Excellent Geno Interview | The Boneyard

Excellent Geno Interview

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
by Molly Fletcher as part of her Game Changers series. I read several weeks ago that she had interviewed Geno and have been waiting for it to be posted.

Geno says great things about CD at the end. He also mentions launching a new 1 on 1 podcast. This is worth a listen.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Listening to it now. GREAT stuff. She asked great questions and it's fascinating to hear his responses to the following:
  • How Geno defines success (1:53)
  • Here’s how to build trust quickly (4:21)
  • Inside Geno’s recruiting pitch (10:34)
  • If you’re not a little bit selfish, you’ll never be great (13:26)
  • Maximizing superstar talent without sacrificing team culture (16:36)
  • The three things Geno looks for when evaluating talent (23:30)
  • These are the recruits Geno won’t go after (26:20)
  • When things are going great, it’s time to change (31:17)
  • The role parents should play in youth sports (37:36)
I just finished listening to the whole thing and it was great. But... several things really stood out to me. It was fascinating listening to his recruiting pitch. He KNOWS what other coaches will say (go there and you won't get 30+ minutes per game. Go there and you won't be the "star". Come here and we'll build a team around you. etc).

His answer to that is basically "what are your goals?" If a kid says "to win a NC, to be an AA, and to play for the Olympics", he says "we have more NC's than anyone. We have had more AA's and NPOY's than anyone. We have put more players on Olympic teams than anyone". If a kid is too selfish and all they care about is being "the star", then Geno will not recruit them, never mind offer a scholly.

The other thing he talked about was watching kids in high school. Do they not only shoot when open, but shoot when NOT open? If they pass the ball to a teammate who can't handle the pass, do they encourage the teammate or berate them? Do they complain to the refs? When the coach takes them out, do they pout and sit at the end of the bench with a towel over their head, or do they cheer for and encourage their teammates?

Some of his comments people probably knew, but it was great to hear him specifically spell it out. The whole interview was filled with great stuff like that...

Last edited:

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Invited investment professionals in my office to attend a video conference on "divergence between the algorithymic computer buying of stocks and the simultaneous dark pool selling"....
NOBODY wanted to listen, so now I'm in my office listening to the Geno interview...:cool::p;)

Reaction Score
Invited investment professionals in my office to attend a video conference on "divergence between the algorithymic computer buying of stocks and the simultaneous dark pool selling"....
NOBODY wanted to listen, so now I'm in my office listening to the Geno interview...:cool::p;)

Go figure...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Listening to it now. GREAT stuff. She asked great questions and it's fascinating to hear his responses to the following:
  • How Geno defines success (1:53)
  • Here’s how to build trust quickly (4:21)
  • Inside Geno’s recruiting pitch (10:34)
  • If you’re not a little bit selfish, you’ll never be great (13:26)
  • Maximizing superstar talent without sacrificing team culture (16:36)
  • The three things Geno looks for when evaluating talent (23:30)
  • These are the recruits Geno won’t go after (26:20)
  • When things are going great, it’s time to change (31:17)
  • The role parents should play in youth sports (37:36)
I just finished listening to the whole thing and it was great. But... several things really stood out to me. It was fascinating listening to his recruiting pitch. He KNOWS what other coaches will say (go there and you won't get 30+ minutes per game. Go there and you won't be the "star". Come here and we'll build a team around you. etc).

His answer to that is basically "what are your goals?" If a kid says "to win a NC, to be an AA, and to play for the Olympics", he says "we have more NC's than anyone. We have had more AA's and NPOY's than anyone. We have put more players on Olympic teams than anyone". If a kid is too selfish and all they care about is being "the star", then Geno will not recruit them, never mind offer a scholly.

The other thing he talked about was watching kids in high school. Do they not only shoot when open, but shoot when NOT open? If they pass the ball to a teammate who can't handle the pass, do they encourage the teammate or berate them? Do they complain to the refs? When the coach takes them out, do they pout and sit at the end of the bench with a towel over their head, or do they cheer for and encourage their teammates?

Some of his comments people probably knew, but it was great to hear him specifically spell it out. The whole interview was filled with great stuff like that...

This is an interview EVERY UCONN hopeful recruit should listen to .......................several times. It may give then an edge.

Reaction Score
This was probably the best Geno interview I've heard in years. Surprised there are not more comments, but then again maybe not too many folks could sit through the whole 50 minutes.

Reaction Score
This was probably the best Geno interview I've heard in years. Surprised there are not more comments, but then again maybe not too many folks could sit through the whole 50 minutes.
I was finally able to and it was well worth it!

Reaction Score
by Molly Fletcher as part of her Game Changers series. I read several weeks ago that she had interviewed Geno and have been waiting for it to be posted.

Geno says great things about CD at the end. He also mentions launching a new 1 on 1 podcast. This is worth a listen.

Thank you for posting this or I would have missed it. :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Me too. I found the interview enlightening. How many times have we suggested in a post or comment what Geno would do or say in a particular situation, or what he wants? Unless you have met/know the man, and have had extensive dialog with him over the years, you really don't know how he thinks ................unless you've been watching ALL of the Geno Auriemma Show episodes over the years on SNY, and listened to every podcast interview he's given. Even then, it can be a crap shoot.

Many times he has shared with us his likes and dislikes, and his philosophy on life and coaching in the world of WCBB. If you didn't know what kind of players are attractive to him, and what characteristics he looks for in a potential recruit, you do now. I refer back to that old adage "The best predictor of future behavior is PAST behavior". Most of the time, you can develop a brain hemorrhage trying to figure out what Geno is going to do.
Like the thing we would all like to know, who that new 5th starter is going to be in November. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
First of all Molly Fletcher asked some great questions which produced some classic Geno answers. I thought his answer regarding being a good teammate and that in reality we're always on a team of some sort. Sports, work, family, etc. That answer made me reflect about the kind of teams, of all types, I've been a part of and how I felt I was as a teammate. That's the kind of Q&A that shows the difference between a mediocre and a great interview.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom