Ot - Ex Penn State Defensive Coord Charged | The Boneyard

Ot - Ex Penn State Defensive Coord Charged

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i saw it all over espn today. there are 2 people involved, but JoPa is not as he came forward with some information and reported something as soon as he was aware of it. but the other two who are implicated apparently did not. i always cringe when i hear about adults of either sex use their influence in a position of power to take advantage of under age kids of either sex. children are supposed to trust adults and adults are supposed to protect them. i realize there are bad people out there, but it's harder to hear about it being done to defenseless people.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Since I am in CT I know nothing more than what has been on the news. It is a horrible situation. Sandusky was a well respected member of the State college community. He was the czar of linebacker U. And creator of the rotating zone that totally befuddled Testeverde in the Orange Bowl.

The Second Mile charity is a huge mid state charity giving kids a second chance. It hosts a big celebrity golf tournament with many returning PSU football alums and fellow pros. What is reported is despicable and will reverberate throughout the region with untold consequences. The present indictments only scratch the surface of things that will need to be investigated. Sandusky and his wife have helped to raise about 20 foster kids. These kids are very vulnerable to such abuses but there is nothing reported from them yet.

As a mandated reporter in PA we as pastors are well instructed in the law and our responsibilities. I am not sure reporting the situation to those up the chain clears one of reporting responsibility. I believe each individual is required to make sure the authorities (police) are informed. Reporting it to the AD may not be sufficient so I am not sure technically of Joe's status but cooperating with the Grand Jury and having made a report may get him clear for cooperation.

This is going to be as ugly as it can get.

Reaction Score
How sad. We should all pray for the kids involved.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Since I am in CT I know nothing more than what has been on the news? It is a horrible situation. Sandusky was a well respected member of the State college community. The Second Mile charity is a huge mid state charity giving kids a second chance. What is reported is despicable and will reverberate throughout the region with untold consequences. The present indictments only scratch the surface of things that will need to be investigated. Sandusky and his wife have helped to raise about 20 foster kids. These kids are very vulnerable to such abuses but there is nothing reported from them yet.

As a mandated reporter in PA we as pastors are well instructed in the law and our responsibilities. I am not sure reporting the situation to those up the chain clears one of reporting responsibility. I believe each individual is required to make sure the authorities (police) are informed. Reporting it to the AD may not be sufficient so I am not sure technically of Joe's status but cooperating with the Grand Jury and having made a report may get himclear for cooperation.

This is going to be as ugly as it can get.
The report made it look like President Spanier did not pursue things. Any idea if he will be implicated in this mess?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
seems that Papa reported and they didnt follow up... or turned a blind eye

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
seems that Papa reported and they didnt follow up... or turned a blind eye
But reported to who? Administration or the police. Educators in PA are mandated reporters but I am not sure how university staff are affected. It appears they are not since what Curley and Shultz are charged with is perjury and not failure to report.

Reaction Score
Sick and sad situation all the way around. Personally, I'm not sure how you can be aware of this information and not go to the police/authorities. I know Joe Pa passed the info along to his "superior" but, it just doesn't seem like enough to me. I pray for those men affected. Wow.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
But reported to who? Administration or the police. Educators in PA are mandated reporters but I am not sure how university staff are affected. It appears they are not since what Curley and Shultz are charged with is perjury and not failure to report.

Curley and Shultz have both been charged with failure to report under Pennsylvania's child protective services law. These charges are in addition to the perjury charges you mention.

Here's a link to the grand jury report which contains very graphic and disturbing allegations.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/read_the_grand_jury_presentmen.html

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sick and sad situation all the way around. Personally, I'm not sure how you can be aware of this information and not go to the police/authorities. I know Joe Pa passed the info along to his "superior" but, it just doesn't seem like enough to me. I pray for those men affected. Wow.

Exactly the point made by Mike Wise of the Washington post in his column:

"Paterno wasn’t charged, but if Sandusky is guilty he would be guilty — just as Penn State’s athletic director and a university vice president, who were charged with perjury and failure to report suspected child abuse on Saturday, would be guilty.

They would all be party to a worse crime than any crooked, pay-for-play booster at Miami, Ohio State or even SMU ever committed: guilty of protecting a program before a child.

You can’t read the 23-page grand jury report and come to any other conclusion; Penn State football and its pristine reputation apparently superseded the alleged sexual assault of a young boy — perhaps as many as eight young boys — over 15 years by Sandusky.

Joe Pa knew, if the charges are true.

They all knew.

And they never told police."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...erve/2011/11/05/gIQAYIucqM_story.html?hpid=z1

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I have no doubt that JoePa is guilty. This goes all the way to the top of that chain of command, including the Penn State president imo.

This scandal makes everything else look trivial... Even that university's most recent black mark, Rene Portland.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As I said earlier my understanding of PA's law is that JoePa did have the responsibility to make direct report to the authorities he may not have been indicted because of his cooperation with the Grand Jury and providing it truthful info.

Something more troubling is the apparent report of potential culpability of an officer who told the earliest known parent of a victim not to talk to reporters. She did not or this might have surfaced in 1998(?).

PA Child Protection Act 1975
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-act-238-of-1975.pdf

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have no doubt that JoePa is guilty. This goes all the way to the top of that chain of command, including the Penn State president imo.

This scandal makes everything else look trivial... Even that university's most recent black mark, Rene Portland.

Sadly on the PennLive Lady Lions board are using it to rationalize away Rene's situation.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Sadly on the PennLive Lady Lions board are using it to rationalize away Rene's situation.
Really? One could argue that a University that would *allegedly* put their football team ahead of the safety and well being of young children would also put their basketball program ahead of the safety and well being of young women. Not exactly the same situation, I know, but parallels. People in power knew and did nothing.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Really? One could argue that a University that would *allegedly* put their football team ahead of the safety and well being of young children would also put their basketball program ahead of the safety and well being of young women. Not exactly the same situation, I know, but parallels. People in power knew and did nothing.
I understand but check it out. You might know the guy named icebear1 :)

Reaction Score
There might be more to this story and more shoes will fall.......

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I don't know if the law required Paterno to contact the police, but not doing so doesn't seem praise-worthy in any way - the crime was despicable and needed reporting to put an end to Sandusky's activity. JP reported it to his supervisor but was TOTALLY aware that nothing was being done. He was part of the coverup. He just didn't lie to the grand jury like the other two guys did.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't know if the law required Paterno to contact the police, but not doing so doesn't seem praise-worthy in any way - the crime was despicable and needed reporting to put an end to Sandusky's activity. JP reported it to his supervisor but was TOTALLY aware that nothing was being done. He was part of the coverup. He just didn't lie to the grand jury like the other two guys did.
Legalities aside the moral choice is to have followed up and taken responsibilities for making sure everything was done to halt the situation.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There might be more to this story and more shoes will fall.......
Agreed, cannot believe everything for and against all involved is out yet.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
For those outside the area to understand the scale and impact of this Regionally, it is like this being revealed in an organization like the Jimmy V foundation.

Reaction Score
As I said earlier my understanding of PA's law is that JoePa did have the responsibility to make direct report to the authorities he may not have been indicted because of his cooperation with the Grand Jury and providing it truthful info.

The PA act says:

An individual is required to report under this act as follows:

(a) A physician, dentist, physician's assistant, registered dental hygienist, medical examiner, nurse, person licensed to provide emergency medical care, audiologist, psychologist, marriage and family therapist, icensed professional counselor, social worker, licensed master's social worker, licensed bachelor's social worker, registered social service technician, social service technician, a person employed in a professional capacity in any office of the friend of the court, school administrator, school counselor or teacher, law nforcement officer, member of the clergy, or regulated child care provider.

- - - - - - - - -

Do you think Paterno falls under the category of school administrator? Or is there some other reference elsewhere that would bring in coaches?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
It is so sad to think that Paterno’s legacy may end up being ,, covering up child sexual abuse.

Everyone should heed Spike Lee's advice, "Do The Right Thing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger