?? Everything Was A Loss?? | The Boneyard

?? Everything Was A Loss??

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When you come down to it, have you noticed Geno has appeared a bit haggard of late?

“This was the hardest year I’ve had the last four or five years, easy,” Auriemma said. “There hasn't been another one that's close. There was a lot of stuff we had to deal with, a lot. And there were times when our record was the furthest thing from my mind and our players' minds. There were weeks when it felt like we were losing, every day. Every day felt like a loss. Every practice was a loss. Every game was a loss. Every film session was a loss. Everything felt like we were losing, because everything was a struggle. And maybe you have to go through those times so you can appreciate what you do, come back and go, ‘Wow, in the middle of all that we went 29-0.’”

Six players you're trying to incorporate, so more than half of your team, almost, is completely oblivious to what you're saying,” he said. “The object is to win a national championship and you’ve got six people who have never played in the NCAA Tournament. So it's a struggle. Now, I know all the other coaches in America are going, ‘I'll take that struggle every year with the guys you have starting.' Yeah, I would too. I'm not sitting here saying I'm giving it back. I'm just saying, relative to some of our other seasons, this was difficult because there was very little margin of error for our starters. And you have all these other guys sitting there who, you know they're just not going to be able to help you in a big game.”

I remember back when Svetlana [Abrosimova] was playing for us [in 1997-01], she came in one day and goes, ‘Coach, why do you talk about national championships all the time?’” Auriemma said. “I go, ‘Because that's the goal here.’ [She said], 'Don't you think everybody already knows the goal here?' I thought, ‘She's right.’ So from that point on, we almost never talk about the end of the year. We just talk about what we have to do today, what we have to do tomorrow, what happened last night, what we have to get better at. … Nobody goes into [a season] thinking, ‘We're going to win them all.’ You're not going to win them all. And sometimes you do.”

UConn's Perfect Record Maybe The Result Of Perfect Approach

It would be terrific if we had 2-3 subs come on strong in the AAC Tourney. Right now the Steady Eddie of the bunch is Kyla.

Reaction Score
I've mentioned on this site before that Every step Geno takes looks like a painful chore. I actually think he's just in constant thought and not haggard. I was up at Mohegan last year and he was speed walking by me with his head down, so I imagine he's ok. Don't forget he's early to mid 60s now! He's not 40! I think he's fortunate to have CD and crew to take some of the heavy lifting.

I imagine there's tremendous stress in recruiting. He's only really considering like want ten kids a year? It's a small margin.
A few misses and the balance of power can slowly shift.
Pressure.

Reaction Score
I'm quite sure it is exhausting all of the things that he and CD are doing to mold so many young women into champions of both basketball and life. I'll be grateful for every year that they decide to continue making the personal sacrifices needed to pull it off with such a high degree of success and aplomb.

Reaction Score
Hmmm, not 6 new players, but 5. Geno's still thinking November-December. But maybe he's referencing the troubles from then.

Eh. We all go through these stages in life. Geno'll be 64 in less than a month, and 65 is kind of a traditional threshold year for mortality. A lot of folks get despondent about it (speaking from personal experience here), but come out the other side. So, sure, he complains that it's been a tough year (undefeated!) and sure, kids just aren't what they used to be (what exactly were they?). At some point, he'll work through this and combine his astonishing ability to teach and motivate with a new found energy and optimism. Then, the kids will be the greatest generation ever and he might even think that UConn's a pretty good team once again.

Reaction Score
Justine'sGuy: Isn't 60 the new 40?
BostonCanuck: I, too am thankful. The mental effort it must take for Geno and his staff to be so successful. But it's true: Kids these days are just not like they were 10 or 20 years ago.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
A major reason why UCONN has been able to sustain its dominance over such a long period of time is because, with a few exceptions, it has always been successful in attracting at least a PAIR of recruits year after year who later become elite players. However, after KLS and Pheesa in 2015-16, UCONN had failed to do so in 2016-17, and again does not seem likely to be able to achieve that in 2017-18. I think Geno is genuinely frustrated with the bench (except Z) because he can see a serious crisis looming 2 years down the road after KLS, Pheesa, and Z graduate, unless a couple of current benchers step-up their development NOW.

In a way, UCONN has been bailed out by transfers in the recent 2 years: by Nat in 2016-17 (yes, without Nat, I think UCONN would have lost a couple of games in the regular season), and by Z in 2017-18. I know we will have a great pair of recruits next season, but even if they fully live up to their HS rankings, they won't be able to fully compensate for the lack of significant further development in the 1916-18 classes.

Reaction Score
Geno has always said every day he fears getting fired for not producing at his present rate and that is what drives him to succeed more than anything else!
He calls it his "Italian roots"! He says in Europe you feel you never have it made, that failure is only around the corner!
So Geno and his partner in crime, Chris Dailey, work harder everyday to keep the success coming!

Reaction Score
Geno has become a " celebrity "! While it is nice to hear some more from him regarding the team and all of the nuances, I think it has become " overload ". I have always thought the world of Geno. but lately there are instances where I just can't deal with his " contradictions ". I personally feel like the most difficult part of this season , the mental aspect of getting thru the regular season to get back to the NCAA Tourney is almost over. Huskies are the most talented team in the country. I suspect this team will be playing with a chip on it's shoulder . POSITIVE VIBES GENO !!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom