Expectations and the future and why I'm not giving up | The Boneyard

Expectations and the future and why I'm not giving up

Status
Not open for further replies.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Over the past couple of weeks since I've joined the BY, the clear lack of realistic expectations by so many people on this board. It is absurd. Let's look at where we are.

Our program imploded. A top 5-of-all-time HOF coach left. We got a ridiculous ban, and scholarship cuts. We get thrown into a conference. People left. Recruiting died for a few years.

Our upper classes are leftovers from that horrible period. They are patched together with transfers and last minute recruits (and a few unfortunate injuries). We're relying on people who are spending their first, and only, year in Storrs. We're dealing with the egos of the kids who got recruited and committed to a program to take a back seat to transfers.

So why was the expectation ever that we were going to be a great team this year? Sure, a few players didn't progress like we thought they would, but that happens. To every team ever. We look lost out there, but how was there an expectation that we wouldn't be? This team was thrown together and roles were terribly defined. It was either that or play with an incredibly short bench. Would that have been better? I don't know. I do know that if I hear "Remember when we were perennial top 10?" one more time I might puke. We all remember, but to have that expectation that we'd be back there by now is just plain stupid.

So is this on KO? NO. He is a young coach, yes. He makes mistakes, yes. But he is learning and maturing. We picked him as our HC because he has so much time to grow. He will get better. He will learn. He will get his own men on the bench. It takes time. He's also a monster recruiter. So what does that mean for the future?

Our now-sophomores will be able to grow tremendously over the summer, not losing minutes to freshman. We have a great now-freshman class. We have 5 studs coming in, and an excellent transfer. And we have a coach coming off a disappointing season. I have full faith that he will learn from his mistakes. He will grow as a coach.

I'm not giving up on this program. I'm not calling for Ollie's head. I'm 10 toes in with him. This program will be a great program in a few years. Once all the turmoil is no longer reflected on our bench.

But for now, I'm ready for a big win against UCF and some decent play during the AAC tourney. And if we don't get that I'm ready to cheer for the Huskies wherever they end up at the end of the year.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm already looking ahead 2 years, when this recruiting class will be sophmores

Reaction Score
i still feel good about the future. look at the rough time ucla has had the past 10 years

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Come on man. Even I'm saving my "optimism BS" until at least 72 hours from now.
Sure, and that's fine. I just want a loss to be a loss without all the BS "fire ollie!" "the program is dead!" and "remember how good we were?!" garbage. I just want to be disappointed about the game.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Sure, and that's fine. I just want a loss to be a loss without all the BS "fire ollie!" "the program is dead!" and "remember how good we were?!" garbage. I just want to be disappointed about the game.

Consider this your initiation to the Boneyard then. They're like vultures circling on Ollie's corpse waiting for the next loss so they can peck away at their keyboards

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

You gotta trust me when I tell you that's not going to happen. Ever.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Consider this your initiation to the Boneyard then. They're like vultures circling on Ollie's corpse waiting for the next loss so they can peck away at their keyboards
I guess I just don't get the point. I came here because I love UConn and I love talking about actual basketball.

Reaction Score
Over the past couple of weeks since I've joined the BY, the clear lack of realistic expectations by so many people on this board. It is absurd.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Reaction Score
I kept my expectations low tonight because I blew out my lungs during the Houston game so tonight wasn't that bad. I'm also having regular BMs after being sick last week so I'm happy. I'll lower my expectations even lower for UCF.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I kept my expectations low tonight because I blew out my lungs during the Houston game so tonight wasn't that bad. I'm also having regular BMs after being sick last week so I'm happy. I'll lower my expectations even lower for UCF.

Glad to hear you're taking regular dumps now

Reaction Score
This is the boneyard, this is what the boneyard does but don't let anyone who doesn't bleed blue criticize the team, coaches or any part of UCONN and you're toast! Go Huskies!

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

Sadly it's not a joke when I say that's the best news we've had tonight.

Reaction Score
I came here because I love UConn and I love talking about actual basketball.
Really? Because your point seems to be that any negativity is misplaced here. If what you're looking for is rainbows and unicorn farts that smell like Febreeze, then I suggest you try the women's board.
Discussion about Ollie's performance - which has been bad - is exactly the sort of topic for which this board was forged.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Really? Because your point seems to be that any negativity is misplaced here. If what you're looking for is rainbows and unicorn farts that smell like Febreeze, then I suggest you try the women's board.
Discussion about Ollie's performance - which has been bad - is exactly the sort of topic for which this board was forged.
Sorry it seems like maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'm all for negative talk. But I'd like to actually have analysis about what was bad, why it was bad, etc. instead of the echo chamber that this place becomes.

Negative talk is fine, but everything is going to be negative if your expectations coming into a season are way too high.

Reaction Score
Negative talk is fine, but everything is going to be negative if your expectations coming into a season are way too high.

The problem is, even those of us who had reasonable expectations coming into the year (fringe Top 25, 5-6 seed, contend for AAC title) have been disappointed, as we were last year, and in the same ways.

Speaking for myself, I grew up during the emergence and heyday of this program (1994-2009). I am petrified -- with the conference situation, coaching situation, etc. -- that we won't get back to that level. It will take time to see how things shake out over the next 5-10 years, but there's a very real chance that we're living through the first stages of a long-term decline in this program. That's what I'm afraid of. I love this program, and can't stand the thought of us being "just another team".

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
The problem is, even those of us who had reasonable expectations coming into the year (fringe Top 25, 5-6 seed, contend for AAC title) have been disappointed, as we were last year, and in the same ways.

Speaking for myself, I grew up during the emergence and heyday of this program (1994-2009). I am petrified -- with the conference situation, coaching situation, etc. -- that we won't get back to that level. It will take time to see how things shake out over the next 5-10 years, but there's a very real chance that we're living through the first stages of a long-term decline in this program. That's what I'm afraid of. I love this program, and can't stand the thought of us being "just another team".
I get that. And I'm disappointed too. But relative to my expectations. UConn underperformed this year and it sucks. But I have faith that the program and the athletic department will be able to look at what was wrong with this team and fix it for next year and the following years. Ebb and flow, etc.

Reaction Score
I'd like to actually have analysis about what was bad, why it was bad, etc. instead of the echo chamber that this place becomes.
I'm sure you realize by now we don't do that here. Facts are spewed only to dispute an opinion. We are all 'know it alls' and that's what we love around here.

Ironically though its a college message board.

Reaction Score
Over the past couple of weeks since I've joined the BY, the clear lack of realistic expectations by so many people on this board. It is absurd. Let's look at where we are.

Our program imploded. A top 5-of-all-time HOF coach left. We got a ridiculous ban, and scholarship cuts. We get thrown into a conference. People left. Recruiting died for a few years.

Our upper classes are leftovers from that horrible period. They are patched together with transfers and last minute recruits (and a few unfortunate injuries). We're relying on people who are spending their first, and only, year in Storrs. We're dealing with the egos of the kids who got recruited and committed to a program to take a back seat to transfers.

So why was the expectation ever that we were going to be a great team this year? Sure, a few players didn't progress like we thought they would, but that happens. To every team ever. We look lost out there, but how was there an expectation that we wouldn't be? This team was thrown together and roles were terribly defined. It was either that or play with an incredibly short bench. Would that have been better? I don't know. I do know that if I hear "Remember when we were perennial top 10?" one more time I might puke. We all remember, but to have that expectation that we'd be back there by now is just plain stupid.

So is this on KO? NO. He is a young coach, yes. He makes mistakes, yes. But he is learning and maturing. We picked him as our HC because he has so much time to grow. He will get better. He will learn. He will get his own men on the bench. It takes time. He's also a monster recruiter. So what does that mean for the future?

Our now-sophomores will be able to grow tremendously over the summer, not losing minutes to freshman. We have a great now-freshman class. We have 5 studs coming in, and an excellent transfer. And we have a coach coming off a disappointing season. I have full faith that he will learn from his mistakes. He will grow as a coach.

I'm not giving up on this program. I'm not calling for Ollie's head. I'm 10 toes in with him. This program will be a great program in a few years. Once all the turmoil is no longer reflected on our bench.

But for now, I'm ready for a big win against UCF and some decent play during the AAC tourney. And if we don't get that I'm ready to cheer for the Huskies wherever they end up at the end of the year.
Just to be clear, the expectation for this year was to make the tournament and hopefully put together a mini run. With the talent on this team, those expectations were reasonable. In fact, most people outside UConn nation felt the same. The fact is this team, this staff, these players have grossly under performed. Any way you look at it, this season failed on every level.

Reaction Score
I will give them my support until the AAC turney bell ends! I just hope that they are there at the end!

Reaction Score
When "contending for an AAC title and making an NCAA run" are expectations that are "way too high," it's time for you to back off on your Zoloft/Prozac dose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom