with Diarra and Carlton standing out. As the years go on, we could have a very good, veteran front court with Carlton, Diarra, and Whaley.

Chief loves the fans getting involved and providing their opinions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom