OT - Fairfield CT LL to LLWS in Williamsport | The Boneyard

OT - Fairfield CT LL to LLWS in Williamsport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Beat New Hampshire 14-0. Pitcher today threw 5 2/3 of 5 hit shutout ball (hit 85 pitch limit w/ 2 outs bottom of 6) - Hope Penders offers :rolleyes:

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Not surprising. Fairfield LL baseball and softball have both been utterly dominant the past half-decade or so. Would be nice for the state to win a LLWS for once.

Reaction Score
Not surprising. Fairfield LL baseball and softball have both been utterly dominant the past half-decade or so. Would be nice for the state to win a LLWS for once.

It's been a bit but CT won in 1951(Stamford), 1952 (Norwalk), 1965 (Windsor Locks) and 1985 (Trumbull team w/ Chris Drury).

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
fairfield is a exploding town in population. there are 4 high schools and 2 colleges. the $$ is flowing in that town. its crazy. fairfield has been good for years at baseball as the population grew. they only have like 1 or 2 leagues for kids that age group to play baseball. so the little league program drwas from like 60k (total pop) kids in the town. that leaves u with a above average amount of kids to pick thru. add a fairly well off town $$ wise and its the perfect formula. compare that to a norwalk. norwalk has way better baseball but it has at least 8 different leagues in it(little league, babe ruth, cal rip etc etc...) which divides the 80kish population up so much that its hard to have crazy good teams liek that. i will be rooting for fairfield but i guess i'm just one that sees how silly it is for fairfield to be having such great teams.

i'll take a group of kids from stamford, greenwhich, norwalk, trumbull, shelton and danbury before fairfield on a baseball field. but what fairfield has built little league wise is impressive, congrats to them.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
It's been a bit but CT won in 1951(Stamford), 1952 (Norwalk), 1965 (Windsor Locks) and 1985 (Trumbull team w/ Chris Drury).
Trumbull won in 1989

Reaction Score
California is the only state with more LLWS championships than CT (7-4). New Jersey and Pennsylvania also have 4.

Reaction Score
fairfield is a exploding town in population. there are 4 high schools and 2 colleges. the $$ is flowing in that town. its crazy. fairfield has been good for years at baseball as the population grew. they only have like 1 or 2 leagues for kids that age group to play baseball. so the little league program drwas from like 60k (total pop) kids in the town. that leaves u with a above average amount of kids to pick thru. add a fairly well off town $$ wise and its the perfect formula. compare that to a norwalk. norwalk has way better baseball but it has at least 8 different leagues in it(little league, babe ruth, cal rip etc etc...) which divides the 80kish population up so much that its hard to have crazy good teams liek that. i will be rooting for fairfield but i guess i'm just one that sees how silly it is for fairfield to be having such great teams.

i'll take a group of kids from stamford, greenwhich, norwalk, trumbull, shelton and danbury before fairfield on a baseball field. but what fairfield has built little league wise is impressive, congrats to them.

What a silly, petty and incorrect post. Just for starters:

1. LIttle League rules limit the population base that can be in any particular little league. Fairfield has two leagues for a population of under 60k and is within the limits.

2. Fairfield's population has barely grown in the 28 years I have lived in the town. Why in the world would you make up facts?

3. Many of the leagues you mention don't compete with Little League == they are leagues for different age groups.

I had two children play in Fairfield American, and am not a fan of the organization that runs it, but that is a ridiculous post. You are what your record says, and FAirfield American has become the dominant program in Fairfield County. Period

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
in norwalk every year there is a tney for all the different leagues all star teams to play each other at a certain age group. kinlock or something like that. there are 8 different leagues in that. thats a lot of leagues for kids to be spread across. little league doesn't get the better players in big towns because in big towns there are better players who play leagues like cranbury where u can take leads and at a younger age because you are better and can handle the game.

fairfield has 2 league then, well i wasn't wrong...

population has definitely grown in fairfield.

Reaction Score

1. LIttle League rules limit the population base that can be in any particular little league. Fairfield has two leagues for a population of under 60k and is within the limits.

2. Fairfield's population has barely grown in the 28 years I have lived in the town. Why in the world would you make up facts?

3. Many of the leagues you mention don't compete with Little League == they are leagues for different age groups.

I had two children play in Fairfield American, and am not a fan of the organization that runs it, but that is a ridiculous post. You are what your record says, and FAirfield American has become the dominant program in Fairfield County. Period

They went to Wiiliamsport in 2010 as well... Good program but highly political/clique-ish (as most strong leagues are).

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

I was aware of the Trumbull championship but not the others. Thanks. My post was referencing recent history, where CT has sent a number of quality teams (including Fairfield) capable of winning a championship but has fallen just short.

As for Fairfield? I couldn't care less about how the league is run. I care about how the kids play & represent our state, and so far they are doing a great job of that.

Reaction Score
I was aware of the Trumbull championship but not the others. Thanks. My post was referencing recent history, where CT has sent a number of quality teams (including Fairfield) capable of winning a championship but has fallen just short.

As for Fairfield? I couldn't care less about how the league is run. I care about how the kids play & represent our state, and so far they are doing a great job of that.

Hell... 1989 IS recent history for me...

Reaction Score

Cal Ripken is pretty much the direct competitor to Little League in the Northeast. Norwalk has half of their talent pool taken away by Cal Ripken.

Conversely, Greenwich would be nuts in Little League, but they really only play Cal Ripken.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
USC football recruits 8th graders...can Penders go after that pitcher Lucas? Please?

Maybe bring some of those Japanese pitchers with him...

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
2-2 overall. Certainly a strong performance, though their struggles with the California team confound me as Cal did not have overwhelming talent. Perhaps it was a bad match-up.

It's nice to see that CT baseball can be competitive with the rest of the country.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
2-2 overall. Certainly a strong performance, though their struggles with the California team confound me as Cal did not have overwhelming talent. Perhaps it was a bad match-up.

It's nice to see that CT baseball can be competitive with the rest of the country.
Small sample sizes in baseball mean nothing. You could replay a tournament that you need to win 6ish games to win it all and get a different final four every time. So much changes day to day. A pitcher's control, the ability for batters to see pitches effectively, an umpires strike zone etc. All these things are magnified when 12 year old kids are playing the game. I think it was more a coincidence that Fairfield lost twice to the same team than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom