Excited-Diaco doing it the right way | The Boneyard

Excited-Diaco doing it the right way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know it's early, but Diaco seems to be do everything right and I'm glad he's our new coach. He has done an excellent job generating excitement to a program that was on its way to the grave (he has also assembled a great staff). I think given the short time he had, that he did a great job a recruiting. I'm not sure it was his idea but I love that they posted videos on signing day (however I believe it was since we've never done it before). I hope there will continue to be videos of the team/players working out, a video tour of our facilities, etc. Not only do I enjoy watching these videos, when potential recruits google UConn football they will be able to see that we have great facilities to offer and this will act as a marketing tool to get potential recruits to come on a visit that may not have come otherwise (every other good program has similar videos). I'm confident Diaco will continue to do an excellent job marketing/selling the program (neither Edsall and definitely Pasquiloni didn't market/sell the program to neither recruits nor fans). I hope and am confident that this will translate to wins and better recruits and hopefully selling out the Rent every game.
If he can continue to bring excitement to UConn football, win, and sell out, then hopefully the powers that make the decisions will agree to expand the rent to 55-60k. While I realize Connecticut is neither a hot bed for recruiting nor a major TV market, hopefully one of the power conferences will seriously consider adding us since we would be winning and selling out (assuming 55-60k stadium) and have enough of the NY market and some of the Mass market for it to be worth adding us - not to mention a top men's and women's basketball program, other top sports programs and a good academic school which continues to get better.
Some of you may not agree, but I think continuing to put these videos of the players working out, tours of the facility etc are a great way to get both fans and prospective recruits excited about UConn football.

Reaction Score
Why can't we get this right. Connecticut IS a major TV market. The Hartford-New Haven DMA is ranked 29 and that does not include Fairfield County which is part of NYC. If you want to say CT is not a hot bed for college football, then we can agree. I counter with, this TV market is a sleeping giant for college football.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It's smart to release Diaco videos because Diaco is a natural in front of the camera. If they had released HCPP videos we would have lost recruits.

I am not taking anything away from the idea....I loved the videos...but you have to take into consideration the subject of the videos. Diaco is exactly the personality this program needed and I don't think someone like Narduzzi would have had nearly the impact on marketing the school the way Diaco already has.

Of course...now he needs to win games..

Reaction Score
It's smart to release Diaco videos because Diaco is a natural in front of the camera. If they had released HCPP videos we would have lost recruits.

I am not taking anything away from the idea....I loved the videos...but you have to take into consideration the subject of the videos. Diaco is exactly the personality this program needed and I don't think someone like Narduzzi would have had nearly the impact on marketing the school the way Diaco already has.

Of course...now he needs to win games..

A good editor could make Pasqualoni look like Russell Crowe. Proper positioning can make a lousy product seem wonderful. It's called marketing and UConn has been behind the curve for a long time. I applaud the efforts of athletic department correct this flaw.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
A good editor could make Pasqualoni look like Russell Crowe.

Wrong. Diaco has an "it"factor that comes across on camera. You can't fake it.

There are tons of men who look like Russell Crowe who can't light up a camera like him.

Reaction Score
I think a 50k stadium would be a perfect fit for B1G and UConn anything more is a little too optimistic imo. That would put us in the same ballpark as Indiana (52,929), Northwestern (49,000) & Minnesota (50,805) in terms of capacity.

Reaction Score
Diaco is the right man at the right time. I'm all in, he's gotten it done as a DC, he clearly has a plan to succeed, and the conference is very winnable.
Sleeping giant for college football? Um, ok, sure.

We have to win football games. We can't Rutgers our way out of the AAC. We're stuck between two cities that care more about pitchers and catchers reporting than spring football. We have to win lots of games, get to and win some major bowl games like Louisville and WVU did, that's our way out. Not pushing a market with a high population that has little interest in college football relative to the other (professional) options.

Reaction Score
Wrong. Diaco has an "it"factor that comes across on camera. You can't fake it.

There are tons of men who look like Russell Crowe who can't light up a camera like him.

Wrong, you would be surprised how many good guys are really bad guys and how many hacks are perceived to be talents.

As Bill Clinton said, "Sincerity is the most important thing. Once you can fake that, you got 'em."

BTW, Nostical actually does look like a crow. He has a huge wingspan.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Wrong, you would be surprised how many good guys are really bad guys and how many hacks are perceived to be talents.

As Bill Clinton said, "Sincerity is the most important thing. Once you can fake that, you got 'em."

You really are the worst. That quote is not a "Bill Clinton quote" - I have seen it attributed to George Burns and Oscar Wilde.

sdhusky

Reaction Score

I remember a story where Reagan had some college professors to a whitehouse diner. They were planning on disliking him and holding his feet the fire. They thought they could make him look stupid. Long story, short, by the end of the night, Reagan had them all giggling like school girls as he told them old hollywood stories and gossip.

So much for their plan.

Clinton and Reagan had the "It factor" - its not about politics - you are using a terrible example.

It would be like saying anyone can be fast and then use Bolt as your example.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I remember a story where Reagan had some college professors to a whitehouse diner. They were planning on disliking him and holding his feet the fire. They thought they could make him look stupid. Long story, short, by the end of the night, Reagan had them all giggling like school girls as he told them old hollywood stories and gossip.

So much for their plan.

Clinton and Reagan had the "It factor" - its not about politics - you are using a terrible example.

It would be like saying anyone can be fast and then use Bolt as your example.

That doesn't even make sense.

Ever heard of the word propaganda? Think it doesn't work? Think marketing doesn't matter? Think there is no such thing as spin? We will manipulate you and you won't know it.

Hell, "it" is just another product. Glad to see you bought it.

Reaction Score
I think a 50k stadium would be a perfect fit for B1G and UConn anything more is a little too optimistic imo. That would put us in the same ballpark as Indiana (52,929), Northwestern (49,000) & Minnesota (50,805) in terms of capacity.

And Rutgers - Had Rutgers not expanded High Points Solutuions stadium,( even with the Meadowlands), they may not have obtained the invite from the B1G. Expansion of the Rent will be a must if UCONN hopes to move to a P5. Financing the project will be a big deal but added jobs are also important to CT. At the proper time expansion to 50-60K is critical. Bob Diaco is the perfect person to sell such a plan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Point_Solutions_Stadium#Stadium_expansion_.282008.E2.80.9309.29

Here are pics of Rutgers expansion:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rut...gNa2_sQT95YHYAg&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=770

Reaction Score
And Rutgers - Had Rutgers not expanded High Points Solutuions stadium,( even with the Meadowlands), they may not have obtained the invite from the B1G. Expansion of the Rent will be a must if UCONN hopes to move to a P5. Financing the project will be a big deal but added jobs are also important to CT. At the proper time expansion to 50-60K is critical. Bob Diaco is the perfect person to sell such a plan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Point_Solutions_Stadium#Stadium_expansion_.282008.E2.80.9309.29

Here are pics of Rutgers expansion:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rutgers stadium expansion photos&rlz=1C1AFAB_enUS456US457&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_ED9UtXgNa2_sQT95YHYAg&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=770

Doh! I don't know why I forgot to mention Rutgers, good catch. Expansion is critical into P5 admittance and I agree with you that Diaco is the right man for the job selling the plan, I'm just airing on the side of caution and don't want us to over expand. 48-52,000 seems reasonable I think past 52,000 and you begin to run into problems filling it even with the B1G. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Reaction Score
Doh! I don't know why I forgot to mention Rutgers, good catch. Expansion is critical into P5 admittance and I agree with you that Diaco is the right man for the job selling the plan, I'm just airing on the side of caution and don't want us to over expand. 48-52,000 seems reasonable I think past 52,000 and you begin to run into problems filling it. I'd love to be wrong though.

Don't they already struggle to fill the current stadium capacity?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If that's the case, I do too.
th

Reaction Score
Don't they already struggle to fill the current stadium capacity?

Here is some info I dug up on attendance. Expansion occurred during 2009 season. Notice increase attendance in 2006 and 2007 precipitated the expansion. This is why the Diaco Coaching Change was sooooo important as the program was declining. - Quickly.

Rutgers stadium attendance records were repeatedly broken throughout the 2006 and 2007 football seasons as the football program experienced a drastic resurgence. On October 18, 2007, a record 44,267 spectators attended a game in which the Scarlet Knights played against the then #2 ranked South Florida Bulls.[9][18] The Scarlet Knights would go on to win that game, and the attendance on that night would be the highest ever prior to the 2008-2009 stadium expansion.

The new record was set in the 2009 season opener against the Cincinnati Bearcats, when 53,737 people packed the venue to witness the first game ever in the newly expanded stadium.[19] This record still stands today. The top 5 games in terms of attendance at Rutgers Stadium are listed below:

RankAttendanceDateGame result
153,737 (sell-out)[20]Sept. 7, 2009Cincinnati 47, Rutgers 15
252,798 (sell-out)[21]Nov. 29, 2012Louisville 20, Rutgers 17
352,534 (sell-out)[22]Dec. 5, 2009West Virginia 24, Rutgers 21
452,200Oct. 26, 2013Houston 49, Rutgers 14
552,038[23]Sept. 25, 2010North Carolina 17, Rutgers 13

During the 2012 college football season, Rutgers averaged 49,188 fans per home game. A difference of 5,427 fans per home game from 2011, which works out to an increase of 12.4%.

Capacity at High Point Solutions Stadium is 52,454, so Rutgers filled 93.8% of its stadium capacity in 2012. That is up from the 83.4% of stadium capacity Rutgers filled in 2011.

With Rutgers going into the B1G attendance should increase. Here is rest of article:
http://www.examiner.com/article/rutgers-home-football-attendance-increased-by-12-4-2012

sdhusky

Reaction Score
That doesn't even make sense.

Ever heard of the word propaganda? Think it doesn't work? Think marketing doesn't matter? Think there is no such thing as spin? We will manipulate you and you won't know it.

Hell, "it" is just another product. Glad to see you bought it.

You are an idiot if you don't believe in charisma. You are an idiot if you believe all marketing is equal. That all sales people are equal.

I know you are an idiot for claiming that PP and Diaco are equally charismatic and its only packaging differences.

Moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate