Exit fees are pure folly.... | The Boneyard

Exit fees are pure folly....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've read and listened to all the arguments made on this board about keeping the BE together, or what is the best scenario/outcome for UConn, but the one thing I cannot seem to wrap my head around is the idea of exit fees providing any sense of commitment.

The only schools potentially considering the exit fee are the ones with another option - a better option. I think it's safe to assume that any team truly contemplating an exit is going to the SEC, ACC, Big 12, Big 10 or Pac whatever. Correct me if I am wrong, but all those leagues presumably pay the schools MORE money. So if you are analyzing the pros and cons of leaving the BE, either today or some time in the future, it's in order to secure a larger annual pay day into perpetuity.

If you run the math, it really shouldn't matter whether the exit fee is $5m, $10m or $20m -- if you stand to make an extra $2m/yr - then the payback for any exit fee is really rather low.

Reaction Score
Even 27mos shouldn't matter. It's only a hurdle, not a deterrent. You wait it out, then collect the dough.
Which is why many of us argued that Herbst expressing a strong "commitment" to the Big East wouldn't have changed a damn thing. It wouldn't be genuine and anyone with a 3rd grade reading level could figure that out.

Reaction Score
Of course, a verbal commitment is comical, but that still doesn't explain the rationale behind exit fees. It's sorta just a going away present to the league.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I've read and listened to all the arguments made on this board about keeping the BE together, or what is the best scenario/outcome for UConn, but the one thing I cannot seem to wrap my head around is the idea of exit fees providing any sense of commitment.

The only schools potentially considering the exit fee are the ones with another option - a better option. I think it's safe to assume that any team truly contemplating an exit is going to the SEC, ACC, Big 12, Big 10 or Pac whatever. Correct me if I am wrong, but all those leagues presumably pay the schools MORE money. So if you are analyzing the pros and cons of leaving the BE, either today or some time in the future, it's in order to secure a larger annual pay day into perpetuity.

If you run the math, it really shouldn't matter whether the exit fee is $5m, $10m or $20m -- if you stand to make an extra $2m/yr - then the payback for any exit fee is really rather low.

Well, if you really went to Wharton you would know that uncertain cash flows out in the future should be discounted back to the present at high rates. A $20 million exit fee would likely have kept Syracuse and Pitt, because they would not have been able to project they future incremental revenues of the ACC over the Big East with any amount of certainty.

Or maybe, because you went to Wharton, you believe that life can be solved with a financial model.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Or maybe, because you went to Wharton, you believe that life can be solved with a financial model.
I'm pretty sure that merely a couple of months ago you believed this.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that merely a couple of months ago you believed this.

Good point. But my financial models can tell the difference between present value and future value.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The grant of rights model is a much more ironclad idea.

Reaction Score
Well, if you really went to Wharton you would know that uncertain cash flows out in the future should be discounted back to the present at high rates. A $20 million exit fee would likely have kept Syracuse and Pitt, because they would not have been able to project they future incremental revenues of the ACC over the Big East with any amount of certainty.

o did go to Wharton, thanks for noticing. So your argument is that because future cash flows are not guaranteed, these schools can do any scenario analysis? These are universities, they have access to plenty of people who are adept at doing reaearch and using Excel.

Oh and I dont believe that life can be solved with financial models, but i do believe that data and analysis can help make smart and informed decusions

Reaction Score
I agree completely. It's not a meaningful enough deterrent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom