Failure To Respect An Opponent... | The Boneyard

Failure To Respect An Opponent...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
...can cause some serious humiliation. Ask team USA soccer. A 2-2 tie with (wait for it)... Columbia.

Should have been 5-0 USA. If they weren't motivated before, they surely are now. This is comparable to Geno's kids losing to East Carolina.

Reaction Score
Correct. Also, I think the booing has rattled Hope Solo... despite what she says about it. They're lucky they got help in their group.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
...can cause some serious humiliation. Ask team USA soccer. A 2-2 tie with (wait for it)... Columbia.

Should have been 5-0 USA. If they weren't motivated before, they surely are now. This is comparable to Geno's kids losing to East Carolina.

It's embarrassing for the U.S. National Team to be tied with an Ivy.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Hopefully for the WNST the lesson in learned. You cannot simply throw your cleats on the pitch and expect the other team to genuflect. Yet ladies, win and all is forgotten and forgiven.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Correct. Also, I think the booing has rattled Hope Solo... despite what she says about it. They're lucky they got help in their group.

The Brazilians boo everyone that's not Brazilian or of Latin decent or South American in some way or if you are the overwhelming favorite regardless of whether it's USA or not. They were booing Canada yesterday. More than anything it's annoying. I haven't heard them boo during a medal ceremony... yet. Wouldn't be surprised if they did though.

Reaction Score

Columbia University has an Olympic team? I thought they tied Colombia.... :)

Reaction Score
Watched the game. Both sides seemed on the verge of physical collapse. Americans were incredibly sloppy, and the Colombians seemed totally knackered.

Collapse by Team USA. The Colombians should have been kept out of the American zone. Yes, even though they were exhausted, a Coach Geno would have been all over them for dogging it.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Watched the game. Both sides seemed on the verge of physical collapse. Americans were incredibly sloppy, and the Colombians seemed totally knackered.

Collapse by Team USA. The Colombians should have been kept out of the American zone. Yes, even though they were exhausted, a Coach Geno would have been all over them for dogging it.
Agreed. I'm also not really fond of changing up the line up in the Olympics in the 1st half of ANY soccer game regardless of opponent. It generally never goes well.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I'm hoping it was the heat. Or 3rd game in a few days. Or 4 new starters with 2 players playing different positions. Or a combination of the 3. The whole team played pretty poorly.

However, if Solo had not had 2 huge howlers, they would have won easily 2-0. They held a 65%-35% possession advantage and outshot Colombia 16-5.

End the end though they topped the group and that was the objective of the group stage. On to the knockouts now.

Reaction Score
US game plan was the factor in their tie. Too much passing back to the defense. We clearly have better players but playing not to lose was a problem.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I did not think it was lack of respect, I just saw a second half (missed the first) that was sloppy. In a competition like this you have to find moments to rest key players - with two wins they were already through to the knock out phase, so pretty much any team manager would look to rest older players or ones that were dealing with recovery or newly acquired bumps and bruises. And both goals were really weak efforts by Solo - don't think I have ever seen her play so poorly.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The Brazilians boo everyone that's not Brazilian or of Latin decent or South American in some way or if you are the overwhelming favorite regardless of whether it's USA or not. They were booing Canada yesterday. More than anything it's annoying. I haven't heard them boo during a medal ceremony... yet. Wouldn't be surprised if they did though.

In other words, a lot of people moved from Philly to Rio.

Reaction Score

although it was a bad result, they didn't get any help in their group. They beat the top two teams and tied the third. All they needed was a tie to win the group, no matter what else happened.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping it was the heat. Or 3rd game in a few days. Or 4 new starters with 2 players playing different positions. Or a combination of the 3. The whole team played pretty poorly.

However, if Solo had not had 2 huge howlers, they would have won easily 2-0. They held a 65%-35% possession advantage and outshot Colombia 16-5.

End the end though they topped the group and that was the objective of the group stage. On to the knockouts now.

Agree 100% - except that five starter were rested, not four: Alex Morgan, Tobin Heath, Julie Johnston, Meghan Klingenberg, and Allie Long. That is a lot of talent not in the starting lineup.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Agree 100% - except that five starter were rested, not four: Alex Morgan, Tobin Heath, Julie Johnston, Meghan Klingenberg, and Allie Long. That is a lot of talent not in the starting lineup.
I think I was counting Johnston already being out with her groin problem.

If everyone was healthy I'd like to see

Morgan
Rapinoe-Lloyd-Pugh
Horan-O'Brien
Klingenberg-Sauerbraun-Johnston-O'Hara
Hope

Reaction Score
I think I was counting Johnston already being out with her groin problem.

If everyone was healthy I'd like to see

Morgan
Rapinoe-Lloyd-Pugh
Horan-O'Brien
Klingenberg-Sauerbraun-Johnston-O'Hara
Hope

I agree on Horan ahead of Long. She produces a lot more offensive chances, although I expect Ellis to start Long. Rapinoe being healthy is a big "if". Her being fit and ready to excel at this level is an even bigger "if". I'd be surprised if she starts any more games in this tournament, although I could see her subbing in if the U.S. is trailing. At this point, I like Tobin Heath a lot more than Rapinoe. It sounds like Johnston should be good to go in the next game. That is clearly a big upgrade over Engen. Also gives them a weapon in the air on direct/corner kicks - an area where they could use the help.

If everyone is healthy, that leaves them some good talent to sub in for the last 25 minutes of a game - Dunn (or Pugh), Rapinoe, Horan (assuming Long starts), and Press. That group can definitely add offensive spark if they need it.

P.S. I know you meant "Brian", not O'Brien.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I was just parroting the earlier post. ;)

C'mon guys! Give me a break. I was so distraught after the soccer "defeat," my spelling took it tough. And after discovering my error, it was too late to edit it.

It's so unlike the BY for anyone to fuss over spelling, grammar, or usage. ;-)

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I

P.S. I know you meant "Brian", not O'Brien.
687474703a2f2f7777772e72656372656174657765622e636f6d2e61752f77702d636f6e74656e742f75706c6f6164732f323031342f30322f686f6d65722d636f6d70757465722d646f682e6a7067

Reaction Score
The US didn't play bad. They played efficient. They gave up two dangerous set pieces and gave up two goals to them. Solo made two terrible errors. She was really out of sorts. The scary thing is that on the first goal she made a physical error and on the second one she mad a mental error. Up until the Colombia game she has been world class, despite the fan taunting. It will say a lot about her mental strength if she can bounce back from this game.

Reaction Score
If you were going to have a game with so many mental errors, especially by the keeper, THAT was the game to have them. While it wasn't pretty the objective was simply to grab a point out of the match and rest some starters. Mission accomplished - on to Sweden.

Reaction Score
Isn't this post a "Failure to Respect" as you assume Colombia is not any good. Maybe they played their A game. It is actually disrespectful to create a thread about it here.

Reaction Score

If booing causes this the team is in big trouble. It could not have been any easier for a world class goalie. Right at you for any easy scoop / block. No diving left, right or jumping needed. Simply stop the ball that went right through her hands and legs. Here's hoping she shakes it off....:D

USA USA USA

Reaction Score
Isn't this post a "Failure to Respect" as you assume Colombia is not any good. Maybe they played their A game. It is actually disrespectful to create a thread about it here.

Columbia is not a great team - but they are actually pretty good by world standards. They are ranked 23rd out of 177 in the world rankings and are the second best South American team by a wide margin. Many will recall that they beat powerhouse France in last year' s World Cup. Also gave the U.S. a somewhat competitive game in the knockout stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom