Fan Coping Mechanisms Survey | The Boneyard

Fan Coping Mechanisms Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm not in denial, I just refuse to revel in the very rare agony of defeat. My coping mechanism - and thank God I follow the rarely losing Huskies - is (and no snickers, I'm a guy - a guy's guy booyah) to shop! So today I have been on the hunt for a Nikon BDC recticle 3X9 scope and mounts for a Marlin 336 from 1962 in really premo shape I found at a ... are you ready...Gun Show in 2011. Hasten to add it was a dealer sale with federal background check (how my heart pounds every time the call is made. Have they found me out yet!!) I'm cheaper than dirt, of course, but this loss hurt, so ... On line shopping has brought success! I feel better.

Anyone care to share a coping strategy they use in situations such as this?

Reaction Score
Sometimes a simple reality check is adequate; it's only the second game of the season. We lost because we got very little from some key players on a big-time stage, not to mention untimely turnovers and defensive breakdowns (if Kia Nurse doesn't foul out, I'm certain we win). That's not likely to happen again. I think the real disappointment comes form the fact that there will be no broken 90-game win streak in the near future. I would bet on a 10th national championship , however. I'm confident that UCONN will learn from its mistakes. If this doesn't help, then I agree that raiding eBay works every time. There are tens of thousands of guitars to choose from.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Coping - not changing anything I do. We lost a game to a quality team. No shame there. Did we look bad at times - yes. These things will be fixed by Geno and his staff. Players are not happy with a loss and they way they played.

Of course, we could complain about the officiating - again. But that usually comes out even in the end.

I like Lynx23's idea - go guitar shopping!!!!!!!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Sometimes a simple reality check is adequate; it's only the second game of the season. We lost because we got very little from some key players on a big-time stage, not to mention untimely turnovers and defensive breakdowns (if Kia Nurse doesn't foul out, I'm certain we win). That's not likely to happen again. I think the real disappointment comes form the fact that there will be no broken 90-game win streak in the near future. I would bet on a 10th national championship , however. I'm confident that UCONN will learn from its mistakes. If this doesn't help, then I agree that raiding eBay works every time. There are tens of thousands of guitars to choose from.

hmmm...losing the streak...never gave that one a thought actually

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
hmmmm...what did I do to cope? Nothing. I went to bed, knowing tomorrow is another day.

If we lost the championship, I might have had to make my way to the Neuhaus Chocolate shop at Grand Central Terminal.

Those chocolates are to die for, especially the "Astrids"

You see my dilemma.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It's a game. While I certainly would prefer a different outcome, a loss doesn't affect me much. I did spend an hour in HD today though.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I'm not in denial, I just refuse to revel in the very rare agony of defeat. My coping mechanism - and thank God I follow the rarely losing Huskies - is (and no snickers, I'm a guy - a guy's guy booyah) to shop! So today I have been on the hunt for a Nikon BDC recticle 3X9 scope and mounts for a Marlin 336 from 1962 in really premo shape I found at a ... are you ready...Gun Show in 2011. Hasten to add it was a dealer sale with federal background check (how my heart pounds every time the call is made. Have they found me out yet!!) I'm cheaper than dirt, of course, but this loss hurt, so ... On line shopping has brought success! I feel better.

Anyone care to share a coping strategy they use in situations such as this?

I traded in a Model 94, 30-30 for a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington in the early 60's . I wanted the side eject so that I could mount optics. I put a Weaver 4X on it. A most excellent deer rifle.

Punching some holes in paper or even destroying some beer cans might be a good coping mechanism.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It's a game. While I certainly would prefer a different outcome, a loss doesn't affect me much. I did spend an hour in HD today though.
This may be the proverbial "good loss." A 2 pt OT loss to a top 10 team on the road doesn't hurt our RPI and is likely to be a wake up call. No one is going to hand us #10. This team has a lot to work on. Best to find that out in November rather than March.

Reaction Score
that was heartbreaking... even as I intellectually know that we have to lose sometime. I was a little surprised that the world was still turning and I had to go to work as usual. My coping mechanism was a really nice coffee and to stay away from the Boneyard until I could deal with the varying opinions.

Then, I remember going through this a few weeks ago with Tom Brady and the Pats. I remembered the pain from the last time the team lost. And that I have faith that everyone gave their best effort. Sometimes it is easier to fix something that was broken than it is to fix something that worked. And, sometime that alignment of everyone's best effort collides with a weird night and growing pains.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I coped by spending a couple of hours this morning touring the Barcadi distillery in San Juan, and reveling in the idea that for the time being, the Huskies can fly a bit under the radar. Pretty confident we'll still have a great year.

And more philosophically, I think the result, even though I am very disappointed, is good for the overall game.

Reaction Score
I keep reminding myself that at some point, UConn will figure this out, and they might even win another game or two. Then I remembered that I'm also a NY Giants fan. I may not have that luxury this year with them!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I traded in a Model 94, 30-30 for a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington in the early 60's . I wanted the side eject so that I could mount optics. I put a Weaver 4X on it. A most excellent deer rifle.

Punching some holes in paper or even destroying some beer cans might be a good coping mechanism.
Rifles! you use rifles for deer! Join the silent harvest, buy a bow.

Reaction Score
I coped by spending a couple of hours this morning touring the Barcadi distillery in San Juan, and reveling in the idea that for the time being, the Huskies can fly a bit under the radar. Pretty confident we'll still have a great year.

And more philosophically, I think the result, even though I am very disappointed, is good for the overall game.
And it gave us a chance to be gracious in defeat....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Never shot anything as an adult that wasn't paper or a beer can - 24 ozers are great for that. Would love to put my hands on a 35 Rem. some day. Love lever actions. This one is going as a Christmas present to my daughter.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

The beginning was horrible - touching on the loss as it did in graphic detail. But you came on strong with eBay and guitars. If you ever see a Goya Grand Concert F27 for sale alert me instantly!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
This post elicited a really loud LOL!

A Really, really loud LOL

Really, really

Well, the fact is I'm seriously impressed with BY posts today {I didn't read the game thread.) Lots of reasonable commentary, compliments to the Cardinal, and very little whining (maybe I haven't gotten to that yet).

Reaction Score
Not much to cope with as I see it the same as CL82, good loss, wake up call etc. I did not have the displeasure of the second half due to work but the first told me they could be in trouble. I was not suprised at all this morning. Usual UCONN ball movement not there and often coming down and throwing up threes like they were playing UC-Davis.
Going to be a fit in the new pieces / style learning curve with this group and it is very early. My biggest worry is that of the lack of conference competition
could hurt us down the road.
Should we lose one that I would need to cope with it would be get out the gituar like several others have mentioned, and it would be a brews and blues evening....

Reaction Score
Having attended the game yesterday I woke up early and watched a tape of the game. That made me feel worse. So I'm going to get a gelato and this evening attend the Cal-Nevada game. Hopefully, Brittany Boyd can stay out of foul trouble for a change. Also, I keep telling myself it's only a game. Al McGuire used to call sports "a cup of coffee." There are more important things. I guess.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I go and look at the BC basketball results since they left the BigEast. That always cheers me up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom