Everything's relative - Athletic article on Hurley | The Boneyard

Everything's relative - Athletic article on Hurley

Reaction Score
Dana O'Neil has an exclusive on Hurley's surgery in the Athletic. Apparently it was a herniated disc that (once he let the doctors look at it) required immediate surgery to avoid possible paralysis. A lot more serious than the original reports indicated.

He's just now been cleared to fully return to coaching.

He (and we) dodged a bullet. Welcome back coach!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yikes, the doctors told him that any hit his body takes (before the surgery) could potentially paralyze him. He got a 3rd opinion from one of the best spinal surgeons in the country, who told him he needed to have this surgery ASAP. Hurley scheduled it for September 6th, but for a week and a half he had to be extremely careful, as a minor car accident, falling down stairs, or even a player at practice going for a loose ball and colliding with him could've lead to paralysis.

Fortunately, his follow-ups since the surgery have all been positive and it looks like moving forward there will be no negative effects from the condition. That is a huge sigh of relief.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Good article
Scary how sometimes things that appear to be minor can be hidden time bombs
Glad that DH was able to have the diagnosis that unveiled the issue and he seems to be past any danger, etc.
Now, on to the approaching 10/1 practice start and please get a quality big!!!

Reaction Score
Glad Hurley is ok. Clearly strikes me as the type of guy who works so hard he doesn't even notice he is sick or injured and/or works past the pain. Work ethic is amazing, total workaholic. Of course that can backfire too as we see here, but so happy he is going to recover! I hope he focuses on resting and he will be in tip top shape by the time the season starts. I bet he recovers quicker than most people too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom