Exciting Times in the B12 | The Boneyard

Exciting Times in the B12

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I consider myself a WCBB purest. I am a die hard UConn fan but also a fan of the sport as a whole. The events over the last few weeks:

1. Charli Colliers flip flop.
2. Baylors Twofer.

Make for some very interesting almost guaranteed future events.

1. First up, Texas. While I am very aware Texas hasn't won a natty since before I was born they should be back in serious contention in the next couple of years if most of their roster stays and develops. This would certainly probably make Rellah Boothe happy since she promised Texas would win at least 2 Nattys while she was there and also at the same time declaring herself the real #1 player in her class.

2. Next up, our pal in Waco. Mulkey should win at least 1 of the next 4 championships. I personally would like to reserve the next two for UConn but since I don't have that power I will just wait and see. What makes this interesting is that Mulkey would then truly set herself apart and step out of the small pack of coaches with 2 Nattys and into the gap between Summit and that pack. She would still have a ways to go to get into the gap between Summit and Auriemma.
2a. If she does this will they start comparing Mulkey to Geno?
3. Could we see our 7th historical same conference NCAA championship game & the first for the B12 in the near future?

**Side note: Can someone give a shoutout to Aston for making the B12 somewhat of a challenge for Baylor again?

Reaction Score
Good topics to ponder here..... You may be right..... On #2, Mulkey has proven herself to be a very good coach, yes. But I think of her title in 2012, when she had great guard in Sims and transcendent player in Griner.... maybe she will win in next 4 years but I do not see it as a prohibitive call....

As for Texas..... I like Coach Aston from what I have seen of her.... and she has really coerced Texas folks to stay close to home.... but what of the team's grit fight and resilience when someone as talented comes at them. They really need someone on the backline to stand tall and lead the orchestra..... complement the bigs....

If I were a betting person, I would put my chips down against the Big 12 not with them.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
oh, Lordy, before the true zealots chime in...

How to phrase this? If Boothe is right, and Texas will win at least 2 Nattys, and Mulkey should win at least 1 of the next 4, well, hell, that doesn't leave a whole lot for anybody else. Even if you are returning multiple AA's and a ton of frosh and transfer talent. Gosh, somethin's gotta give!

And, 3 Nattys doesn't equal 11, nor warrant comparison, no more than hitting .275 for a career average with 190 home runs warrants comparison to Babe Ruth or Henry Aaron. Maybe that's unfair, maybe it's comparing somebody like Jim Rice (and, I'm a big Rice fan) to Ted Williams. They're both in the HOF, and played left field for the Sox, but one of 'em is a great player, while the other one is often used as a yardstick for superlative performance.

I, ,for one, am glad for the competition and the strengthening of WCBB overall, but, anybody who puts too much stock in October potential is like somebody who gets excited over a teams' Spring training record. Let's wait until we see how teams stack up in mid-August!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think signing day is Nov 8th. Let's see how the rest of this 2018 recruiting class ( especially for UCONN and South Carolina) shakes out before we go all Nostradamus. If you make me bet today, I'd bet against both 1 & 2 ever happening and that would probably eliminate #3 also.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
oh, Lordy, before the true zealots chime in...

How to phrase this? If Boothe is right, and Texas will win at least 2 Nattys, and Mulkey should win at least 1 of the next 4, well, hell, that doesn't leave a whole lot for anybody else. Even if you are returning multiple AA's and a ton of frosh and transfer talent. Gosh, somethin's gotta give!

Just for clarification what I feel to be almost guaranteed is 1. Texas should reach reach a FF and 2. Baylor should win 1 of the next 4. If neither happens I'm not gonna cry about it. Statistically & historically speaking Texas actually probably has the better chance of the two at a title... at least for now.

And, 3 Nattys doesn't equal 11, nor warrant comparison, no more than hitting .275 for a career average with 190 home runs warrants comparison to Babe Ruth or Henry Aaron. Maybe that's unfair, maybe it's comparing somebody like Jim Rice (and, I'm a big Rice fan) to Ted Williams. They're both in the HOF, and played left field for the Sox, but one of 'em is a great player, while the other one is often used as a yardstick for superlative performance.

As far as this goes maybe you have missed the NCAA tourney the past 10 years. Every time any coach does anything similar to what Geno did in his first 10-15 years of coaching there is a comparison. When Jeff Walz got to his second title game in 2013 they did a comparison of his first however many years as compared to Geno's and Walz hasn't even won anything yet. So, why wouldn't they compare the first person to get 3 titles in a bazillion years to the last person who got 3 titles (which would be Geno)? It's bound to happen. The comparison will be on both coaches accomplishments in their first 15 or so years. We all know the media doesn't write new stories about WCBB, they just reuse old ones.

I, ,for one, am glad for the competition and the strengthening of WCBB overall, but, anybody who puts too much stock in October potential is like somebody who gets excited over a teams' Spring training record. Let's wait until we see how teams stack up in mid-August!

I don't get the mid-August reference but pardon my excitement!;)

Reaction Score
All I know is that Geno has 11 NC in the last 22 years, mentioned on the BY previously.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I do think Texas and Baylor are going to be the dominant programs in the Big 12 for the next few years; West Virginia is also recruiting better than ever, it seems. They won't only be battling for conference championships, but NCAA seeding.

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but implications of who between Baylor and Texas gets a higher tournament seed (potential #1 seed in region) does affect other programs, too. If you figure only one of these two program gets a #1 seed annually, they most likely get placed in a geographically close regional like Dallas, OKC, New Orleans, etc. The other program can't be placed in the same regional; so, they get shipped out elsewhere (possibly to the East where UConn has been the constant #1 seed in the region).

National championship talk at this point is way too premature.

Reaction Score
For UConn fans interested in attending the Jan 15 Texas game in Austin, I've been monitoring the Texas site to see when single game tix go on sale. They haven't yet, but someone on Stubhub is listing courtside seats for $225. Obviously a season ticket holder, so I checked the Texas site to see how much season tickets are. The best seats are $195 for the whole season, so this person is making back the entire cost of the season tickets with the sale of one game.

They're also selling 4-game mini-plans. You get to select one "Premier' game (from UConn, Baylor, Oklahoma, West VA or Florida State), two other conference games, and one other non-conference game. When selecting UConn, the best tix are 50-yard-line (Section 20), Row 24 (for two together - lower down for one single seat), priced at $50. I'm thinking the $50 for the mini-plan might be cheaper than doing Stubhub later for just the UConn game. ?? Any advice from Texas fans?

Reaction Score
For UConn fans interested in attending the Jan 15 Texas game in Austin, I've been monitoring the Texas site to see when single game tix go on sale. They haven't yet, but someone on Stubhub is listing courtside seats for $225. Obviously a season ticket holder, so I checked the Texas site to see how much season tickets are. The best seats are $195 for the whole season, so this person is making back the entire cost of the season tickets with the sale of one game.

They're also selling 4-game mini-plans. You get to select one "Premier' game (from UConn, Baylor, Oklahoma, West VA or Florida State), two other conference games, and one other non-conference game. When selecting UConn, the best tix are 50-yard-line (Section 20), Row 24 (for two together - lower down for one single seat), priced at $50. I'm thinking the $50 for the mini-plan might be cheaper than doing Stubhub later for just the UConn game. ?? Any advice from Texas fans?
In addition to the official $195 ticket price, a person who wants to buy court side seats has to make a substantial "donation" to the Longhorn foundation.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I consider myself a WCBB purest. I am a die hard UConn fan but also a fan of the sport as a whole. The events over the last few weeks:

1. Charli Colliers flip flop.
2. Baylors Twofer.

Make for some very interesting almost guaranteed future events.

1. First up, Texas. While I am very aware Texas hasn't won a natty since before I was born they should be back in serious contention in the next couple of years if most of their roster stays and develops. This would certainly probably make Rellah Boothe happy since she promised Texas would win at least 2 Nattys while she was there and also at the same time declaring herself the real #1 player in her class.

2. Next up, our pal in Waco. Mulkey should win at least 1 of the next 4 championships. I personally would like to reserve the next two for UConn but since I don't have that power I will just wait and see. What makes this interesting is that Mulkey would then truly set herself apart and step out of the small pack of coaches with 2 Nattys and into the gap between Summit and that pack. She would still have a ways to go to get into the gap between Summit and Auriemma.
2a. If she does this will they start comparing Mulkey to Geno?
3. Could we see our 7th historical same conference NCAA championship game & the first for the B12 in the near future?

**Side note: Can someone give a shoutout to Aston for making the B12 somewhat of a challenge for Baylor again?

1. I think Texas poses the best threat to challenge UCONN for a title in 2018-19 and especially 2019-20. They're loading up on top 5-10 kids and on paper may be the team to beat in 2019-20. The big issue I see is how does Aston keep her players happy with limited minutes to go around, and perhaps more importantly, how does team chemistry get affected. Boothe already seems like a handful, Holmes is suspended the first half of the year, and Collier has decommitted twice now. I don't see Collier's change of heart as a character flaw, but it is something to keep an eye on.

2. I think Mulkey has to win more than 1 more title in order to earn her reputation as above the other 2 title winners. Would anybody rank her above Tara or Muffett? I know I wouldn't.

I honestly believe most top 10-15 coaches would've been able to win at least 2 titles with Griner in the lineup, and she was only able to win one. They absolutely should have won it all in 2013 and should have at least made the Final Four in 2011. In 2016 and 2017 they've been heavy favorites to make the Final Four and contend for a title and they've lost to two teams with virtually no high school All Americans. She's 5 years without a Final Four and even with all of the talent she's acquiring, I don't think she will win another title with the 2017 and 2018 classes. Coaching goes a long way and I haven't been impressed with Mulkey for a while.

2a. She'll never be compared to Geno.

3. I don't see that happening unless UCONN misses out on Brunelle and Williams. Gotta get through UCONN, and I don't think either coach will game plan effectively to knock off the Huskies. I have some hope for Aston since she's newer, but it's still a long shot. To beat UCONN, you need good talent and masterful coaching. The only coaches to beat UCONN in the last 4 years are Schaefer, McGraw and Vanderveer....all coaches who are great schemers and get the most out of their kids. I think it's more likely to see an all Pac 12 Final with Rueck and Vanderveer going head to head in the finals rather than Aston and Mulkey.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1. I think Texas poses the best threat to challenge UCONN for a title in 2018-19 and especially 2019-20. They're loading up on top 5-10 kids and on paper may be the team to beat in 2019-20. The big issue I see is how does Aston keep her players happy with limited minutes to go around, and perhaps more importantly, how does team chemistry get affected. Boothe already seems like a handful, Holmes is suspended the first half of the year, and Collier has decommitted twice now. I don't see Collier's change of heart as a character flaw, but it is something to keep an eye on.

2. I think Mulkey has to win more than 1 more title in order to earn her reputation as above the other 2 title winners. Would anybody rank her above Tara or Muffett? I know I wouldn't.

I honestly believe most top 10-15 coaches would've been able to win at least 2 titles with Griner in the lineup, and she was only able to win one. They absolutely should have won it all in 2013 and should have at least made the Final Four in 2011. In 2016 and 2017 they've been heavy favorites to make the Final Four and contend for a title and they've lost to two teams with virtually no high school All Americans. She's 5 years without a Final Four and even with all of the talent she's acquiring, I don't think she will win another title with the 2017 and 2018 classes. Coaching goes a long way and I haven't been impressed with Mulkey for a while.

3. I don't see that happening unless UCONN misses out on Brunelle and Williams. Gotta get through UCONN, and I don't think either coach will game plan effectively to knock off the Huskies. I have some hope for Aston since she's newer, but it's still a long shot. To beat UCONN, you need good talent and masterful coaching. The only coaches to beat UCONN in the last 4 years are Schaefer, McGraw and Vanderveer....all coaches who are great schemers and get the most out of their kids. I think it's more likely to see an all Pac 12 Final with Rueck and Vanderveer going head to head in the finals rather than Aston and Mulkey.
The only coaches to beat UCONN in the last 4 years should also include Mulkey if you are going to include McGraw. Feb of 2013 Baylor beat UCONN.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
The only coaches to beat UCONN in the last 4 years should also include Mulkey if you are going to include McGraw. Feb of 2013 Baylor beat UCONN.

You're right--meant to say 5 years and forgot that Mulkey is in that group. That said, I don't think Mulkey is a top notch schemer like the other ones mentioned there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Getting talent is a big first step toward a natty but it's still not the last step. We'll see.

Personally. I like seeing other teams accumulating talent. When the other team actually thinks they have a shot it makes the UConn victory just a tad sweeter.

(We're doomed.)

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Dare I say another word in this thread... now that Mulkey roped in Egbo.

Reaction Score

I don't think ND has beaten UConn in the last four years. IIRC the Big 3's freshman year was the last time which was almost 5 years ago. The season before the Stanford loss (3 seasons ago) that started the 111 game streak was the 40-0 season of Stef and Bria's senior year which would be the 4th year. Chong went 153-2 in her four years I think.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

It's interesting to me that Mulkey doesn't get more credit. It's possible they did underachieve in two of Griner's four postseasons — once to a red-hot A&M team that Baylor had already beaten three times, and once in a game that ranks among the most bizarrely physical that I've ever seen. But it's also true that outside of Griner and Sims, Baylor's supporting cast was pedestrian at best. I bet most people on this site don't even remember the other starters' names.

But even if we insist on diminishing her NC in 2012, there's no denying that her achievement in turning around a bottom-feeder Baylor WBB program was Geno-like, just based on the records alone. The 1999-2000 Baylor team went 7-20 (2-14) in Sonja Hogg's last year. In Mulkey's first year in 2000-01? 21-9 (9-7) with an NCAA tournament bid. In only her fourth year at Baylor (2003-04), she took her team to the Sweet 16 where they suffered the infamous loss to Tennessee on free throws with 0.2 seconds on the clock. And in the following year (2004-05), she won the whole enchilada. She took an uber-gifted but very rough talent in Sophia Young and developed her into a superstar by her junior year.

It's puzzling to me that Mulkey's two titles should count for less than Muffet's one (which she won when Mulkey was in her first year at Baylor) or, for that matter, than Tara's two (won when Mulkey was just an assistant at La Tech).

bballnut90

Reaction Score
It's interesting to me that Mulkey doesn't get more credit. It's possible they did underachieve in two of Griner's four postseasons — once to a red-hot A&M team that Baylor had already beaten three times, and once in a game that ranks among the most bizarrely physical that I've ever seen. But it's also true that outside of Griner and Sims, Baylor's supporting cast was pedestrian at best. I bet most people on this site don't even remember the other starters' names.

But even if we insist on diminishing her NC in 2012, there's no denying that her achievement in turning around a bottom-feeder Baylor WBB program was Geno-like, just based on the records alone. The 1999-2000 Baylor team went 7-20 (2-14) in Sonja Hogg's last year. In Mulkey's first year in 2000-01? 21-9 (9-7) with an NCAA tournament bid. In only her fourth year at Baylor (2003-04), she took her team to the Sweet 16 where they suffered the infamous loss to Tennessee on free throws with 0.2 seconds on the clock. And in the following year (2004-05), she won the whole enchilada. She took an uber-gifted but very rough talent in Sophia Young and developed her into a superstar by her junior year.

It's puzzling to me that Mulkey's two titles should count for less than Muffet's one (which she won when Mulkey was in her first year at Baylor) or, for that matter, than Tara's two (won when Mulkey was just an assistant at La Tech).

The rest of her team in 2012 wasn't pedestrian though...they had a lot of really good college players. Destiny Williams was a top 10 recruit in 09, Brookilyn Pope was a very good forward and a former McDonald's AA game MVP (she torched UCONN in 2013), Hayden was a very good wing, Madden was a good wing, etc. None of those players went on to be players in the W, but they were good collegiate players and played well against the best competition.

Kim had 3 years with Griner and Sims and she only managed one Final Four. What would the results look like if it was Tara, Geno or Muffett with those players? Likely more than just the one Final Four.

I will give her credit for turning around the program and making Baylor a consistent top 10 team, that ability alone establishes her as one of the more elite coaches in the country. But now that she's hauling in the talent, she's done less with more for the last 5 seasons. Her teams are littered with McDonald's All Americans and she regularly has top 10 kids on her team and they get beat by lesser teams in the tournament.

I do not think titles are the end all be all for evaluating coaching success. To me, a lot comes down to three factors:
1. Ability to take a bad program and make them great
2. Ability to take a team expected to be good and make them great
3. Ability to take a team expected to be great (title favorite) and make them a champion

Most coaches with teams in the top 10 have accomplished #1.

McGraw and Vanderveer have consistently accomplished #2 more even if they haven't won a title in 15+ years. Their programs are usually much better than their preseason ranking would indicate, and more often than not they're in the mix at the Final Four. Mulkey's teams 3 of the last 5 years have been expected to be very good or great, and fell short of expectations. The other two years they had decent teams but didn't overachieve either. I'd personally give Muffett a higher coaching rating for her string of success the last 7 years than I'd give Mulkey for her last 7 years, where she won 1 title in 2012 but hasn't made the Final Four for 6 of the last 7 years.

#3, the only active coach who has mastered this is Geno. Kim has had 4 teams that were either unanimous preseason #1 or were perceived to be a real threat for the title entering the season (2011-2013 and 2017) and has only been able to deliver a Final Four bid once. Missing 2/3 Final Fours with Griner/Sims and striking out last year with that loaded roster is falling well short of expectations.

Muffett and Tara have had just 1 team in the last 15 years that were expected to be title favorites....Notre Dame this past season when they split votes with Connecticut and Baylor, their trajectory changed when Turner got injured in the tournament and they didn't make the Final Four. Stanford's was in 2011 where they made the Final Four and lost in the last 10 seconds to the eventual champion.

The only other teams in the last 15 years who have received a substantial number of preseason #1 votes are Tennessee (who was preseason #1 in 05, 06, and 08...they won a title in 08, made the Final Four in 05, and Elite 8 in 06), Duke (who was preseason #1 in 2003 where they made the Final Four and split with UT in 2006, they had the title won and Maryland stole it from them), and Maryland (unanimous preseason #1 and they lost in the 2nd round....people rip Brenda to shreds on this board).

I don't think it's out of line to argue that Tara and Muffet likely have multiple titles if their best teams didn't coincide when Geno had Maya Moore or had Stewart. Notre Dame very likely goes undefeated in 2014 if there is no UCONN (they went 37-1 with 1 loss to UCONN) and likely wins it all in 2013 and 2015 too. Same for Stanford going undefeated in 2010 and winning it all in 2009 (their only losses in 2010 were to UCONN, and they lost in the semis to UCONN in 2009). Bad timing to face some of Geno's best teams. Contrary to that, Mulkey's titles have come when Geno had his worst team in the last 20+ years (2005), and when his team had 5 losses in one season (which is tied for his 2nd most number of losses in a season since 1992-93, after the 2005 squad). The only title she potential missed out on due to Geno was in 2010 when Baylor got beat handily by UCONN in the semis. That year, even if they faced a different team in the semis and won, they would've faced a red hot Stanford team in the Finals.

Maybe it's just a difference in opinion or there is some bias too it, but to sum it up, I feel that Mulkey has underachieved relative to the talent on her teams while other coaches have consistently met or outperformed expectations, and for that reason I think more highly of the other coaches.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score

I'm not sure you can put Muffett above Mulkey. ND has consistently recruited top talent each year, yet has under-performed. Year by year, ever since they left the Big East, they have become less competitive. Maybe regressing to the level of the rest of their league. I'd say that they soft competition in the ACC has had a bigger impact on them than the AAC has for UCONN.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Notre Dame has been far more consistent than Baylor. They've both missed the last two Final 4's. Prior to that ND went to 5 straight and was the runner up 4 times. Baylor did not accomplish nearly as much during the same period. Other than the Championship in '12, the Elite Eight has been their ceiling since '10.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It seems like there is some difficulty to living up to expectations once a coach significantly improves the profile of their program. I'm thinking of coaches/programs like Mulkey/Baylor, Frese/Maryland, Walz/Louisville. Granted all of those schools are winning plenty of games and recruiting well, but for the very top women's programs if you aren't getting to Final 4's and/or winning Championships, it seems like it's falling short. Will be interesting to see what happens w/ Staley/South Carolina moving forward. Will she separate herself from those others I mentioned or will she have the same struggles?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I'm not sure you can put Muffett above Mulkey. ND has consistently recruited top talent each year, yet has under-performed. Year by year, ever since they left the Big East, they have become less competitive. Maybe regressing to the level of the rest of their league. I'd say that they soft competition in the ACC has had a bigger impact on them than the AAC has for UCONN.

In the 4 years since they've left, they have 2 runner up appearances to Stewart/Jefferson led UCONN teams, a Sweet 16 loss to Stanford and an Elite 8 loss to Stanford. They definitely exceeded expectations in 2014 and 2015, finishing 37-1 and 36-3 after being preseason #6/7 and preseason #3. In 2016 they were upset by Stanford and finished 33-2 (preseason #3), and this past season they finished 33-4 and lost a nail biter in the Elite 8 after losing their starting All American center (preseason #1 or #2).

Talent wise, they've never had a #1 recruit nor have they ever had the most talent in the nation. Of the recruits ranked in the top 5 they've landed, only one has played for 4 years (Diggins) and she played in 3 Final Fours. Reimer played for 2 seasons before quitting, Loyd jetted off to the pros after 3 (and 3 Final Fours/title game appearances, and Turner has been injured for much of her time at Notre Dame.

Baylor had 4 healthy years with arguably the most dominant collegiate player of all time and 4 healthy years with Sims. They also had 4 healthy seasons of Nina Davis and 2 seasons with Alexis Jones who was a top 5 recruit.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
It seems like there is some difficulty to living up to expectations once a coach significantly improves the profile of their program. I'm thinking of coaches/programs like Mulkey/Baylor, Frese/Maryland, Walz/Louisville. Granted all of those schools are winning plenty of games and recruiting well, but for the very top women's programs if you aren't getting to Final 4's and/or winning Championships, it seems like it's falling short. Will be interesting to see what happens w/ Staley/South Carolina moving forward. Will she separate herself from those others I mentioned or will she have the same struggles?

Coale is another one in that category. For those coaches, they've been able to overachieve in individuals seasons, but once they've started to consistently land top 5-10 kids, the results haven't been as consistent.

Curious to see how Aston does once (if) her teams start to fulfill their potential. Also curious to see if Rueck and Schaefer can maintain their level of excellence at their programs.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I thought of Rueck too, but I don't think he has the same pressure of expectations so far, and he hasn't come remotely close to stockpiling the kind of talent some of those other coaches have. Pivec and Corosdale are the top recruits he's brought in so far, top 30 types but nowhere close to top 10 or top 5. When Slocum becomes eligible next season that of course will be a different caliber of player for him and the program. And verbal commit Aquino is in Hoop Gurlz top 10 for '18. So they are moving the needle, but look at recent recruiting efforts by schools like Baylor, Texas, Tennessee and Florida St. by comparison.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Also will be interesting to see if Oregon lives up to expectations this year and where Graves takes that program over the next 3 years as last year's big recruiting class matures.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom