Expected playoff expansion, decreased attendance have college football teams strengthening schedules (Dodd) | The Boneyard

Expected playoff expansion, decreased attendance have college football teams strengthening schedules (Dodd)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
How unfilled by comparison?

Compare the level of open dates (we have four open dates to schedule OOC games per year) in our schedule vs others in the AAC and then with others in the P5. If we dont have some new announcements soon we are kind of falling behind others in terms of filling out the dance card....especially in the back end of the 2020s where many schools have announced long running (sometimes a decade) series with other programs.

Future UConn Football Schedules | FBSchedules.com

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The Rent's official seating capacity has been lowered to 38,066. No idea if anyone has mentioned that. Pretty interesting, though.

Reaction Score
Compare the level of open dates (we have four open dates to schedule OOC games per year) in our schedule vs others in the AAC and then with others in the P5. If we dont have some new announcements soon we are kind of falling behind others in terms of filling out the dance card....especially in the back end of the 2020s where many schools have announced long running (sometimes a decade) series with other programs.

Future UConn Football Schedules | FBSchedules.com
Not sure what you mean. This is a pretty full forward schedule. Next three years filled. 2022 and 2023 each have 2 P5 opponents and only need one FCS and one G5 opponent per year.

Reaction Score
The Rent's official seating capacity has been lowered to 38,066. No idea if anyone has mentioned that. Pretty interesting, though.

It’s always been that way... the 40k includes standing room/stadium capacity - the 38k+ is permanent seat number.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Not sure what you mean. This is a pretty full forward schedule. Next three years filled. 2022 and 2023 each have 2 P5 opponents and only need one FCS and one G5 opponent per year.

I see you looked closely.

I’m looking at the long range because obviously there isn’t an issue in the near term.

Number of OOC games booked by UConn in 2023 and beyond: 3

Others:
Temple: 10
Cindy: 16
ECU: 15
Houston: 13
Memphis: 6
SMU: 5
Tulane: 23
Tulsa: 12
UCF: 2!!! <— plus they have a bunch of open dates in the near term! Danny White backlash? There is a good national story here for some writer.
USF: 13

BC: 15
Virginia Tech: 35!
WV: 10
Penn State: 10
Buffalo: 9
Maryland: 10
Purdue: 16

Reaction Score
I see you looked closely.

I’m looking at the long range because obviously there isn’t an issue in the near term.

Number of OOC games booked by UConn in 2023 and beyond: 3

Others:
Temple: 10
Cindy: 16
ECU: 15
Houston: 13
Memphis: 6
SMU: 5
Tulane: 23
Tulsa: 12
UCF: 2!!! <— plus they have a bunch of open dates in the near term! Danny White backlash? There is a good national story here for some writer.
USF: 13

BC: 15
Virginia Tech: 35!
WV: 10
Penn State: 10
Buffalo: 9
Maryland: 10
Purdue: 16

The glass half empty analysis is that other schools are blackballing us, we are negligent with regards to booking long range games, and/or we may be deemphasizing football post-2023. The glass half full analysis is that we purposefully are not signing contracts with P5 teams that might be conference mates post-2023. Since I'm a unashamed Pollyanna, I will hang my hat on the latter analysis.

Reaction Score

Here’s your story...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The glass half empty analysis is that other schools are blackballing us, we are negligent with regards to booking long range games, and/or we may be deemphasizing football post-2023. The glass half full analysis is that we purposefully are not signing contracts with P5 teams that might be conference mates post-2023. Since I'm a unashamed Pollyanna, I will hang my hat on the latter analysis.

Maybe. That certainly could help explain UCF having just 2. But go find a home and home with a Pac 10 team in that case. Or BYU. Maybe SEC schools like Miss State, Vandy or Ole Miss. We may be looking for more payout games like Clemson as well, but those will become more scarce it seems.

Reaction Score
Here’s your story...

USF just flipped off Danny White again...

Stewart Mandel @slmandel 1 minute ago
USF has now scheduled 2-for-1s with Alabama, Florida and Miami. Love the aggressive scheduling.

Reaction Score
That's what you have to do to make the move up....

Bowden went to Ohio State twice, Michigan twice, Michigan State twice, Lincoln twice, LSU five times...with no returns.

Beat 'em on the road, folks will notice.

Reaction Score
USF has history with the Canes....they have had three H&H series...and two H&H series with FSU.

Reaction Score
Maybe because we are going to shut the program down so why schedule games?

Reaction Score
Is it too much to ask for three 2-1 series with Penn State, Michigan and OSU? If USF can do it why not UCONN?

Reaction Score
That's what you have to do to make the move up....

Bowden went to Ohio State twice, Michigan twice, Michigan State twice, Lincoln twice, LSU five times...with no returns.

Beat 'em on the road, folks will notice.
That was a whole different world back in 1978 or something. We are going to Clemson and I hear another major 1 off coming up. But I much prefer the Frank Beamer approach. Schedule for success. As you become more successful you upgrade your schedule. Rutgers did it under Schisno, BC did with Tom O’Bien and we more or less followed that model in Edsall 1.0 too. Beat ‘em on the road sounds nice but if you get hammered on the road it isn’t so hot. It does you no good to lose 45-3 at Ohio State then 63-7 at LSU. We need to go 4-4 in the AAC and 3-1 in the non-league games with a bowl. Build confidence and name recognition by going to bowls every year. Beamer went to something like 10 straight bowls but the first 3 he didn’t beat a single team with a winning record. O’Briens first bowl at BC was based on beating Army, Navy, Northeastern, UConn in a transition year, Rutgers and Temple. Only 1aa Northeastern had a winning record and they were, well, 1aa.

One other point. We are very far behind South Florida and Central Florida right now. They can play Alabama or Michigan State and have a shot. We aren’t there yet.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is it too much to ask for three 2-1 series with Penn State, Michigan and OSU? If USF can do it why not UCONN?
Remember when people were complaining about Notre Dame series because it had no games in the Rent?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I’d prefer to schedule for success- but suddenly many of our conference mates have gotten aggressive and part of me wants something on the calendar a few years out to say we have something. Put something on the calendar for 2023 ish with a return in 2025.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom