Expectations: Andre Jackson | The Boneyard

Expectations: Andre Jackson

Reaction Score
He arrived with accolades did Andre Jackson. A sure thing rising four star. Athleticism, size and speed in a body that just needed CBB polish. To add to the fervor we beat out Syracuse from the kid’s back yard for his college pledge. Then, COVID and injury led to missed practices, missed games and put him behind leading to unsteady performances. Just what do we have with this often sensational and in the next breath underwhelming performer?

Five Things we have seen:

Early struggles to get on the floor and consistent trouble staying on it. Injury and fouls were the biggest culprits.​
Savant-like understanding of the game. Sees the next move and the path to a pass better than most players could even imagine.​
Hops at an IPA level. Sensational put-backs and solo finishes.​
Shot. That shot. It is far from ugly, decent even. He did shoot 90% at the line (ok, 9-10 is not a huge sample) and so flashed the form.​
A toolbelt lacking key gadgets. On the defensive loops hang some brilliant instruments. The most finished being anticipation. His foul rate was high – not uncommon for frosh. Offensively, the disdain for taking a path to the lane was eye-opening. He shot from ‘3’ often as a confidence-maker but made only 2/17 all season. Opposing coaches soon sagged off and made him prove any scoring skills.​

Five Things we expect:

Generally, the rise from Frosh to Soph rarely brings a player to full understanding. Players have to process so much it takes the whole second season plus half another to put it all together. Still, the gains made will be thrilling steps toward achieving the full athletic potential of someone like this who can dominate the ball on both sides.​
Given his talent it was incredible that he didn’t drive more often. Once in the lane he could stop and rise above for the short J or grab a foul at worst. We only imagined. The path to his maturity is speckled with courage and daring.​
People toss around ‘point forward’ like they exist in abundance. Still, things may break for him to work this slot. Vision and a deft touch are there. Decision-making should improve. Handle had better improve.​
The breakout game. This will happen and when it does for a real talent it can be the liftoff point for an extremely high orbit. Hoo-boy, cannot wait!​
This year we may see if his offensive skills are MIA or just need polish. Otherworldly expectations of domination now are too much. Will this player become dependable with the ball or just defending it?​

Summary:

Talent usually wins out. Given his high level of support on the floor and from the coaching staff, Andre should absorb, succeed and rise to a level of confidence and production that opposing coaches fear. The question is is this year too soon to expect it? The key seems to be on the offensive end. The rest is natural for him and if he can cut down on fouls that alone will keep him on the floor and define his lowest usage rate. He will explore other offensive options and show some growth, I’m guessing more from outside than in but I hope it goes the other way this year.​
Andre shot 14/22 from 2 (dunk much?) and 2/17 from 3. It clearly led to a confidence break supported by an unadjusted shot rate of 1 per every 6.65 minutes or 2.42 shots per game and 6.02 adjusted shots per game in his 16 minutes. By far the worst on the team in all 3 categories for rotational players. In fact he is the anti-Adama who led the team in all 3 categories while playing similar minutes as a freshman.​
ajacksonstats.JPG

Reaction Score
I know AJ is talented with loads of potential. I still feel he is a year or two (Junior) away. As for expectations, I have minimal, outside of spectacular SportsCenter worthy plays.

I also expect him to play better defense, especially not coming in injured. That may actually be his other strength, outside of his court vision with the ball.

He could be our Xfactor starting or not. With Boat gone, the opportunity is there.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Out of the top 8 players I think his box scores will vary more than anyone else's. He is such an unknown offensively.

Correct on the passing and vision. This was demonstrated in both the half court and in transition. Should be a huge disruptor on defense on the wings and passing lanes.

Did shoot a very good percentage from the line. With his athleticism and guile getting fouled going to the hoop can be a way to get 4-5 points a game.

Still have zero confidence in his perimeter shooting.

Reaction Score
I know AJ is talented with loads of potential. I still feel he is a year or two (Junior) away. As for expectations, I have minimal, outside of spectacular SportsCenter worthy plays.

I also expect him to play better defense, especially not coming in injured. That may actually be his other strength, outside of his court vision with the ball.

He could be our Xfactor starting or not. With Boat gone, the opportunity is there.
Boat shipped away a long time ago...

Reaction Score
Turning the page on last season. Looking forward to this season.

I expect the sweat equity he put into improving his game this summer will pay dividends for him and the team.

His teammates are saying that you have to close out on him on D or he's making the shot. Sounds encouraging.

Reaction Score
He arrived with accolades did Andre Jackson. A sure thing rising four star. Athleticism, size and speed in a body that just needed CBB polish. To add to the fervor we beat out Syracuse from the kid’s back yard for his college pledge. Then, COVID and injury led to missed practices, missed games and put him behind leading to unsteady performances. Just what do we have with this often sensational and in the next breath underwhelming performer?

Early struggles to get on the floor and consistent trouble staying on it. Injury and fouls were the biggest culprits.​
Savant-like understanding of the game. Sees the next move and the path to a pass better than most players could even imagine.​
Shot. That shot. It is far from ugly, decent even. He did shoot 90% at the line (ok, 9-10 is not a huge sample) and so flashed the form.​
A toolbelt lacking key gadgets. On the defensive loops hang some brilliant instruments. The most finished being anticipation. His foul rate was high – not uncommon for frosh. Offensively, the disdain for taking a path to the lane was eye-opening. He shot from ‘3’ often as a confidence-maker but made only 2/17 all season. Opposing coaches soon sagged off and made him prove any scoring skills.​

Five Things we expect:

Generally, the rise from Frosh to Soph rarely brings a player to full understanding. Players have to process so much it takes the whole second season plus half another to put it all together. Still, the gains made will be thrilling steps toward achieving the full athletic potential of someone like this who can dominate the ball on both sides.​
Given his talent it was incredible that he didn’t drive more often. Once in the lane he could stop and rise above for the short J or grab a foul at worst. We only imagined. The path to his maturity is speckled with courage and daring.​
People toss around ‘point forward’ like they exist in abundance. Still, things may break for him to work this slot. Vision and a deft touch are there. Decision-making should improve. Handle had better improve.​
The breakout game. This will happen and when it does for a real talent it can be the liftoff point for an extremely high orbit. Hoo-boy, cannot wait!​
This year we may see if his offensive skills are MIA or just need polish. Otherworldly expectations of domination now are too much. Will this player become dependable with the ball or just defending it?​

Summary:

Talent usually wins out. Given his high level of support on the floor and from the coaching staff, Andre should absorb, succeed and rise to a level of confidence and production that opposing coaches fear. The question is is this year too soon to expect it? The key seems to be on the offensive end. The rest is natural for him and if he can cut down on fouls that alone will keep him on the floor and define his lowest usage rate. He will explore other offensive options and show some growth, I’m guessing more from outside than in but I hope it goes the other way this year.​
Andre shot 14/22 from 2 (dunk much?) and 2/17 from 3. It clearly led to a confidence break supported by an unadjusted shot rate of 1 per every 6.65 minutes or 2.42 shots per game and 6.02 adjusted shots per game in his 16 minutes. By far the worst on the team in all 3 categories for rotational players. In fact he is the anti-Adama who led the team in all 3 categories while playing similar minutes as a freshman.​
View attachment 70175

Nobody in Albany thinks we are in Syracuse's backyard. Yuck

Craig Forth? Nobody in the old Big East would have taken that Columbia HS kid but SU. Hard to see Calhoun or Pitt or BC or Georgetown or Nova. Today, Syracuse has Joe Girard - who is really Lake George/Glens Falls.

In the 40 years of hoop in the Albany market, the best players never went to Syracuse. Most notably Sam Perkins. He was courted and everyone assumed Orange; and he never ever gave them a sniff. And let's not forget the winter Lamar Odom played in Albany at the sicko prep. No on SU. When Syracuse was Elite Eight in Albany on their way to the NC; their crowd knocked out all the extra tickets; the Bankers and Attorneys were popular for their boxes - which usually are used for the Circus or Pop Music acts. (plus Siena hoop)

Reaction Score
Out of the top 8 players I think his box scores will vary more than anyone else's. He is such an unknown offensively.

Correct on the passing and vision. This was demonstrated in both the half court and in transition. Should be a huge disruptor on defense on the wings and passing lanes.

Did shoot a very good percentage from the line. With his athleticism and guile getting fouled going to the hoop can be a way to get 4-5 points a game.

Still have zero confidence in his perimeter shooting.
With his uncertain handle, he may lose the ball off the dribble while going to the hoop, before he can get fouled. I seem to remember seeing that.

But, if he can move without the ball, and catch the ball as he goes towards the hoop for a shot and then gets fouled putting up the shot, that might work.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
I would love to see his athleticism on the offensive end, but his defensive potential is ridiculous . His upside there is tremendous considering his size, length & footspeed. If nothing else, I expect him to be an absolute terror on that side of the ball & feed his offense on the fast break via turnovers.

Reaction Score

Five Things we expect:

Summary:

View attachment 70175
You had me at “ Hops at an IPA level “.......

Well done.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i have no idea what's to come for him. and, i found those recent remarks from coach aboot him (multiple times he said 'if aj sticks to the plan,' or something like that.), curious.

Reaction Score
What is the plan?

"If he sticks to the plan," is a win win line for any coach or for any mentor or for any boss. When the player, student, or employee does not meet the expectations of the coach, mentor, or boss, then the failure is on the recipient of the "plan" for not meeting the goals of the "plan" although the plan is never explained or defined.

Well, that is the plan.

And if you have to ask what is the plan, then you are not good enough to get onto the team with the plan or the school with the plan or the job with the plan.

If you have to ask how much it costs, the you can't afford it anyway.

Nothing to be curious about.

Unless you were given the details of the plan and then no excuses for not following the plan.

So then, that is the plan.

Unless it gets modified by further ongoing plans.

Reaction Score
If Andre's handle and shot are both significantly better, he could have an amazing season. The kid is an absolute student of the game, so it's certainly possible.

However, huge increases in shooting % seldom happen. Let's hope Andre is the exception.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I wasn't super encouraged by Hurley's comments about AJ. If he was drilling his 3s in practice, I'm sure Hurley would've said his jump shot looks great, but he said something along the lines of "He should be able to hit enough 3s to keep the defense honest." Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Reaction Score
I wasn't super encouraged by Hurley's comments about AJ. If he was drilling his 3s in practice, I'm sure Hurley would've said his jump shot looks great, but he said something along the lines of "He should be able to hit enough 3s to keep the defense honest." Not exactly a ringing endorsement.
That’s all they really need from him tho. I’m not expecting him to all of the sudden jump to 35%+ from 3 on decent volume. Shoot it at 28-30% is enough to keep decent spacing. There’s a lot to like with him and my hope for him is we see an improvement with his playmaking/shot creating for others. UConns got 4 guys that are likely 35% or higher from 3 in Cole, Gaff, Polley, and Hawkins. If his playmaking lets those guys spot up on 3s, it would go a long way.

Reaction Score

He's not going to become a shooter in 1 summer. It doesn't work that way. The guys that become shooters and had 0 ability before are usually pros that hire full-time shooting coaches or are able to work with an assistant all summer.

Enough the defense honest is probably the most we can ask for. If he could hit 26-30% on maybe 2-3 attempts per game I would be THRILLED. Not good still, but enough to prove that the work is paying off. That would set him up for a dynamite junior season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom