Every one of us on here while watching a Diaco coached UConn football game | The Boneyard

Every one of us on here while watching a Diaco coached UConn football game

Reaction Score
lmao... It was BS though...

Terrible terrible terrible call from the replay person.. wasn't the refs on the field this time... That super slomo crap is ruining games like these.. Happened to My Cowboys and Dez Bryant a few years back against GB and happened again yesterday... The Steelers TE was making a play and turned with ball in tow crossing the goalline without being touched.. but low and behold, the super slomo replays dictate the game's outcome (again)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Another choke job by the Steelers. Who's Mike Tomlin blaming now, instead of himself? Never gets old.

Reaction Score
What was really awesome was watching the game in a Vegas sports book. It got so loud with the back and forth of the end game it was such a blast. Plus, as New Englanders, we all love the Pats when they play the Steelers.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I did not see the catch live. I was on my way back from a pre-Christmas Christmas Dinner in New Jersey. I finally saw it this morning and thought it should have been ruled a catch, but at the very least, this one is understandable. The Megatron and Bryant non-catches made zero sense.

Reaction Score
Pats fan here and we'll take the W. But, as a football fan, that call was insane. He clearly had control and even took the ball away from his body and extended it through the goal line plane. When his elbow his the ground it jarred the ball ever so slightly lose, but the plane was broken with control. This exercise in whether there is a catch or not by using slow motion is ridiculous. Everyone knows when a ball is caught, and its obvious. In fact most of the incomplete pass break-ups are catches with the ball being jarred lose. Total garbage.

Reaction Score
Pats fan here and we'll take the W. But, as a football fan, that call was insane. He clearly had control and even took the ball away from his body and extended it through the goal line plane. When his elbow his the ground it jarred the ball ever so slightly lose, but the plane was broken with control. This exercise in whether there is a catch or not by using slow motion is ridiculous. Everyone knows when a ball is caught, and its obvious. In fact most of the incomplete pass break-ups are catches with the ball being jarred lose. Total garbage.
As I understand the rule, a receiver must control the ball all the way to the ground. The fact that he had control and crossed the plane means nothing. When he extended, the ball clearly came loose. I think the refs got it right.

Reaction Score
This is where the rule is just plain stupid. He turned to make a football play and in my opinion turns into a runner there. It’s a situation that may be correct by the letter of rule, but any football fan/player would tell you that it’s a TD. Stop the nonsense and bring common sense back.

Does not help I was getting 2.5 with Steelers. LOL.

Reaction Score
As I understand the rule, a receiver must control the ball all the way to the ground. The fact that he had control and crossed the plane means nothing. When he extended, the ball clearly came loose. I think the refs got it right.
The play is dead once the TD plane is broken if the player with possession of the ball breaks the plane. NFL Rule 11, Section 2. That's the rule.

Reaction Score
The play is dead once the TD plane is broken if the player with possession of the ball breaks the plane. NFL Rule 11, Section 2. That's the rule.
Unless he's in the process of making the catch (which they ruled he was). If he had made the catch and taken a few steps, then you'd be right. Or if he was simply rushing the ball, yes. But the rule is different when making a reception.

NOBODY likes the rule, but that's what it is.

Reaction Score
Unless he's in the process of making the catch (which they ruled he was). If he had made the catch and taken a few steps, then you'd be right. Or if he was simply rushing the ball, yes. But the rule is different when making a reception.

That's not what he rule book says. They are independent rules. The TD rule says if the player has possession when crossing from the active field of play. It doesn't require completion to the ground unlike the pass completion rule. If the TD rule invokes prior and the play is automatically dead on crossing, there is no pass completion requirement.

Husky25

Reaction Score
That's not what he rule book says. They are independent rules. The TD rule says if the player has possession when crossing from the active field of play. It doesn't require completion to the ground unlike the pass completion rule. If the TD rule invokes prior and the play is automatically dead on crossing, there is no pass completion requirement.
The refs ruled the player did not have possession.

Forget definition of the rule. By definition of the words, an incomplete pass cannot be scored.

Reaction Score
Football is becoming completely unwatchable because of this stuff. Here’s what needs to happen starting next year:

- Get rid of automatic reviews on TD’s and TO’s.

- Give coaches 2 challenges per game. That’s the only way you can have something reviewed.

- A catch/not a catch is not reviewable. If you have to watch a frame by frame review to see if the ball moved a millimeter? Not what replay was intended for. The refs use common sense. Most (not all) of the time they get it right.

- Fumbles through the end zone no longer are touchbacks for the defense. Instead, the down counts and the offensive team is given the ball at the 20 yard line. There has to be some punishment for players being careless with the ball down there. If you fumble reaching for the pile on it’s a loss of down and a 19 yard penalty.

I’d rather see a few plays get missed with the naked eye than see another travesty like what we saw yesterday. It’s ruining the game.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I totally agree on all points - and I'm a Pats fan too. Season ticket holder. However, that play was a TD. The end result is the same. Brady would have used the remaining time on the clock for another game winning drive.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Football is becoming completely unwatchable because of this stuff. Here’s what needs to happen starting next year:

- Give coaches 2 challenges per game. That’s the only way you can have something reviewed.

- A catch/not a catch is not reviewable. If you have to watch a frame by frame review to see if the ball moved a millimeter? Not what replay was intended for. The refs use common sense. Most (not all) of the time they get it right.

- Fumbles through the end zone no longer are touchbacks for the defense. Instead, the down counts and the offensive team is given the ball at the 20 yard line. There has to be some punishment for players being careless with the ball down there. If you fumble reaching for the pile on it’s a loss of down and a 19 yard penalty.

I’d rather see a few plays get missed with the naked eye than see another travesty like what we saw yesterday. It’s ruining the game.

Totally agree. It's even worse in college ball. The UConn games end up with a 10 min delay to 'review' an obvious touchdown.

Reaction Score
I'm saving this video for the rest of my life so any time my wife tells me I'm overreacting/stop yelling at the TV, I can show her this and make what I do seem like I'm ruffling papers at the library.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Yes. We've seen this several times. It has cost Gronkowski TDS as well as many others, notably Dez Bryant earlier this year. The refs called it correctly.

If a runner breaks the plane, TD. But on a catch, you need to control the ball all the way to the ground. I hope they change it. Nobody likes it.

Reaction Score
There should be a petition to ban this Buffalo Wild Wing crap....

Husky25

Reaction Score

Simplifying the wording of the rule would probably solve the issues most folks have. Regarding this type of play. Most fans understand two points of contact with the ground inbounds and a demonstration of control of the ball (which James clearly had). That should be the rule. Done.

Regarding Replays of TOs and TDs, you need replay. Most officials have proven themselves far too inept. Unless the games involves Cleveland, half the fans are going to be ticked off.

Fumbling through the endzone should absolutely be a turnover and touchback. If you are referring to the Pats/Jets game from earlier this season (You have to be. There is no connection between the two points...Other than the Patriots), there was clearly a fumble. My thought now is the same as when it happened. The Jets should have gotten the ball on the 1 foot line. What was unclear is where the ball went out of bounds as Seferian-Jenkins rolled over the pylon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Look, you're wrong, just let it go. You're arguing that he had possession. The refs determined he didn't have possession because he didn't complete the reception. When he hit the ground the ball was jarred loose (and made contact with the ground), therefore he never completed the catch, and didn't have possession. You have to establish possession before the rule you keep referencing is even relevant. So yes, there is pass completion requirement.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Too high...too far...who gives a shi&t...it's gone !

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom