F4: new member of the club | The Boneyard

F4: new member of the club

Reaction Score
In the last 10 years, the 40 final4 slots have been taken by just 15 schools. We get a new addition with the Az -in winner tonight
  • UConn 10
  • Nd 7
  • Stan 5
  • Bay 3
  • Lou, SC, Miss St, Md 2
  • Okla, Ore, Ore St, Cal, Syr, Wash, TAMU
ACC 10 / PAC 9 / SEC 5 / BXII 4 / BiG 2 / UConn 10

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And over the last 19 years: 76 slots, 25 schools

• UConn 16
  • ND 8
  • Stanford 7
  • Tenn 6
  • LSU 5
  • Baylor 4
  • Lou, MD, Duke, Okla 3
  • Miss St, UNC, SoCar 2
  • One (by current conference):
    • Cal, Ore, Ore St, Wash
    • Mich St, Minn, Purd, Rutg
    • Syracuse
    • Texas
    • TAMU
    • Missouri St
ACC 17 / SEC 16 / PAC 11 / BXII 8 / BiG 7

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And over the last 19 years: 76 slots, 25 schools

• UConn 16
  • ND 8
  • Stanford 7
  • Tenn 6
  • LSU 5
  • Baylor 4
  • Lou, MD, Duke, Okla 3
  • Miss St, UNC, SoCar 2
  • One (by current conference):
    • Cal, Ore, Ore St, Wash
    • Mich St, Minn, Purd, Rutg
    • Syracuse
    • Texas
    • TAMU
    • Missouri St
ACC 17 / SEC 16 / PAC 11 / BXII 8 / BiG 7
So you're saying the ACC as a whole (and if we include teams that actually made it in different conferences) has had more FF than Uconn? Hunh, who would have thunk it. :cool:

And the SEC, if you sneak TA&M into their total rather than the B12 tied Uconn?!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Add another team from the Pac 12 to the list. Half of their teams have made a FF in the last decade. Nobody else is even close to that.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Add another team from the Pac 12 to the list. Half of their teams have made a FF in the last decade. Nobody else is even close to that.
What's interesting is two of those teams (Washington and Cal) have free-fallen to the bottom of the barrel since reaching their Final Fours. Certainly hasn't always translated to sustained success. On the flip side, one of the better P12 programs over the past ~6 years, UCLA, has yet to surpass the Elite 8.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I think all those Final Four teams from the P12 are winless in the national semis. Stanford certainly has a great chance of breaking that streak, and although Arizona will be an underdog, its defense can certainly keep them in the game.

Reaction Score
What's interesting is two of those teams (Washington and Cal) have free-fallen to the bottom of the barrel since reaching their Final Fours. Certainly hasn't always translated to sustained success. On the flip side, one of the better P12 programs over the past ~6 years, UCLA, has yet to surpass the Elite 8.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I think all those Final Four teams from the P12 are winless in the national semis. Stanford certainly has a great chance of breaking that streak, and although Arizona will be an underdog, its defense can certainly keep them in the game.

Stanford made it to the title game in 2008 and 2010. They would have won a title potentially in 2017 had Karlie Samuelson not been injured in the FF against South Carolina. Much like Didi Richards against UConn circa 2021.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

I think you see that more in men's hoops, a random Final 4 appearance sometimes has zero bearing on continued high level success. But it can happen in wcbb too. Especially if you replace the coach who led you to the Final 4 w/ a coach who can't recruit, doesn't develop players very well, and has no offensive scheme. :oops:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So you're saying the ACC as a whole (and if we include teams that actually made it in different conferences) has had more FF than Uconn? Hunh, who would have thunk it. :cool:

And the SEC, if you sneak TA&M into their total rather than the B12 tied Uconn?!
NO, unfortunately VG did not parse out the affiliation at the time of achieving the Final Four.
ND had 4 in BigEast and 4 in ACC
Louisville had 2 in Big East and 1 in ACC
Maryland had 1 in ACC and 2 in Big10
Texas A&M was in Big12 not SEC

Big East had 17 (10+4+2+1)
SEC had 15 (6+5+2+2)
Big12 had 8 (4+3+1)
ACC had 10 (4+3+1+1+1)
PAC12 had 13 (7+2+1+1+1+1)
Big10 had 5 (2+1+1+1)

So the old Big East was the Queen of the WCBB!

Plebe

Reaction Score
Stanford made it to the title game in 2008 and 2010. They would have won a title potentially in 2017 had Karlie Samuelson not been injured in the FF against South Carolina. Much like Didi Richards against UConn circa 2021.
Yes but I was responding to a comment about the last decade. I don't consider 2010 to be part the last ten years.

Coulda woulda shoulda. I'm sure quite a few of the Final Four teams had one or more key players compromised by injury, including UConn in both its championship and non-championship years.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think you see that more in men's hoops, a random Final 4 appearance sometimes has zero bearing on continued high level success. But it can happen in wcbb too. Especially if you replace the coach who led you to the Final 4 w/ a coach who can't recruit, doesn't develop players very well, and has no offensive scheme. :oops:
Don't forget the part where the coach who led you to the Final Four left the cupboard all but bare because he's barely recruited anyone significant since the graduating class. The successor was not set up for success.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
In the past, Cal has gotten lucky at times with local players wanting to go there. Then when those players were done, the team's run didn't continue. I do think Charmin Smith has a shot at turning the program around now that she's in charge.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Don't forget the part where the coach who led you to the Final Four left the cupboard all but bare because he's barely recruited anyone significant since the graduating class. The successor was not set up for success.
McDonald and Melgoza were waiting for Wynn. Certainly better than anyone on the roster awaiting the new coach this time. McDonald didn't transfer out immediately (I looked it up--Wynn hired in April, McDonald left in June). Also you have to consider there were 2 Senior guards from the Final 4 team, a potentially explosive scorer in Romeo, and an up to that point underachieving post player who at least had some size in Strother that were all forced to retire due to injuries. You have those 4 available Wynn's first year and the cupboard isn't nearly as bare as everyone seems to think it was. Injuries certainly weren't Wynn's fault, but neither were they Neighbors'. Just rotten luck.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
NO, unfortunately VG did not parse out the affiliation at the time of achieving the Final Four.
ND had 4 in BigEast and 4 in ACC
Louisville had 2 in Big East and 1 in ACC
Maryland had 1 in ACC and 2 in Big10
Texas A&M was in Big12 not SEC

So the old Big East was the Queen of the WCBB!
Thanks, But you left out the AAC which had 6 in its 6 years of existence!
Corrected:
Big East had 17 (10+4+2+1)
SEC had 15 (6+5+2+2)
PAC12 had 13 (7+2+1+1+1+1)
ACC had 10 (4+3+1+1+1)
Big12 had 8 (4+3+1)
AAC had 6 (6)
Big10 had 5 (2+1+1+1)

No wonder the committee dissed the B10 - the AAC in six years has outperformed the Big10 in 19 years :eek: :cool:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In the last 10 years, the 40 final4 slots have been taken by just 15 schools. We get a new addition with the Az -in winner tonight
  • UConn 10
  • Nd 7
  • Stan 5
  • Bay 3
  • Lou, SC, Miss St, Md 2
  • Okla, Ore, Ore St, Cal, Syr, Wash, TAMU
ACC 10 / PAC 9 / SEC 5 / BXII 4 / BiG 2 / UConn 10
Come on VG, you're better than the simple effort you put forth when summing the conferences...I updated for this year's conference affiliations.
'10-'19...--->'11-'21
AAC-6 --->6
ACC-6 --->6 I am assuming Louisville Loses
PAC-9 --->10 I am assuming Stanford Wins
Big12-5 --->3
Big10-2 --->2
SEC-4 --->5
BigEast-8 --->8

Reaction Score
And over the last 20 years: 80 slots, 26 schools

• UConn 17
  • ND, Stanford 8