Experts explain Dislocated Patella and need for surgery | The Boneyard

Experts explain Dislocated Patella and need for surgery

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
It sounds like six months recovery if not sooner, with full recovery likely. Six months brings us to the end of April.

So, lce should be able to put in a full summer getting ready for 2023-2024.

This is an interesting article, full of lots of information. I found it particularly interesting that two highly qualified surgeons perform the surgery somewhat differently.

Rooting for her!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I mentioned in the other thread that Chelsea Gray dislocated her right patella while at Duke in February 2013. Chelsea did require surgery and of course missed the remainder of the 2012-2013 season. The following January, 2014, Chelsea suffered a fracture of the same patella. She had surgery again to repair the fracture. She sure is doing okay now.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
From the article:

Patella dislocations are common in contact sports such as basketball, hockey and football and also in sports that feature knee-twisting movements, like skiing and tennis. They can also be more common in female athletes for the same reasons ACL injuries are more common in females than males — because of anatomy alignment and knock-kneed tendencies.

Knock-kneed. Shea Ralph.

Reaction Score
Right. Curious whether Ice experienced ligament or tendon damage (or both). I imagine we'll know eventually.
I would think there's probably some ligament damage since surgery was required but it doesn't seem likely that the tendon was ruptured because that was the case with JC Jackson a couple weeks ago and is possibly career ending for him because of the sport and position he plays. It's more traumatic and it's good that we haven't heard that associated with Brady's injury yet.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Right. Curious whether Ice experienced ligament or tendon damage (or both). I imagine we'll know eventually.
I am curious as well. Given that she’s having surgery, she probably experienced some damage. Hopefully, it is minimal. It appears, from reading the article, that they might do surgery if the kneecap was chronically unstable, but I am guessing that she would’ve deferred that to the end of the season if it was an option.

My heart goes out to her. To lose the ability to play, especially right before the season, is such a gut punch.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I mentioned in the other thread that Chelsea Gray dislocated her right patella while at Duke in February 2013. Chelsea did require surgery and of course missed the remainder of the 2012-2013 season. The following January, 2014, Chelsea suffered a fracture of the same patella. She had surgery again to repair the fracture. She sure is doing okay now.
Not much specific information on Chelsea Gray's dislocation injury.

She suffered the injury in February 2013 and had surgery on March 14, 2013. Chelsea was ready to play when the following season started on November 10, 2013, or 8 months later.

Here's a story from July 2013 when she was in the midst of her recovery. It talks about the focus of rehab and recovery.

Chelsea's injury occurred when she collided with her current Las Vegas teammate Dearica Hamby.

Last edited:

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
“A patella — the kneecap — can become dislocated when someone either steps the wrong way and twists their leg awkwardly (often their foot turns inward as their knee turns outward) or takes a direct hit to the knee from contact with another player or the ground. As a result, the kneecap is knocked out of its normal groove.”

We should send a note to the S&C coach and the trainers, advising them to tell players not to step the wrong way, take a hit from other players, or drink milk before practices. All of these are preventable conditions, along with over consumption of Reece's Pieces. That should satisfy the screaming hoards who choose to blame Ice's injury on the staff.

Thanks, Cat, for bringing good information.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom