Expected Result....but | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Expected Result....but

Reaction Score
Charlton is proving to be a D+ upgrade from an F with Guifre. Totally unimpressed with play calling. Mostly, hot garbage. Sticking with Zion is a sure way of going no where the rest of the season.
You can only call plays for what you have to work with.
We don’t have any receivers, we have a true freshmen QB, and have limited running backs as well. UConn just doesn’t have the players to work with.

Reaction Score
This was the best team UConn will face over the next couple of years. NCST is not on the same plane at Michigan. Should be a little more competitive than this game. I am hoping for a similar game to Cuse

This is going to take time and there are games left that UConn can win
you're hoping for a 48 - 14 loss?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The ST coach deserved a cross examination, they were terrible.
The offense has an excuse with injuries...special teams have been pretty bad. The kickers are decent...but that's it.

Reaction Score
Charlton is proving to be a D+ upgrade from an F with Guifre. Totally unimpressed with play calling. Mostly, hot garbage. Sticking with Zion is a sure way of going no where the rest of the season.
No attack, just a friendly observation. When bashing a coach, a foreman on a job or any group leader. It would also be wise to analyze and suggest what the options are. Some do not seem to have a broad knowledge of the situation.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
meh, not mad.

some other scores today:
georgia/south carolina 48-7
kent st/liu 63-10
army/villanova 49-10
oklahoma/nebraska 49-14
dayton/kentucky state 46-3
monmouth/gtown 45-6
central mich/bucknell 41-0
wvirginia/towson 65-7
pennstate/auburn 41-12
miss/georgia tech 42-0
wisconsin/nm state 66-7
minnesota/colorado 49-7
bama/louisiana tech 63-7
southernlouisiana/ccsu 70-6
tenn/akron 63-6
and a whole bunch more....

looks like lots of us got some work to do.

Reaction Score
you're hoping for a 48 - 14 loss?
It’s gonna be worse than that. No Nate Carter and NC State is much better than Syracuse. I expect next week to look a lot like this week.

Reaction Score
No attack, just a friendly observation. When bashing a coach, a foreman on a job or any group leader. It would also be wise to analyze and suggest what the options are. Some do not seem to have a broad knowledge of the situation.

Our roadmap has to be hitting the Portal every year and mixing in several key freshman. Hopefully Mora sent feelers to Michigan QB’s # 7, 8, and 9 after the game. Give him 2-3 more years of rebuilding the roster and that’s likely our future ceiling, then we can be better. Michigan #4 better? I don’t think so, but Syracuse better.

EJ Warner had a decent day for Temple. Over 200 yards passing. Could we do that vs Rutgers now. I doubt it too. Not only are we being beaten, we are being beat up.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
meh, not mad.

some other scores today:
georgia/south carolina 48-7
kent st/liu 63-10
army/villanova 49-10
oklahoma/nebraska 49-14
dayton/kentucky state 46-3
monmouth/gtown 45-6
central mich/bucknell 41-0
wvirginia/towson 65-7
pennstate/auburn 41-12
miss/georgia tech 42-0
wisconsin/nm state 66-7
minnesota/colorado 49-7
bama/louisiana tech 63-7
southernlouisiana/ccsu 70-6
tenn/akron 63-6
and a whole bunch more....

looks like lots of us got some work to do.
Toledo did score 21 but The Ohio whatever put up 77 with a bunch coming from bench players.

From some post game threads and posts some fans seem like they have expectations that are totally unreal. The program is trying to climb out of a deep canyon. The better skill players on O are not available. We are starting our true freshman third string QB against a heavily front loaded tough schedule. That’s just on O where the line is kind of ok but no match right now for the UMs of the world. The D is a whole other issue and the lead D coach is gone for at least most of the season. But Syracuse put 32 up vs Purdue today. They have a really good QB and some other good skill players.

We are what we are right now. Hopefully as the next few seasons come, the number of competitive players will grow on both sides of the ball. In the meantime, being harsh about being creamed by several of our opponents seems other worldly.

Reaction Score
This was the first game since 2003 that I watched out of simple enjoyment for UConn football. I didn’t care about how we played or what the score was, just simply watched. My stomach never turned once. The only thing I saw that made me gasp was Mora’s interaction with the ST coach on the sidelines. I stepped away from the TV for a second, only to return and see Mora grab the guy and scream at him. Can anyone educate me on what the circumstances were that led him to do that? That was the only time I was embarrassed for UConn the whole game.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
more news from yesterday.
College football world reacts to FCS win over Big Ten school
now, that's funny. man, who knew that Incarnate Word (beat the salukis 64-29) was such a powerhouse?
troy is getting grumpy, too.
Troy Aikman: UCLA crowds an 'embarrassment'
i guess that place needs some new a/v stuff, rustoleum, and jennite, too,
but that's just a guess. i really don't know.
'One week later, the Bruins defeated Alabama State and the attendance was better, but not by a significant margin.'
30,000+? look at the pix. this counting fannies stuff is a complete joke.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s gonna be worse than that. No Nate Carter and NC State is much better than Syracuse. I expect next week to look a lot like this week.
Are you sure about that? They beat East Carolina by the slimmest of margins.

Reaction Score
So here's a question for you. Based on what we've seen so far from Zion, would you consider putting in Puma next week if he were healthy? If no, then never mind. But if yes, then someone from the media ought to be doing their job. I was told last night from a seemingly knowledgable source that Puma has fully recovered and is ready to play-- but the coaches won't put him in. I'm certainly in no position to confirm, but questions should be asked.

Reaction Score
You can only call plays for what you have to work with.
We don’t have any receivers, we have a true freshmen QB, and have limited running backs as well. UConn just doesn’t have the players to work with.
Can you call a 5 yard slant? Are those illegal in college football? Many times you’ll see one on one up top with a little bit of space between a WR and corner. Call a damn slant where a somewhat competent QB will hit a wr most of the time.
Can you throw a deep ball once a quarter just to get the defense off your freaking back?

Reaction Score
Can you call a 5 yard slant? Are those illegal in college football? Many times you’ll see one on one up top with a little bit of space between a WR and corner. Call a damn slant where a somewhat competent QB will hit a wr most of the time.
Can you throw a deep ball once a quarter just to get the defense off your freaking back?
Our freshmen QB is not ready to throw a deep ball and the wr’s that have been thrust into playing time due to injury are not capable of beating anyone one-on-one so there is no point in attempting to throw deep balls at this time. Slants into the middle of the field where all the defensive traffic is could be attempted but be prepared for interceptions.

Reaction Score
As for Mora getting on the ST coach.... GOOD! One thing that sticks out to me is our punt alignment. We have 3 defensive lineman Gourdine, Stafford and Watts lined up in a row in front of the punter. I saw no one line up this way in games I looked at. The fact they are D-lineman means they are not used to open field high speed tackling. It is non-sensical to keep this lineup and formation.
We gave up a punt block and a punt return TD. It greatly added to the misery and look of being incompetent. If I was Mora I would be pissed. We removed Harrison from punt receiver and have put him into the lineup on offense . Hope he is successful there.
Our corners need to tackle better especially one on one. Period. It is embarrassing when they dive at the ankles and opponents keep right on going.
Overall our defense is better than last year and that is minus a NFL 3rd round draft pick. Bouyer-Randle and Watts are bringing it as is Jackson obviously.
On offense seeing us bring out Millen and put him in shotgun on a short yardage play was nuts. Enough with the Scott McCummings offense. Have we run a skinney post or as others have pointed out a slant this season? Stop with the screens to the RB. They are getting blown up.
Zion until someone decides otherwise is our starting QB. Puma could be an option when he is ready. Zion just played against a top 10 D with most of our offensive weapons on the sideline. He is not running every time he drops back. He can run but waits for the right time. Our wideouts have to win some battles. Zion does not panic and he will be a good player when we have some support to make the defense honest.
We have to keep practicing to improve and get our plays down. The reverse screwup prevented a first down. These players can win games. Stick with it.

Reaction Score
Our freshmen QB is not ready to throw a deep ball and the wr’s that have been thrust into playing time due to injury are not capable of beating anyone one-on-one so there is no point in attempting to throw deep balls at this time. Slants into the middle of the field where all the defensive traffic is could be attempted but be prepared for interceptions.
There was a play where WR 84 (can't remember his name) dropped a ball downfield where he had position on a CB. Not an easy play, but a play where he could have caught it. Oh well. LET ME SEE MORE OF THAT AGGRESSIVENESS.

Stretch the defense out. Even if the throws down sideline are out of bounds. Try more back shoulders. 3rd and long show me a deep post route. If it gets picked its no different than a 40 yard punt attempt. You have to keep the defense honest. Period.

Throw more slants. If you're terrified of it getting picked, load your WR one one side and target the one and one on the sideline where there isn't defensive help and where the WR is the only one who knows where the ball is going and should be in position to make the catch AS LONG AS THE QB CAN THROW IT NEAR THE NUMBERS. And I'd like to think a Florida QB - even if he's a freshman - can make that throw where there is no one between he and his WR.

We've all sat thru a lot of losses but its more tolerable to watch a loss if we are throwing the ball and taking chances instead of just trying not to lose by "too much".

Reaction Score
He needs to check the mirror on his defensive coach. His DE is giving up the edge.

He did in the postgame. Basically said he was supposed to be a defensive coach but didn’t look like one today. Pretty much every week he has said he has to do better with calls.

Although you really can’t look good with this defensive backfield.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Focusing too much on a game UConn had no chance of being remotely competitive in is a bad idea for Mora, the coaches, the team, the writers and the fans. Hand-wringing over a mismatch destroys confidence and reinforces expectations of failure.

Move on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom