Evolution of Women Basketball | The Boneyard

Evolution of Women Basketball

Reaction Score
I remember when Women Basketball was a six person game with 3 forwards and 3 guards. The 3 forwards were restricted to one half of the court, the 3 guards the other half. Guards only played defense, forwards played offense.

Next step, as I recall, was one forward was designated a rover and played both ends of the court.

Next step was what I will call Pat Summit ball, full court with set plays. Slow pace and frankly boring, in my opinion.

Next step was Geno ball, full court, set plays, fast pace. Much easier to watch, really when I got to be a fan.

Now, the game appears to be headed toward something designated positionless basketball. As I understand positionless basketball is very much like RPO in football and really requires the PG to run the team, she must make the decision as to the options available to her team based upon the other teams personnel and game strategy.

The Women’s game is, IMO, more fun to watch now than the men’s game. The men are more athletic but the team aspects of the Women’s game are more elaborate. At MSST the fans are actually choosing to attend the Women’s game overthe men!

Reaction Score
The Women’s game is, IMO, more fun to watch now than the men’s game. The men are more athletic but the team aspects of the Women’s game are more elaborate. At MSST the fans are actually choosing to attend the Women’s game overthe men!
That’s amazing, given that your men are 4-0 and ranked in the top 20.

Reaction Score
I remember when Women Basketball was a six person game with 3 forwards and 3 guards. The 3 forwards were restricted to one half of the court, the 3 guards the other half. Guards only played defense, forwards played offense.

Next step, as I recall, was one forward was designated a rover and played both ends of the court.

Next step was what I will call Pat Summit ball, full court with set plays. Slow pace and frankly boring, in my opinion.

Next step was Geno ball, full court, set plays, fast pace. Much easier to watch, really when I got to be a fan.

Now, the game appears to be headed toward something designated positionless basketball. As I understand positionless basketball is very much like RPO in football and really requires the PG to run the team, she must make the decision as to the options available to her team based upon the other teams personnel and game strategy.

Mr James Naismith? ;)

Reaction Score

Wish I had said that!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Iowa held on that system of high school basketball longer than most states. I used to listen to games on the radio at night. There was a player named Denise who was one of the all time greats. I don't remember her last name.

Reaction Score

I just read that Notre Dame is asking for a waiver to use that system for the rest of the season.............NCAA is seriously considering their request..................I kid, I kid!!!!!!!!!.............sorry ND posters just couldn't resist............ :rolleyes:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Actually the true definition of positionless BB means anyone can bring the ball up and everyone has the skill to run the offense. That means no true designations of PG''s, guards, or forwards. Everyone at some point can shoot the three, make the pass, rebound, set the screens, or post up. The only real designations left are coaches and assistants.

Reaction Score
Actually the true definition of positionless BB means anyone can bring the ball up and everyone has the skill to run the offense. That means no true designations of PG''s, guards, or forwards. Everyone at some point can shoot the three, make the pass, rebound, set the screens, or post up. The only real designations left are coaches and assistants.
Jordy, is that really what positionless BB means? That is exactly how we played intramural BB, everyone was MJ and we jack it up every chance we got. I believe the two biggest advocates for Positionless BB in the SEC were SC and Missouri, does not appear to be doing either much good. Only reason I could ever see going that route would be if you did not have adequate PG. oh well, anyone one for a pickup game!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Jordy, is that really what positionless BB means? That is exactly how we played intramural BB, everyone was MJ and we jack it up every chance we got. I believe the two biggest advocates for Positionless BB in the SEC were SC and Missouri, does not appear to be doing either much good. Only reason I could ever see going that route would be if you did not have adequate PG. oh well, anyone one for a pickup game!
I have never heard the term, but Jordy is correct. The evolution of WBB has been to a blurring of the lines between the "traditional" positions. It is a direction, we certainly are not there yet.

Reaction Score
I have never heard the term, but Jordy is correct. The evolution of WBB has been to a blurring of the lines between the "traditional" positions. It is a direction, we certainly are not there yet.
Knight, I looked up positionless BB on Internet and found that Jordy was indeed correct. I believe that is a step back. As a spectator sport, I prefer Women BB over men’s because of the dynamic team aspect vs individual spectular plays. My fear is Positionless BB will undermine the team aspect of Women BB. I love the game as it is today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom