Everything Geno says in public has multiple meanings | The Boneyard

Everything Geno says in public has multiple meanings

Reaction Score
Happy New Year.

I thought this point was obvious, but from some recent posts, I gather it is not.

For example, Geno said recently he had no idea how to fix the team. This comment seemed to upset many. "Oh, Geno is so negative." Etc. Hmm. I thought the message was clear. "You, the players, need to figure this out. You, the seniors, who are so inconsistent. You need to figure it out. Don't look to me."

Or, when he said about CW, "You are uncoachable." He was sending her a message. "You are in charge of the quality of your play, not I. You are an upperclassman now. Take responsibility. Play like the All American you can be."

The examples are endless.

Sometimes I think that if Geno posted on BY anonymously, he would be excoriated for his negativity.

I find Geno very deep psychologically, very astute about human nature. Everything he says, he says for a reason or three. He would never throw a player under the proverbial bus. Never. And he is very caring and loyal to his players. After the infamous Saniya Chong moment in the Mississippi State game, Geno did not say one negative word. Not one. That is not who he is.

Thoughts?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
We have listened to Geno for 36 years, so we are used to what he says, and sometimes what he means. We know he cares about the players, we know he is tough on them, we know he doesn't care what he says, even in public. So, in essence, we know we can expect anything from him, and I admit, I don't always like what he says. The bottom line is, he is the best coach of all time, he is our coach, and he will always be our our coach, and although most outsiders don't understand him and don't like him, I really don't care.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno has always been a master motivator. I have actually found that his public comments have been muted to a degree over the past few seasons. But his primary goal has always been the same, to help every single UConn player achieve their potential.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Geno is the most successful coach in WCBB. We should not ask why he says and does what he does we should look at what he says and does and try and learn from it, because it works and his success and records show it. Geno is a copy worth duplicating.

Reaction Score
Happy New Year.

I thought this point was obvious, but from some recent posts, I gather it is not.

For example, Geno said recently he had no idea how to fix the team. This comment seemed to upset many. "Oh, Geno is so negative." Etc. Hmm. I thought the message was clear. "You, the players, need to figure this out. You, the seniors, who are so inconsistent. You need to figure it out. Don't look to me."

Or, when he said about CW, "You are uncoachable." He was sending her a message. "You are in charge of the quality of your play, not I. You are an upperclassman now. Take responsibility. Play like the All American you can be."

Sometimes I think that if Geno posted on BY anonymously, he would be excoriated for his negativity.

I find Geno very deep psychologically, very astute about human nature. Everything he says, he says for a reason or three. He would never throw a player under the proverbial bus. Never. And he is very caring and loyal to his players. After the infamous Saniya Chong moment in the Mississippi State game, Geno did not say one negative word. Not one. That is not who he is.

Thoughts?
So are you saying that he can’t or doesn’t deliver these messages in private or in team meetings and has to find a microphone to send them? And if he does communicate them directly to the targeted players then who are the microphone versions for? Media entertainment? I don’t think the kids hang on and analyze his post game performances as much as you think. And how much would you appreciate your boss doing your job review over a public zoom call?

Reaction Score
So are you saying that he can’t or doesn’t deliver these messages in private or in team meetings and has to find a microphone to send them? And if he does communicate them directly to the targeted players then who are the microphone versions for? Media entertainment? I don’t think the kids hang on and analyze his post game performances as much as you think. And how much would you appreciate your boss doing your job review over a public zoom call?
No, I am not say he does not say many things in private. I didn't say that, nor did I mean to imply that.

What I did say, and mean, is that whenever Geno speaks in public about his team or players, he speaks on multiple levels. And I gave examples of his doing so.

Whether or not I would like my boss to speak about me, coaches speaking about their team and their players is part of the way sports is.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
For the most part I tend to agree. Having said that, Geno is not perfect. He certainly has said things to the press, or in public, in the past that I have to believe he wishes he could take back. So to say that everything he says has a perfect reason, is spot on, and that he's never wrong - I just disagree with that.

When he looks confused and befuddled in a post-game presser and says something like "I have no idea what to do with this team. I have no idea how to reach them or coach them - they don't listen to me" - to me that's not a subtle message to the players.

Moreover, that's problematic and troubling for recruiting. Take that quote as an opposing coach, and play it for every recruit you are up against UCONN for. "Do you want to go to a program where the coach has no idea how to reach the players and has no plan, or do you want to come here where we know exactly how to coach you and get you to reach your potential?". To me that line from Geno will be used against him in recruiting for many years.

He's been a master of morphing and changing over the years. Back when Geno started, he refused to recruit kids till into their junior year. This worked well till 20020- the Ann Strother class. That was the last class he got kids he wanted while still waiting till into their junior years to recruit them. 2003, he literally missed out on every #1 choice for him and ended up with Sherwood, Robinson, and Wright. All 3 transferred out, so basically it was a wasted class.

The following year he got Houston, Swanier, and Thomas. Not sure if all those kids were his 1st choices - it was a decent class but not a great one.

The following year he landed Montgomery, Greene (a late verbal), Tahirah Williams and Cassie Kerns. Yes Montgomery win a NC her senior year, but again, not sure those kids were his top choices (Maybe Renee was).

At some point during that 3 year stretch, he realized he could no longer wait so long to recruit kids. He started in on them earlier. The following year he landed Tina Charles, and the year after that Maya Moore. Also during that time period, UCONN went thru a 4 year NC drought. Baylor, Maryland, and Tennessee 2X won the NC's and UCONN, after winning it in 2004, finally won again in 2009.

My point is that Geno is not perfect or infallible. He has had to change how he does things over the years as the WCBB landscape has changed.

Just 2 other quick example - anyone remember his comments left on an answering machine during the Kia Vaughn recruitment? Very unfortunate and I have no doubt it was used against UCONN for recruiting by other coaches. Also anyone remember his comments about Sadie Edwards on the float during the parade after winning the NC in 2013? I'm sure he wishes those comments weren't filmed either.

So when Geno sits there in front of the press, looks sad, frustrated, and confused, and says he has no idea how to coach his team or reach them, I take him at his word. Whether it was an extemporaneous "outburst", or planned, I disagree with it. Maybe it was all planned. Maybe after the presser, he played the clip for the team and said basically "I'm done with you guys. Figure it out". I just think there are better ways he could have done it.

Reaction Score
No, I am not say he does not say many things in private. I didn't say that, nor did I mean to imply that.

What I did say, and mean, is that whenever Geno speaks in public about his team or players, he speaks on multiple levels. And I gave examples of his doing so.

Whether or not I would like my boss to speak about me, coaches speaking about their team and their players is part of the way sports is.
The bolded in sequence. 1) Again, if he does communicate many of these things in private, who are the microphone versions targeted to? 2) The only example you gave was actually just your opinion that he speaks on multiple levels. You're assuming what he meant when commenting on CW unless he told you this. And 3) It's true that coaches comment about their teams and players in public. But when was the last time you heard a coach, college or pro, call a player uncoachable in public?

Reaction Score

What you are mentioning is "job reviews." My boss has never been required to give public speeches about the people that work for him. So the point in bold is irrelevant for me. This isn't a job review. Geno's a teacher. And none of my teacher's ever had to speak before the media either. As a result, I don't agree with the relevance of your question. The position of coach/teacher is unlike any other job.

I do know the recruits respond extremely positively to it after so many years, right? Because he continues to get top tier recruits. So if we "listen" to them/ If the recruits are okay with it; what's that phrase about "glass houses?" I know some on here are current coaches and are former coaches and say they would never do what Geno does. But does this suggest then that there is only one way to coach; and that is that there is one way to coach and no other? I don't believe there is just one way.

So for me - I'll continue to "listen" to the players.

Reaction Score
For the most part I tend to agree. Having said that, Geno is not perfect. He certainly has said things to the press, or in public, in the past that I have to believe he wishes he could take back. So to say that everything he says has a perfect reason, is spot on, and that he's never wrong - I just disagree with that.

When he looks confused and befuddled in a post-game presser and says something like "I have no idea what to do with this team. I have no idea how to reach them or coach them - they don't listen to me" - to me that's not a subtle message to the players.

Moreover, that's problematic and troubling for recruiting. Take that quote as an opposing coach, and play it for every recruit you are up against UCONN for.
"Do you want to go to a program where the coach has no idea how to reach the players and has no plan, or do you want to come here where we know exactly how to coach you and get you to reach your potential?". To me that line from Geno will be used against him in recruiting for many years.

He's been a master of morphing and changing over the years. Back when Geno started, he refused to recruit kids till into their junior year. This worked well till 20020- the Ann Strother class. That was the last class he got kids he wanted while still waiting till into their junior years to recruit them. 2003, he literally missed out on every #1 choice for him and ended up with Sherwood, Robinson, and Wright. All 3 transferred out, so basically it was a wasted class.

The following year he got Houston, Swanier, and Thomas. Not sure if all those kids were his 1st choices - it was a decent class but not a great one.

The following year he landed Montgomery, Greene (a late verbal), Tahirah Williams and Cassie Kerns. Yes Montgomery win a NC her senior year, but again, not sure those kids were his top choices (Maybe Renee was).

At some point during that 3 year stretch, he realized he could no longer wait so long to recruit kids. He started in on them earlier. The following year he landed Tina Charles, and the year after that Maya Moore. Also during that time period, UCONN went thru a 4 year NC drought. Baylor, Maryland, and Tennessee 2X won the NC's and UCONN, after winning it in 2004, finally won again in 2009.

My point is that Geno is not perfect or infallible. He has had to change how he does things over the years as the WCBB landscape has changed.

Just 2 other quick example - anyone remember his comments left on an answering machine during the Kia Vaughn recruitment? Very unfortunate and I have no doubt it was used against UCONN for recruiting by other coaches. Also anyone remember his comments about Sadie Edwards on the float during the parade after winning the NC in 2013? I'm sure he wishes those comments weren't filmed either.

So when Geno sits there in front of the press, looks sad, frustrated, and confused, and says he has no idea how to coach his team or reach them, I take him at his word. Whether it was an extemporaneous "outburst", or planned, I disagree with it. Maybe it was all planned. Maybe after the presser, he played the clip for the team and said basically "I'm done with you guys. Figure it out". I just think there are better ways he could have done it.
Exactly. Better to say nothing and be thought a boring interview..........

Reaction Score

Moreover, that's problematic and troubling for recruiting. Take that quote as an opposing coach, and play it for every recruit you are up against UCONN for. "Do you want to go to a program where the coach has no idea how to reach the players and has no plan, or do you want to come here where we know exactly how to coach you and get you to reach your potential?". To me that line from Geno will be used against him in recruiting for many years.

Of course noone is perfect but look how all those young ladies he insulted- can’t guard a chair, worst center in womens basketball to several, etc. etc.Look how they turned out after all that abuse.
Fortunately just about all of his former players got it, got him and aren’t spoiled entitled adults.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I agree most closely with @EricLA on this. I do think Auriemma’s intuition on human nature has contributed to him being the greatest coach. I think that he gets the most out of more different types of players than any other coach. But I also think he is not perfect and that he is not and cannot be the best coach for every conceivable type of person out there. I think he was not the best type of coach for Houston as perhaps the most striking example.

While I agree that Auriemma often has multiple meanings to what he says I also believe he sometimes responds without thinking and makes mistakes, because he has claimed to have done so himself.

Reaction Score
What you are mentioning is "job reviews." My boss has never been required to give public speeches about the people that work for him. So the point in bold is irrelevant for me. This isn't a job review. Geno's a teacher. And none of my teacher's ever had to speak before the media either. As a result, I don't agree with the relevance of your question. The position of coach/teacher is unlike any other job.

I do know the recruits respond extremely positively to it after so many years, right? Because he continues to get top tier recruits. So if we "listen" to them/ If the recruits are okay with it; what's that phrase about "glass houses?" I know some on here are current coaches and are former coaches and say they would never do what Geno does. But does this suggest then that there is only one way to coach; and that is that there is one way to coach and no other? I don't believe there is just one way.

So for me - I'll continue to "listen" to the players.
No it doesn't and you'll notice that I didn't suggest that. And you'll also notice that I never comment on any of his in-game decisions or strategies in any of my posts. That's because I respect his right to make whatever decisions he wants within his program. But regardless of his record, that doesn't mean I agree with them all. I specifically commented on his affinity for microphones.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You have to analyze Geno’s comments carefully in order to ascertain their true meaning.

Zach Galifianakis Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
I specifically commented on his affinity for microphones.
I don't think it's an affinity. I think it's a requirement. But whatever.

My glass houses comment was directed a lot toward the media --I think goes over-the-top by some.

Reaction Score
I agree most closely with @EricLA on this. I do think Auriemma’s intuition on human nature has contributed to him being the greatest coach. I think that he gets the most out of more different types of players than any other coach. But I also think he is not perfect and that he is not and cannot be the best coach for every conceivable type of person out there. I think he was not the best type of coach for Houston as perhaps the most striking example.

While I agree that Auriemma often has multiple meanings to what he says I also believe he sometimes responds without thinking and makes mistakes, because he has claimed to have done so himself.

So because Houston never did buy into Geno‘s style of coaching that was the coaches fault ? So out of hundreds of young women Who bought into coaches style there was one or two who didn’t want to was his problem, not.

Reaction Score
Happy New Year.

Thoughts?
however you want to decipher them, with a 6-3 record and a clearly underperforming team, Geno's comments don't appear to be having their desired effect so far this season........:(

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
So because Houston never did buy into Geno‘s style of coaching that was the coaches fault ? So out of hundreds of young women Who bought into coaches style there was one or two who didn’t want to was his problem, not.
There are players...especially of late, that played better in the pros than they did at UConn...not that they performed badly in college, just better in the pros.
Danger...much better
Pheesa...better (perhaps natural growth)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom