Evina huge game | The Boneyard

Evina huge game

Reaction Score
Evina was huge in Marquette game! I re-watched it and was amazed at how important were her contributions. First, she was dynamic on defense, especially in the 4th quarter. She often was guarding inside against a big and she was quick and decisive at getting good defensive position and preventing them from seeing the ball. She came out quickly to cover on screens also. And on offense, how many timely baskets did she nail that pushed UConn's lead or, maybe even more importantly, stopped Marquette's momentum. At the end of the 1st quarter, Marquette was surging and had a 21-14 lead. Who scores next? Evina with a 3- now that 7 point lead is only 4. Her cuts to the basket in the 4th for scores, her shot clock running out basket from inside the key, the steal and layup she got- she had energy and as much as anyone else really put the nail in the coffin. Great job, Evina!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I watched a rerun of the 4th quarter, and Evina was a real demon out there.

A "good 6th man," can really drive a team. The best I ever saw was Frank Ramsey, years ago, on the Boston Celtics.

Reaction Score
No doubt she had a great game. To me her only constant negative is that she does not push the ball up the floor like Geno wants so the offense gets started before the opponents defense is set. Nika does that and it is one reason why she starts. Paige can also push it. I expect when she returns one of the first things we will see is CW getting far more break away baskets after long outlet passes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is she eligible for 6th man?
I don't believe so. I can't find the written criteria anywhere but I believe to be eligible for the award you would have to not start in more than 1/2 of your teams games. Evina has started in 14 of 22 games so far this year. Aliyah Edwards won the award last year and only started in 6 of 29 games.

Reaction Score
If starting was based on performance she would clearly be a starter given the current situation. She's great coming off the bench though so it helps the team a lot in her current role.
She clearly hurts the team at the point, so where is she gonna start? at the "4" until Liv gets back?

Reaction Score
I watched a rerun of the 4th quarter, and Evina was a real demon out there.

A "good 6th man," can really drive a team. The best I ever saw was Frank Ramsey, years ago, on the Boston Celtics.
Uh, aren't you forgetting Havlicek who invented the 6th Man role? it's heresy for you, a Celtic fan, to say someone else was the best 6th Man....

Reaction Score
I don't believe so. I can't find the written criteria anywhere but I believe to be eligible for the award you would have to not start in more than 1/2 of your teams games. Evina has started in 14 of 22 games so far this year. Aliyah Edwards won the award last year and only started in 6 of 29 games.

Well that sucks!!!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Uh, aren't you forgetting Havlicek who invented the 6th Man role? it's heresy for you, a Celtic fan, to say someone else was the best 6th Man....
I disagree. How could Havlicek invent it, if Ramsey played that position prior to him? The Celtics won 7 Championships in the 9 years that Ramsey was the 6th man. Havlicek won 8, but he was a starter in some of those years.

Reaction Score
So thrilled to see Evina happy & productive again. Having finally acclimated to the 6th man role & clearly recovered her confidence, she is a critical piece for this group moving forward.

It is so important to have dependable, stabilizing, veteran bench play that can bolster the team-- especially across the stat sheet. Evina's BBIQ, size, & versatile game allow her to diagnose what her teammates need before entering the game & then fill in the gaps b/w scoring, rebounding, passing, defending, etc. And she can play 1-3 & guard 1-4 if needed.

Chris Dailey said exactly that in her Marquette postgame radio interview: she gives the team whatever they need game-to-game. What a luxury to have!

Having previously expressed concern for Evina-- particularly in the wake of her quiet, passive effort in homecoming Oregon loss-- I think it's clear now that she was down on herself, possibly/probably due to her demotion from the starting lineup & also several substandard games leading up to that contest. The mental side of sports is huge but we often overlook to assume physical limitation or injury as causality. Even as a super-senior, it's important to remember than "E" is still only 21 & in the midst of figuring things out. Great to see that she has!

Reaction Score
I disagree. How could Havlicek invent it, if Ramsey played that position prior to him? The Celtics won 7 Championships in the 9 years that Ramsey was the 6th man. Havlicek won 8, but he was a starter in some of those years.
Well, Havlicek had a book about him called the "Sixth Man" and is widely considered the greatest sixth man ever, not Ramsey. I'm not a Celtics fan, but whenever I think of the sixth man, I think of Hondo. We'll compromise and say that Havlicek revolutionized the position of the sixth man...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom