Expectations for 2020 | The Boneyard

Expectations for 2020

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Wondering what is a reasonable goal for this season and what we should expect out of HCRE's fourth year. Would 4 wins be a satisfying amount? At this point for me, I would look for more competitive games, something that is at least worth watching. Really thought we had turned the corner at halftime the Illinois game, but guess will need to wait another year.

Reaction Score
I feel like the team chemistry is better on this team and the best in RE second tenure. I don’t think the effects of that can be measured but I believe it can have a huge impact. However, to me the success of the season rests on the QB position (not rocket science). Can someone take the position by storm and really play well? If we get a pleasant surprise there I think we could have a winning record.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I feel like the team chemistry is better on this team and the best in RE second tenure. I don’t think the effects of that can be measured but I believe it can have a huge impact. However, to me the success of the season rests on the QB position (not rocket science). Can someone take the position by storm and really play well? If we get a pleasant surprise there I think we could have a winning record.
Absolutely and we know we have a couple decent options at the position. Really hoping for someone to step up.

Reaction Score

Lots of need for improvement, but the OLine will determine if a QB can be successful.

Reaction Score
I see 7 winnable games on the schedule, but with Randy as HC and an OL Coach as OC I'll go with 4 wins. Its an improvement for sure, but with this offensive brain trust in charge the ceiling is always going to be really low.

Reaction Score
Bowling or Randy Edsall looks for another job.

I highly doubt he's getting fired with 5 wins, doubtful he gets fired with 4.

Beyond wins the bigger question is are we improving, competitive in most games and does the future look promising.

At the beginning of this men's basketball season I bet most basketball fans would have been disappointed at missing the NCAA tournament again this year (if we miss it ) but because we have been so competitive and the future looks very promising just about every basketball fan seems thrilled with Hurley (as they should be), point being you need to look deeper than wins. Thinking Edsall should automatically get fired next season with fewer than 6 wins is laughable. You want to take the risk of starting a whole new building cycle with some unknown coach?

That said realistically I think he would have a very hard time surviving with fewer than 4 wins.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's probably not getting fired with 5 wins, probably doubtful he gets fired with 4.

Beyond wins the bigger question is are we improving, competitive in most games and does the future look promising.

At the beginning of this men's basketball season I bet most basketball fans would have been disappointed at missing the NCAA tournament again this year (if we miss it ) but because we have been so competitive and the future looks very promising just about every basketball fan seems thrilled with Hurley (as they should be), point being you need to look deeper than wins. Thinking Edsall should automatically get fired next season with fewer than 6 wins is laughable. You want to take the risk of starting a whole new building cycle with some unknown coach?

That said realistically I think he would have a very hard time surviving with fewer than 4 wins.
Hurley is new. We have to give him some time. Edsall has been here in two time periods. We have already given him time. Now he has to produce.

Reaction Score
I kind of expect 4. If Krajewski or one of the other guys can really step up as an effective QB, maybe we win 5+. I have trouble seeing any one unit being really good after last season. We are definitely better in terms of speed and talent, but I’m not sure that is good enough to win more games.

Reaction Score
If they don't beat all three of UMass, Maine and Liberty there is a serious problem. Ending the season on a three game winning streak is doable. Can they knock off Indiana or N. Carolina? Stranger things have happened. 5-7 wins depending how good the new guys coming in are. Was it 11 that enrolled early? That can only help.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
If they don't beat all three of UMass, Maine and Liberty there is a serious problem. Ending the season on a three game winning streak is doable. Can they knock off Indiana or N. Carolina? Stranger things have happened. 5-7 wins depending how good the new guys coming in are. Was it 11 that enrolled early? That can only help.
You do know Liberty went 8-5 last year and won their bowl game?

Reaction Score
I don’t know much about Liberty but not confident that it would be a definite win fo UConn.

Reaction Score
Year 4 must not be a losing season. Enough is enough. Look at Hurley’s intensity and vision compared to Sleepy Edsall. Is it easier to turn a BB program? Yes. But you see Hurley leaving it on the floor, heart on the sleeve, playing to win not playing it safe. He expects greatness. Not so much with good ole Randy. He’s never put himself on the line. Really, the wrong guy for where we need to go.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
If we keep improving in number of wins, hard to believe Edsall would be sent packing. We would have to start over at square one and he's on an extremely team friendly deal.

Reaction Score
Liberty's 8 wins are against some absolute bottom feeders. Highly inflated record.
Like UMass (UConn's only FBS win). UConn should have been so good to beat a bottom feeder like #72 Buffalo by 6 field goals (who beat Temple) or #85 Georgia Southern (who beat #22 Appalachian State).
The absolute bottom feeders in 2019 included UConn.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Like UMass (UConn's only FBS win). UConn should have been so good to beat a bottom feeder like #72 Buffalo by 6 field goals (who beat Temple) or #85 Georgia Southern (who beat #22 Appalachian State).
The absolute bottom feeders in 2019 included UConn.
2 of their wins were against New Mexico State, with others coming over New Mexico, Hampton and Maine. Real murders row.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom