Ot - Ex Penn State Defensive Coord Charged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The PA act says:

An individual is required to report under this act as follows:

(a) A physician, dentist, physician's assistant, registered dental hygienist, medical examiner, nurse, person licensed to provide emergency medical care, audiologist, psychologist, marriage and family therapist, icensed professional counselor, social worker, licensed master's social worker, licensed bachelor's social worker, registered social service technician, social service technician, a person employed in a professional capacity in any office of the friend of the court, school administrator, school counselor or teacher, law nforcement officer, member of the clergy, or regulated child care provider.

- - - - - - - - -

Do you think Paterno falls under the category of school administrator? Or is there some other reference elsewhere that would bring in coaches?

That is exactly what I am unsure of and may well be what Curley and Schultz are banking on, as well, in proclaiming their legal innocence. Since the Athletic Dept. at PSU is a freestanding corporation they may be insisting the regulations do not apply to them. Only time will tell.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
What amazes me is that people in positions of oversight, be they ADs or bishops, seem to be more concerned about protecting the predator than protecting the victims. They may be thinking they are protecting their institution but in the end it is the predator that benefits.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What amazes me is that people in positions of oversight, be they ADs or bishops, seem to be more concerned about protecting the predator than protecting the victims.
Amen. Protecting their "reputation" organizationally motivates them to simply continue the perpetuation of the abuse of power upon the victims.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Innocent children where hurt. Outside of the perpetrator, the real indictment is an institution that chose to protect it's image as opposed to protecting innocent victims.

There was failure up and down the line in this matter. Outside the acts by Sandusky, the greatest failure was the cover up. Some of the individuals in this matter are guilty in that they failed to follow through. But the real guilt lies in the attempt to cover things up. Certain individuals deliberately sought to protect the institution and ignored the children's protection.

I don't see how the President of the University is insulated from this. Unless the 2002 report he received from the head of campus police was completely altered. Even so I would imagine he would have been aware of the 1998 episodes, and based on those events, raised a red flag regarding the 2002 report.

It would be absolutely horrible if the President of PSU put pressure on the investigating arm of his university to squelch the report. But unfortunately, the first reflex in these matters is for authorities to rationalize the greater good of the institution is more important than the importance of individuals. And people may have felt the reputation of Penn State and its football program was much more important than a few kids.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Paterno should have immediately fired Sandusky for cause instead of just allowing him to retire. Its almost as if he wanted to sweep it under the carpet never to see the light of day.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sandusky retired as PSU's defensive coordinator in 1999 at the age of 55. All of this makes you wonder about the real reasons behind that decision. He was still relatively young and, among defensive coordinators, at the top of his profession.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Paterno should have immediately fired Sandusky for cause instead of just allowing him to retire. Its almost as if he wanted to sweep it under the carpet never to see the light of day.
There are laws protecting workers that would have prevent Paterno from doing this. Most likely a temporary leave of absence until the matter could have been reviewed by the proper authorities would have been the legal action.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Sandusky retired as PSU's defensive coordinator in 1999 at the age of 55. All of this makes you wonder about the real reasons behind that decision. He was still relatively young and, among defensive coordinators, at the top of his profession.
It is suspicious. But what I question is why did he get the retirement deal if he was forced out? What does he have on the university if our suspicions have merit?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There are laws protecting workers that would have prevent Paterno from doing this. Most likely a temporary leave of absence until the matter could have been reviewed by the proper authorities would have been the legal action.
That is part of the reason that JoePA may be getting the walk, what was done may have been on the advice of legal counsel and conflicting interests under the law. He did report it up the chain at the time, specifically that would have been to Curley and then Schultz.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
However this plays out Paterno's legacy will not be enhanced.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It is suspicious. But what I question is why did he get the retirement deal if he was forced out? What does he have on the university if our suspicions have merit?

Universities, like other entities, including corporations, often want problems to go away. One way to avoid unwanted attention is to treat a departure like any other. If Sandusky were fired without a retirement deal then that would invite scrutiny into the underlying reasons. PSU didn't want any of that as evidenced by the decisions made by top administrators.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That is part of the reason that JoePA may be getting the walk, what was done may have been on the advice of legal counsel and conflicting interests under the law. He did report it up the chain at the time, specifically that would have been to Curley and then Schultz.
The severity of the punishments to Curley and Schultz, provides the biggest clue as to why institutions and the individuals in charge take the actions of non reporting. Curley and Schultz would have gotten a slap on the hand if they didn't lie to the grand jury.

The cover up would have cost them 90 days and $200 and most likely they would have gotten off with community service.

So the only incentive for these two individuals to report the crime to the police was a moral one. And they rationalized the institution which has a responsibility to several thousands of kids was more important than the trauma to a few kids. They must have been hoping the acts of Sandusky would never come to light, because now the reputation is far more damaged.

Additionally the 2002 mess now puts a microscope on the 1998 events and will necessitate authorities to investigate if any cover ups took place with those incidences.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Universities, like other entities, including corporations, often want problems to go away. One way to avoid unwanted attention is to treat a departure like any other. If Sandusky were fired without a retirement deal then that would invite scrutiny into the underlying reasons. PSU didn't want any of that as evidenced by the decisions made by top administrators.
I would agree with you if I knew all the early PSU retirees got special perks like Sandusky. But I'm not sure they do.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Specifically, I find it incredible that a university taking the action of a "forced retirement" because they suspected or had proof Sandusky was a pedophile, would provide him with the specific retirement benefits that would have given him incentives to remain on campus, and access to the place where the 1998 crimes took place.

Reaction Score
It was very difficult to read the indictment without crying. If true, those involved should go to prison and never get out. I love college sports but the direction it's heading makes me sick. You can't trust politicians, priests and now coaches or college administrators.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I would agree with you if I knew all the early PSU retirees got special perks like Sandusky. But I'm not sure they do.

He was Paterno's assistant coach for 33 years. As such he was unlike other PSU retirees. Who really knows what was behind the retirement decision. I'm simply suggesting that there may have been more to that decision than initially reported. If PSU administrators are capable of failing to report knowledge of a crime committed against a child, they are capable of reaching a perk-filled settlement to make a problem go away and have everyone believe all is happy in the valley.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
He was Paterno's assistant coach for 33 years. As such he was unlike other PSU retirees. Who really knows what was behind the retirement decision. I'm simply suggesting that there may have been more to that decision than initially reported. If PSU administrators are capable of failing to report knowledge of a crime committed against a child, they are capable of reaching a perk-filled settlement to make a problem go away and have everyone believe all is happy in the valley.

Thanks for the clarification. It is plausible there are other explanations for the retirement and it was not "forced".

It could even be plausible that if it was forced, the individuals responsible for the enforcement of the retirement had a misconception of pedophile behavior, incorrectly believing it was a one time transgression and that he could be rehabilitated. It was 1998 and not 2011.

Or they were so shocked by events and frightened by the consequences these events could have on the institution, they reacted irrationally.

Sad in any event. The most important things is we learn lessons from this.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Interesting that the graduate assistant who reported what he witnessed in 2002 to Paterno and then met with the AD and the other administrator is now an Assistant Coach (wide receivers) and Recruiting Coordinator for the PSU football team. His name is Mike McQueary.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That has been rumored but I have not seen it confirmed anywhere. He grew up in State College and is the big red headed kid you see running the team. He is a very capable coach and essentially runs the sidelines on game days as PSU currently sets up the team. JoePA, Galen Hall and Dick Anderson are all upstairs.

If it was McQueary who was the student assistant who made the report I would have expected him identified clearly like the others.

Reaction Score
Many of the questions asked here areaddressedin the Sunday NYT Sports section. I stillhavh connevions in Pa (native) to know not to mess with this one. Speculationis damaging. Remember, you can;t unring a bell!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that the football coach would not be considered an "administrator", legally.

Ultimately, time will hopefully reveal what really happened as to a "cover-up", I'm sure there is more to learn.

A very sad tale and lots of poor judgement.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In PA reports prosecutors seem to be praising JoePA and McQueary for their actions and cooperation.

Reaction Score
In PA reports prosecutors seem to be praising JoePA and McQueary for their actions and cooperation.

From what I've seen so far, he deserves anything but praise. He passed on info to a higher-up and then never again inquired when no legal action was forthcoming. Which led to more years of horrible abuse.

What would have happened back in 2002 if Paterno had gone directly to the police when a few weeks went by and it was apparent that nothing was being done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom