Extra Covid year | The Boneyard

Extra Covid year

Reaction Score
It has had, is having and will continue to have a huge impact. Virtually everyone without WNBA pedigree is taking the extra year, quite often as a transfer student. Lots of programs who can’t compete for elite high school students are going to find their missing pieces from less talented but more experienced players who can make an immediate impact.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Baylor coach just mentioned in her post game that the big three for SD were all fifth year players. Could have an impact on mid-major teams similar to the way men's mid majors are stronger because all the P5 teams are populated by 1 and done stars.

Reaction Score
Baylor coach just mentioned in her post game that the big three for SD were all fifth year players. Could have an impact on mid-major teams similar to the way men's mid majors are stronger because all the P5 teams are populated by 1 and done stars.
UCF with their top 7 players with 15 minutes or more have
2 Fifth year seniors.
1 Red Shirt Senior
2 Seniors
2 Juniors.

This could be a very very hard game. Though I haven't seen them play for 1 second.

Reaction Score
UCF with their top 7 players with 15 minutes or more have
2 Fifth year seniors.
1 Red Shirt Senior
2 Seniors
2 Juniors.

This could be a very very hard game. Though I haven't seen them play for 1 second.
I was hoping that UCF would not be in our region. They have a very good coach and play a total physical game. We have the shooters though.

Reaction Score
that's exactly why I had Nc st in the final 4, I might double check but I believe during one of the Acc games this season they had 3 5th/6th year srs.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I had commented in another thread that this season is only the first of four when college athletes will get to play a 5th year. WBB is affected more than any other sport. But there is an unfairness to all of this for HS recruits from the classes of 2021-2024, as players who might otherwise earn significant PT, have to wait their turn behind returning 5th year players using their Covid year.

Reaction Score
Honestly I don't think it's a big deal, with one exception. The Covid year is a one-time blip, it'll be a memory in a couple years. The transfer portal changes are the bigger long term change IMO.

The losers with these changes: less talented HS grads. The talent bar for WCBB has risen and maybe that will translate into better quality and parity in the sport. But some players who made the cut in the past might not now. Harsh reality to be sure, but life (and success) tends to work out that way.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I was hoping that UCF would not be in our region. They have a very good coach and play a total physical game. We have the shooters though.
Yeah, I was rooting for Florida. Didn't want any part of UCF, plus I wanted to beat an SEC team bad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom