FA is not happy with FIFA | The Boneyard

FA is not happy with FIFA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Blatter is a scumbag. The whole organization is a show. The fact Russia and Qatar beat out England and the US for 2018 and 2022 cups is laughable. Curious how the Qatar investigation goes. Just read that FIFA just confirmed that Russia is definitely keeping 2018 WC.

Reaction Score
Link
Here's link to article confirming FIFA will not strip Russia of 2018 WC.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Link
Here's link to article confirming FIFA will not strip Russia of 2018 WC.
If things continue on their current course in regards to Russia/Ukraine, I'll be curious if any nations seriously backup threats to boycott the WC in Russia. No one has said anything yet but it will come.

It was interesting to see that three players on a Ukrainian team who is a known team and I can't begin to spell it, refused to get back on the plane when the team played a friendly in France recently. I believe UEFA ruled that no Russian and Ukrainian team will be drawn against each other and no matches will be played in Israel during Europa or Champions League play.

Reaction Score
If things continue on their current course in regards to Russia/Ukraine, I'll be curious if any nations seriously backup threats to boycott the WC in Russia. No one has said anything yet but it will come.

It was interesting to see that three players on a Ukrainian team who is a known team and I can't begin to spell it, refused to get back on the plane when the team played a friendly in France recently. I believe UEFA ruled that no Russian and Ukrainian team will be drawn against each other and no matches will be played in Israel during Europa or Champions League play.

I was thinking the same thing. I am planning on going in 2018 (after Brazil, I'm hooked on going to WC's!!). Really no idea what the state of the world (that region) will be like in 4 years.

The team in Ukraine is Shakhtar Donetsk, one of the two top Ukrainian team. Here's a link to the article. 6 South American players on the team stayed in France after a friendly, refusing to go back to Ukraine. The city of Donetsk is currently controlled by pro-Russian rebels. I wouldn't go back either. Shakhtar is playing Champions League football this season too. Friggin crazy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Blatter is a scumbag. The whole organization is a show. The fact Russia and Qatar beat out England and the US for 2018 and 2022 cups is laughable. Curious how the Qatar investigation goes. Just read that FIFA just confirmed that Russia is definitely keeping 2018 WC.

Russia is at least a country and their oligarchs own half of the Thames waterfront nowadays. The US got beat by a country the size of freaking Rhode Island located in the middle of a desert that lacks a professional soccer league. If the US had lost to Australia, a ‘real’ country with the infrastructure and the experience to host large sporting events, I would have been sad; but OK with that.

When is the FIFA report on the Qatar bid coming out? I had no hope that it would do anything until just before the Cup when Adidas, Hyundai, Sony, and Visa all came out against FIFA. Money talks and those 4 provide a large chunk of cash to FIFA.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Did anyone catch the article in SI about the Qatar WC? I was trying to find a link but there is none. It was a very interesting article. I didn't realize or know that the city that the final will be hosted in, not just the stadium the whole city, doesn't even EXIST yet! It's insane. It seemed, from the article that the report that will come out in September is very unlikely to provide anything that would cause FIFA to pull the WC from Qatar. It was interesting too to see the impact that losing the WC would have on Qatar as a country in terms of it's international persuasion. I, honestly, could care less about what happens to Qatar so I really hope they pull the WC.

The article ended with an interesting point that these sporting events (Olympics, WC) have gotten so out of hand that fewer and fewer countries are even bidding for them. He said that recently, the IOC was ready to trim it's bids for the '22 (I believe) Winter Olympics from 3, to, 3! Every other country pulled their bid before the cut because of costs or other reasons. It seems more and more likely that only major countries with large infrastructures will be able to host these games at the current rate of cost and growth. It's a shame, especially for the WC, that poorer countries aren't able to throw their hat in the ring for something like this. Even a joint bid of countries would be interesting.

Reaction Score
Did anyone catch the article in SI about the Qatar WC? I was trying to find a link but there is none. It was a very interesting article. I didn't realize or know that the city that the final will be hosted in, not just the stadium the whole city, doesn't even EXIST yet! It's insane. It seemed, from the article that the report that will come out in September is very unlikely to provide anything that would cause FIFA to pull the WC from Qatar. It was interesting too to see the impact that losing the WC would have on Qatar as a country in terms of it's international persuasion. I, honestly, could care less about what happens to Qatar so I really hope they pull the WC.

The article ended with an interesting point that these sporting events (Olympics, WC) have gotten so out of hand that fewer and fewer countries are even bidding for them. He said that recently, the IOC was ready to trim it's bids for the '22 (I believe) Winter Olympics from 3, to, 3! Every other country pulled their bid before the cut because of costs or other reasons. It seems more and more likely that only major countries with large infrastructures will be able to host these games at the current rate of cost and growth. It's a shame, especially for the WC, that poorer countries aren't able to throw their hat in the ring for something like this. Even a joint bid of countries would be interesting.

I just scanned it. The article was far too soft. I may have missed it but I didn't see any mention of the hundreds of indentured servants that have already died due to heat exhaustion working on some of the sites. Another article I read that an estimated 2,500 workers will die working on the stadiums and facilities between now and 2022. That's just obscene.

I am kind of hoping that there is an uprising from the FA and the other big nations because the tournament will have to be held in November.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I just scanned it. The article was far too soft. I may have missed it but I didn't see any mention of the hundreds of indentured servants that have already died due to heat exhaustion working on some of the sites. Another article I read that an estimated 2,500 workers will die working on the stadiums and facilities between now and 2022. That's just obscene.

I am kind of hoping that there is an uprising from the FA and the other big nations because the tournament will have to be held in November.
He did make mention of it. 430 Nepalese and 567 Indian worker deaths have already been reported with more, clearly happening. Supposedly their system makes it that migrant workers must have sponsors who control their exit visas, thus preventing them from leaving the country legally. The article kept saying that possibly this WC would cause Qatar to change their ways due to pressure from the outside, blah blah. I don't buy it for a second and neither did a few human rights leaders who were quoted in the article.

It will be interesting to see what happens if it's moved to November. The article mentioned how Fox might want compensation as November is prime NFL and college football season, not dead time like June-July (sorry baseball). It will be very intriguing to see what happens

Reaction Score
He did make mention of it. 430 Nepalese and 567 Indian worker deaths have already been reported with more, clearly happening. Supposedly their system makes it that migrant workers must have sponsors who control their exit visas, thus preventing them from leaving the country legally. The article kept saying that possibly this WC would cause Qatar to change their ways due to pressure from the outside, blah blah. I don't buy it for a second and neither did a few human rights leaders who were quoted in the article.

It will be interesting to see what happens if it's moved to November. The article mentioned how Fox might want compensation as November is prime NFL and college football season, not dead time like June-July (sorry baseball). It will be very intriguing to see what happens

The Guardian out of the UK has been all over the Qatar WC. It's their report the busted open the bribery surrounding the Qatar bid that resulted in Adidas, Hyundai, Sony and Visa (4 of FIFa's largest sponsors) stating that the Cup needs to be moved should the bribery allegations be proven. Pressure from sponsors over the bribes, over worker treatment, and both UK and US (Fox) broadcasters' meltdown over moving the Cup to the winter because Sepp did not see in the technical report that hosting a Cup in a dessert in the summer would be problematic will be what moves FIFA to take action. Money talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom