Facey and talent | The Boneyard

Facey and talent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kentan has a lot of talent and is still just scratching the surface, would like to see him get a bit more of a green light because the kid has skills. We've had some bad breaks so far this year but all the posts about us lacking talent and this being a way less talented team than Calhoun's squads is hogwash. There are a couple of kids who may not have played on many Calhoun teams but Boat, Hamilton, Purvis, Brimah and Facey have a lot of talent.

Reaction Score
He does have some talent. The foot work on that post up spin move was nice. Does that equate ton green light?... No.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Remember, Facey got screwed over by the NCAA last season (what else is new) and had a late start of sorts, and a lot of uncertainty going into last season. But he was a top 100 player coming out of HS, with offers from UCLA, USC, Memphis, etc, and his AAU point guard was Terrence Samuel.

The kid had more talent than the 'yard seemed to give him credit for. I guess the result of his lack of PT on a team sorely in need of bigs who could/would rebound last year. I think he fancied himself too much of an outside player, when he was needed inside. He's taken the inside needs to heart this season, and is a rebounder on a team that needs rebounds. But lets not forget that he hit 2 of the 3 threes he attempted last year, and does have outside skills, as well as pretty athletic moves in the lane. He made a spin move today that I thought was DHam until he started sprinting back up court.

I think he's the perfect UConn role player. Good, willing to work his off to get better, and to adapt to what's needed. He'll be here 4 years, and by next year will be a big part of the offense. Think somewhere between Gavin Edwards and Donny Marshal.

Reaction Score
Potential is not the same thing as talent.

I like Facey and he has plenty of potential. But pick almost any uconn team from 1995 to now and he wouldn't be starting on many of them. He has a chance to be very good but that doesn't mean he is right now (consistently at least).

Overall this team has tons of potential. We're far from a finished product.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Funny that Husky91 hasn't chimed in after watching a nifty spin move in traffic and a step back 10 footer that was nothing but net. He just keeps getting better week to week (with an occasional half step back) and he will be a big part of a possible championship run next year if a few pieces fall into place.

Reaction Score
sledteam not passing any eye ballstests yet; even blind dudes would concur
lubin listed at sixfooot8 on tv graphic today, yet when he runs near tsam the too look to similar in stature; whus up, looks likes yet again rickee lesss recrootin jobber
ball rarely whipped into bigs yet when most receive wit except of amoeba; it hot potato head games and they whip it anywhere pronto which screems i donts wants it, get that dang thang away from me cuse i will f up and i knows it; amoeba gets it and defense know it never leaving his mitts; always predictable which is way non hoopsters plays cuse they not good

what ups wit newrip upfake ala stix...dis not goods omen; as predicted newrip knots 3 balls man; hebe regreesin to mean rapidity

am i seein tenpin bowlin.. purv drilled a bunch of candle sticks today on way past hoop on tangent to mens room it appeared, hebe trying for a wicked won and tsam luv to drive it but noticed facial expression as he nurd tin like i be done at that point and closed eyes to protect them so he never make shoot cuse he cant see then

aLOT OF activity wit no purpose, team not wit it and look like disarray of pop popgun vs aray of weaponry; slow movin parts or stationary purviewers so many time O is really trois on cinq

canoe canoe look like just got off dee boat wit 3 ball chucks vs bigger defender where he elevate to ski, then slight fade wit look of liittle hope on visage; %'s confirm

junior should be in grad school pronto for many moons

prreecher man on sides wit bad body cues all dee time; he now know he shoppin kmats

omar look good and lookin for anybody help

nolan listed wit no nil natta zero stats on ukonhukies dot comm; what the heck?

ihop still bunny

caw

Reaction Score

I like Facey and he has plenty of potential. But pick almost any uconn team from 1995 to now and he wouldn't be starting on many of them. He has a chance to be very good but that doesn't mean he is right now (consistently at least).

Well there is a good amount of talent since 1995 at the four. He would get PT on quite a few teams though.

1995 - Donny Marshall
1996 - Kirk King
1997 - Kitk King until suspension then Kevin Freeman
1998, 1999, 2000 - Kevin Freeman
2001 - Johnny Selvie
2002 - Johnny Selvie
2003 - Hilton? White?
2004, 2005, 2006 - Josh Boone
2007, 2008, 2009 - Jeff Adrien
2010 - Edwards
2011 - Mish-mash of Smith/Olander/Oriakhi
2012 - Oriakhi
2013 - Daniels?
2014 - Daniels

Probably 2003 because I can't think of who the starter was that year but didn't White start a few games? Maybe 2011, because Olander. 12 years of Freeman/Boone/Daniels/Adrien.

Reaction Score
He was wonderful today in an open court most often against a small team. That's a start because he didn't so this against either Yale or Columbia. He fought his way in on a couple off rebounds and made a couple nifty moves inside for sure. He threw 3 awful passes which is his weakness for now, can't give it to him anywhere unless he has an out, but hopefully that gets better. By the way I preface this with there were a few sloppy passes in attempts to run out so not all on him.

Like him a lot, but where he is finding his niches is fine. They don't need to design much around him although I do believe he will eventually be able to make 12-15footers in traffic, not now! His improvement is fun to watch. Let it take its time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
By the end of the year he will be a key part of the pick and pop. Also, his ability to get 2-3 baskets a game off of offensive rebounds is a big plus.

He is still a work in progress, but expect most of his games to be 8-12 points and 8-10 rebounds.

Reaction Score
He is still a work in progress, but expect most of his games to be 8-12 points and 8-10 rebounds.

If he averages 10-8 the rest of the year id be thrilled!

He doesnt have the same skill set but if he with his very good footwork if he develops a few post moves he could be a Hakim Warrick type player for us but with a jumpshot. Its going to be interesting what kind of leap Facey and Brimah make over the summer. I think by summer theyre going to be pretty good and maybe even good enough to ease the blow if Stone commits elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Just because there is one video of him making shots in an empty gym doesn't mean he's a year from pulling up for three. That video gave ppl the total wrong idea of kentan Facey.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If he averages 10-8 the rest of the year id be thrilled!

He doesnt have the same skill set but if he with his very good footwork if he develops a few post moves he could be a Hakim Warrick type player for us but with a jumpshot. Its going to be interesting what kind of leap Facey and Brimah make over the summer. I think by summer theyre going to be pretty good and maybe even good enough to ease the blow if Stone commits elsewhere.

It could be closer to 8 points and 7 rebounds but I believe he's getting very, very close to being a money player. By that I mean he's consistently on the floor for 25-30 minutes and his output is going to be consistent.

KO made a great point about TSam in the Courant earlier this week. He said TSam needs to adjust his drive to the basket game because he is now on teams' scouting reports. It's a badge of honor. Last year TSam was an unknown and teams played him straight up. Now TSam has to adjust to the adjustment.

How does this affect Facey? Hopefully not much. His points are coming from alley oops, put backs and drop offs in the lane. You can't really game plan against his hustle and hops. His high school scouting report of being a quick, high hopper have been spot on. His quickness off the ground to his apex for rebounding is elite.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And to clarify the numbers I see him hitting, I believe he's going to have many more 10pts/8rebound games than 5 and 3. I'll be measuring his progress by his median numbers not his mean. He still probably has a few clunkers in him, but not many.

caw

Reaction Score
Just because there is one video of him making shots in an empty gym doesn't mean he's a year from pulling up for three. That video gave ppl the total wrong idea of kentan Facey.

Well he was 2/3 last year and I want to say had one more with a toe on the line. This season has he even taken a jumper before today?

Reaction Score

Mike Hayes started, so did Marcus White. Gavin Edwards. There are a few teams he would have upgraded.

Reaction Score
chapwilvaug72 said:
sledteam not passing any eye ballstests yet; even blind dudes would concur lubin listed at sixfooot8 on tv graphic today, yet when he runs near tsam the too look to similar in stature; whus up, looks likes yet again rickee lesss recrootin jobber ball rarely whipped into bigs yet when most receive wit except of amoeba; it hot potato head games and they whip it anywhere pronto which screems i donts wants it, get that dang thang away from me cuse i will f up and i knows it; amoeba gets it and defense know it never leaving his mitts; always predictable which is way non hoopsters plays cuse they not good what ups wit newrip upfake ala stix...dis not goods omen; as predicted newrip knots 3 balls man; hebe regreesin to mean rapidity am i seein tenpin bowlin.. purv drilled a bunch of candle sticks today on way past hoop on tangent to mens room it appeared, hebe trying for a wicked won and tsam luv to drive it but noticed facial expression as he nurd tin like i be done at that point and closed eyes to protect them so he never make shoot cuse he cant see then aLOT OF activity wit no purpose, team not wit it and look like disarray of pop popgun vs aray of weaponry; slow movin parts or stationary purviewers so many time O is really trois on cinq canoe canoe look like just got off dee boat wit 3 ball chucks vs bigger defender where he elevate to ski, then slight fade wit look of liittle hope on visage; %'s confirm junior should be in grad school pronto for many moons prreecher man on sides wit bad body cues all dee time; he now know he shoppin kmats omar look good and lookin for anybody help nolan listed wit no nil natta zero stats on ukonhukies dot comm; what the heck? ihop still bunny

I hate when I check the board without logging in and I have to see this nonsense. I wonder if this clown still thinks this trash is entertaining.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I hate when I check the board without logging in and I have to see this nonsense. I wonder if this clown still thinks this trash is entertaining.
It occurred to me recently, when experiencing the same, that he may be a creation of Tom and/or Fishy that, like the blocking software, increases the likelihood that you do log in.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Mike Hayes started, so did Marcus White. Gavin Edwards. There are a few teams he would have upgraded.

How many games did Hayes start? And if only Facey was the rebounder White was. But overall, I think Facey is showing great progress and he is being handled just fine by the staff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kenton really seems to be taking advantage of his playing time this year. I remember a as an incoming frosh, we had him pegged as the starting center. He seems much more suited to the 4.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Kenton really seems to be taking advantage of his playing time this year. I remember a as an incoming frosh, we had him pegged as the starting center. He seems much more suited to the 4.

The "we" you refer to is a small group.

Not too many people expected him to spend most of his time as a center. He has always been pegged as a PF who could slide in to the 5 spot in certain situations such as foul trouble or very small opponents.

Reaction Score
How many games did Hayes start? And if only Facey was the rebounder White was. But overall, I think Facey is showing great progress and he is being handled just fine by the staff.

It surprised me that he started, but if you look at tcfs archive of games, go back to Hayes's years, and you'll see him on the court at the start of games a few times.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I would rather see Kentan develop into a double/double guy down low. The first time since 2009 we have a natural rebounder over 6'1" and we want to draw him away from the basket?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

And you had to quote this in a way that it briefly crossed my eyes? It was enough that someone earlier in this thread wrote the name of the 90 degrees askew poster. Is my safe haven being breached? Nah, both are just good reminders of the serenity that comes from Ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom