Excellent article on defending the passing game. | The Boneyard

Excellent article on defending the passing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Diaco is smart enough to tailor the defense to the strengths of the players playing it. He won't be pressing the wide receivers unless the cornerbacks are fast enough to get back on a deep pattern (and you have good safeties). In his time at ND you would see him play different pass defenses based on the quality of the safeties (Harrison Smith) compared to the CB's. I would assume he will do the same at UConn.

Reaction Score
I think Diaco is smart enough to tailor the defense to the strengths of the players playing it. He won't be pressing the wide receivers unless the cornerbacks are fast enough to get back on a deep pattern (and you have good safeties). In his time at ND you would see him play different pass defenses based on the quality of the safeties (Harrison Smith) compared to the CB's. I would assume he will do the same at UConn.

You mean he won't try to fit a square peg in a round hole with the personnel he has?

You may not understand as an ND fan, but for us, having to endure 2 stubborn old men who tried to do just that, is just a joyous wonderful thing to hear.

Yes, sportsart, I made an old man reference. Have at me.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It is a good article, but it relates directly to Peyton Manning, the G.O.A.T. regular season QB, versus the Patriots' secondary.

Last I looked, not one QB in the AAC even approaches Manning's aptitude (adjusted for time and experience), even when he was in college in 20 years ago.

Basically there is no one way to play defense vs. all offenses. So much more goes into it. Is there consistently good pass protection? Are the receivers fast? Are they good at running routes? Sticky hands? Manning has all of the above. That does happen, by and large, at the college level.

Last edited:

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
What is this football you speak of?

Is a discussion of such a thing germane to this place?

:)

Reaction Score
Well, what we play as a secondary coverage shell, and how we defend the pass strategically, I think, will depend on how our defensive ends on the line are developing and how our inside linebackers are doing against the run. There are a lot of zone/read option offenses in college, and we will see them next year. If we can't adequately stop the run, and stuff a QB, and opposing QB's are able to pick apart our defense and run free through - which happened against both Michigan and Maryland last year off the top of my head - got better later, but we're bringing in new players again at LB and DL........we'll have no choice but to back the safeties and coverages up off the line of scrimmage.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
and… if the PA game mentioned in the other thread is actually implemented, will that add to the need for a good scout team, one that will not be based on the offense?

?or is there only a scout defense? I never thought to ask…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom