expansion history tells u what the acc will eventually become | The Boneyard

expansion history tells u what the acc will eventually become

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
colorado left the b12 for the pac for $ and stuff. they were a quality school/program in a down period. not a heavy weight but a meanigful member. what followed was neb, mizzu and atm leaving. now we have md leaving the acc. same type of deal. connect the dots.

Reaction Score
colorado left the b12 for the pac for $ and stuff. they were a quality school/program in a down period. not a heavy weight but a meanigful member. what followed was neb, mizzu and atm leaving. now we have md leaving the acc. same type of deal. connect the dots.

I think that's too oversimplistic.

1. ESPN has a vested interest in the ACC, in that it has its rights locked up long term for a below market rate. ESPN has relationships with other conferences that can be used to prevent the other conferences from acting too aggressively. Those facts did not exist when the Pac Ten took Colorado,

2. The Big XII survived the loss of Colorado quite fine, by the way. Even though others left as well.

I am not telling you we're not in for a wild ride of instability -- that is a real possibility. But backed by ESPN, don't be sure that the ACC is the loser. This still all comes down to whether TX and Oklahoma want to be kings of the misfit superconference, or players in one of the Big Three. And that, in turn will be influenced by the suits in Bristol.

Reaction Score
So you're saying that one thing happened once, so everything else in the entire course of human history must follow the exact same pattern. Brilliant! By this logic, I must come to the conclusion that Kevin Ollie will suck as a coach. Because Dean Smith once retired at UNC. The school brought in Matt Doherty (a former player) to coach and he sucked. Logic dictates this all must happen again!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I really think the ACC will be fine in the long run. The east coast is very valuable. ESPN has selected the ACC to be the league to own the east coast. Even if some teams are taken away from the ACC, I don't see the league devolving to NNNNNNNNBE levels because ESPN will make sure the league is taken care of. This real estate is just too valuable.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I think that's too oversimplistic.

1. ESPN has a vested interest in the ACC, in that it has its rights locked up long term for a below market rate. ESPN has relationships with other conferences that can be used to prevent the other conferences from acting too aggressively. Those facts did not exist when the Pac Ten took Colorado,

2. The Big XII survived the loss of Colorado quite fine, by the way. Even though others left as well.

I am not telling you we're not in for a wild ride of instability -- that is a real possibility. But backed by ESPN, don't be sure that the ACC is the loser. This still all comes down to whether TX and Oklahoma want to be kinds of the misfit superconference, or players in one of the Big Three. And that, in turn will be influenced by the suits in Bristol.

fair enough bl. i see the acc surviving but just not as a power fball league the way the b10 did. no texas or ok in the acc.

a long time ago frnak the tank did a cool b10 expansion write up with what schools added value. here it is.
texas- will never join a blue state north only conf. they can make more money going indy or elsewhere.
ruty-now a b10 member
neb-now a b10 member
md-now a b10 member
bc- acc member right now
nd- put other sports in acc becuase no other conf would take them without fball. they will join fball somewhere in 2015
kansas-if they ever looked west again they would be a lock i think
mizzu-sec emmber now
cuse-acc member now
uconn- ?
pitt-acc member now, psu would never let this happen and the mk is covered already
ist- mk is covered

i would drop ist and mizzu from this list and add unc and uva for a more current look at whats possible. i would also drop mizzu as the mk is covered b10 wise without the school being a member.

i see the b10 with 2 to 4 to holy heck 6 spots available in the down the road future of college sports time line.
i see bc, uconn, cuse, nd, uva and unc being the real canidates with kansas being a possibility also. can we pass bc as the new england school? the connecting states thing is bs and the aau things is also. its about footprint within close range and how much reasearch not the aau tag. most outside of new england view it as 1 big state becuas eof its size. bc formed that opinion the way they trested uconn once they left for the acc. if the b10 really is looking for big publics like i think then cuse and bc are out. that narrows the list a lot.

i will continue to beat the b10 drum as its a reach bu not something we should not hope and stive for.

if the answer is 16, we may be left out. but if its anything else, imagine the 18 or 20 tema league we could be apart of.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think there are more constraints on ACC schools - there's only one "Big Boy" conference to go to, and that's the Big Ten. The B1G might still bide it's time for ND. But they had an opportunity to go for Georgia Tech and passed, which I think says a lot. I think UVA and UNC are still on the radar, but my gut feeling is they are not itching to get out yet. The B1G is gonna see how things go with RU/MD, "continue to monitor the landscape", and just bide their time.

As far as the FSU/B12 rumors, that had every opportunity to happen last year, and we can't rule out the possibility that it will heat up again. But I don't think it's a complete given that it will be the ACC, not the B12, that dies first. B12(-2), in my mind is not one of the chosen conferences. Yeah there's 4 slots but only 3 real contenders, 2 pretenders (3 pretenders if the NNBE survives somehow). The B12 is still Texas, OU and a bunch of smaller programs tagging along. Their most likely next move is to take 2 of Louisville, Cincinnatti, Boise, BYU, if they are worried about any of those getting grabbed by another conference.

It sounds like the LHN isn't doing so hot, probably related to their football team not doing so hot... if they flounder around for a few years does that reintroduce the Pac-16 possibility? Could we get some kind of amalgamation of bigger programs from the ACC + B12? There's a lot of possibilities, and while it's easy to predict on 16-20 team superconferences, it depends on whether those are the most profitable model, and I have no frikkin' clue what chess pieces have to move in order for the superconferences to happen.

Lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what have yous.
dude1.jpg

Reaction Score
A mere ten years ago, Florida State and Miami ranked well, well ahead of any other conference's one-two punch for national powers. Ahead of USC and (there was no @2 in the Pac). Ahead of Michigan and Ohio State. Ahead of Georgia and LSU. Ahead of everyone.

They are both down over the last approximately decade. But these things are cyclical. FSU may actually be on the way back up, and Miami will have new leadership one day, and it may be leadership that reemphasizes football.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
So you're saying that one thing happened once, so everything else in the entire course of human history must follow the exact same pattern. Brilliant! By this logic, I must come to the conclusion that Kevin Ollie will suck as a coach. Because Dean Smith once retired at UNC. The school brought in Matt Doherty (a former player) to coach and he sucked. Logic dictates this all must happen again!

No...Ollie will suck because Billy Guthridge (not Doherty) was the hand picked successor of a living legend, who steam rolled his AD...

BUT...

Warde Manuel was not steam rolled and Ollie, hopefully won't suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom