Expectations | The Boneyard

Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like to divide them as follows: 1. Long term/very long term, 2. Medium term, 3. Short term, and 4. Very short term. Looking at the LT/VLT is really a guessing game. What conference, what coach, what players, all of this is like predicting a multibody problem 5 problems away. If UConn is still in the AAC, then receiving a 1, 2, or 3
NCAA seed is extremely unlikely. In order to successfully recruit quality players; they have to be convinced that
their talents will be adequately showcased and/or the potential for player development and long tourney runs seem realistic.

The VST is this spring's recruiting and the 2016 part of the season. We should know the roster, and hopefully
KO will have a good handle on an 8/9 player rotation. The big roster question is Durham. My guess is that he is redshirted. Health is an issue; so is his lack of game experience the last two years. With a crowd of bigs
to winnow into a 3 player rotation; it seems unlikely that he will be able to contribute early. I say 8/9 player
rotation because unless you are an all out pressing team; it is very difficult to have 10/11 players getting double digit minutes.

The ST is the second half of the season and the off season. The style of play: tempo, defensive sets will be a product of the 2016 portion of the season. Hopefully some of the strengths of this season: FT shooting, transition offense, and solid D will form the basis of next season. Assuming that is the case, let's focus
on amplifying the strengths. Get to the line 4-5 more times a game, get 2-3 more runouts a game, and limit
opponents possessions by improving defensive rebounding by two to three rebounds per 60 opponents'
possessions. I would like to see a major effort to improve UConn's fouls. There were way too many touch fouls particularly by the bigs. I believe that good teaching and attention to detail by the staff and the players
can make these goals easily obtainable regardless of which players are in the rotation.

Finally, this team did not shoot the ball well. I'm going to assume that shooting percentages will improve
if shot selection is better This is partly a tweak in coaching philosophy. Begin each possession trying to push the ball up court. This should help with spacing before the opponents get set in their half court D.
With two quality ball handlers and passers, mismatches should be easier to find.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I realize that UConn didn't have a set rotation until very late. Still the first half
of the season led the resurrection of Omar. The second half of the season is limiting to player development.
Unless UConn has many more blowouts than I think they will have, necessity will mean relying on the rotation players because they give you the best chance for short term success.

I will defer MT for another day.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Finally, this team did not shoot the ball well. I'm going to assume that shooting percentages will improve if shot selection is better.

"There is a <1% chance that Daniel Hamilton shoots under 39% again next season." -nomar, 2015

"There is a <1% chance that Daniel Hamilton shoots under 39% again next season." -nomar, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3
Top Bottom