Evelyn Adebayo | The Boneyard

Evelyn Adebayo

Reaction Score
I don't think Evelyn Adebayo played in the Seton Hall game. Does anyone know why? Is she injured? Thanks.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There has been some discussion on this. All indications are that Evelyn is fine physically. The transition from being the best player on a bad team to being a role player on a very good team can be difficult. Evelyn appears to be struggling some to meet Geno’s expectations. Unfortunately, that will limit her minutes until she settles in. Hopefully, Evelyn gets it. With Touly out UConn could really use another player in the low post.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
There has been some discussion on this. All indications are that Evelyn is fine physically. The transition from being the best player on a bad team to being a role player on a very good team can be difficult. Evelyn appears to be struggling some to meet Geno’s expectations. Unfortunately, that will limit her minutes until she settles in. Hopefully, Evelyn gets it. With Touly out UConn could really use another player in the low post.

UConn has not had much luck with transfers, to the best of my recollection.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
It may be my imagination but during the SH game, the camera had a shot of Evelyn on the bench and she did not look like a happy camper.
If this was indeed the case, that is not going to help her get more minutes.
But on the other hand, there could be a good reason behind her demeanor (like flu symptoms????) and that might be a reason behind her not getting any minutes, especially in the first half when Liv had foul trouble.
And this is pure BY speculation on my part.

Reaction Score
It may be my imagination but during the SH game, the camera had a shot of Evelyn on the bench and she did not look like a happy camper.
But on the other hand, there could be a good reason behind her demeanor (like flu symptoms????) and that might be a reason behind her not getting any minutes, especially in the first half when Liv had foul trouble.

I think that's the look she's had for a number of games..................it's clear from her play last year that she has the ability to help the team even if just for five minutes a game so whatever the issue is I hope it gets rectified...........

Reaction Score

I noticed that as well, and concur on both counts.

Appreciate the the alternative...and again I concur.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think that's the look she's had for a number of games..................it's clear from her play last year that she has the ability to help the team even if just for five minutes a game so whatever the issue is I hope it gets rectified...........
I noticed that as well, and concur on both counts.

Appreciate the the alternative...and again I concur.
Or maybe that's just her natural expression?

This is Akok Akok who plays for the men's team.
1575823689910.png

That is always his expression, but by all accounts he is a great and enthusiastic teammate who is thoroughly enjoying his time at UConn.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Or maybe that's just her natural expression?

This is Akok Akok who plays for the men's team.
View attachment 48964
That is always his expression, but by all accounts he is a great and enthusiastic teammate who is thoroughly enjoying his time at UConn.
You could be absolutely correct as I don't remember seeing her being on camera in previous games and it making an impression on me. But I definitely noticed it during the SH game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is the same look she had since she got to Storrs. Not sure what people were expecting with regards for playing time for Evelyn. She is attempting to swim in the deepest end of the pool called WCBB. No offense intended, but I'm not sure Murray State and the Ohio Valley Conference where Evelyn played well would qualify as even the shallow end of the pool of WCBB. UCONN signed her because the team needed players. She is exponentially better shape than when she played at Murray state but still might not be in UCONN WCBB ready shape.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
This is the same look she had since she got to Storrs. Not sure what people were expecting with regards for playing time for Evelyn. She is attempting to swim in the deepest end of the pool called WCBB. No offense intended, but I'm not sure Murray State and the Ohio Valley Conference where Evelyn played well would qualify as even the shallow end of the pool of WCBB. UCONN signed her because the team needed players. She is exponentially better shape than when she played at Murray state but still might not be in UCONN WCBB ready shape.
Fair enough.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Coco, you were more skeptical than many of us about Evelyn’s ability to have an impact at UConn after her transfer was announced. It does appear your caution was warranted. With Touly out for the foreseeable future, UConn could dearly use Evelyn as an insurance policy for Liv in the post, if she can possibly get comfortable as a role player in UConn’s system. Absent Evelyn’s ability to be a legitimate sub off the bench, it now appears that Aubrey has become UConn’s backup center.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco, you were more skeptical than many of us about Evelyn’s ability to have an impact at UConn after her transfer was announced. It does appear your caution was warranted. With Touly out for the foreseeable future, UConn could dearly use Evelyn as an insurance policy for Liv in the post, if she can possibly get comfortable as a role player in UConn’s system. Absent Evelyn’s ability to be a legitimate sub off the bench, it now appears that Aubrey has become UConn’s backup center.
Not really Aubrey is not going to play in the post. Kyla Irwin is the backup post until Touly comes back. Touly had arthroscopic surgery with a 6-8 week recovery which would bring her back third week of December or more likely 1st week in January.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Z here, underutilized, and gone, the difference-maker for a missing banner.
I’m not sure I agree that Z was underutilized. The challenge for UConn was that both Pheesa and Z were most effective in the low post, and UConn’s 4-out offense necessitated that one or the other would have to play on the perimeter if both were in the game, or UConn could play only one of them at a time.

More often than not, Pheesa ended up being the player who moved outside leaving Z in the post. It’s not a coincidence that Pheesa was a 1st team AA in both her sophomore and senior seasons, but slid to 2nd or 3rd team her junior season, the only one she played with Z.

Reaction Score
I think it’s very difficult to learn UConn’s system in a short time. It appears Geno doesn’t have the confidence in her as yet. I wouldn’t take a transfer unless they had a full 2 years of eligibility.

Reaction Score
I've always imagined that Evelyn was accepted by Geno as an emergency "big" who was
never envisioned as part of the rotation. I assume Geno was perfectly frank with her when
he accepted her into the program.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
It would be hard to believe that Evelyn, after her year at Murray State, would agree to spend her graduate transfer year at UConn to sit on the bench. With a roster short on numbers and a need for bigs, she assumed minutes would be available playing for the top program in the country. What transpired that created the limited minutes would only be a guess. Based on Geno's comments about his players in general, not having the trust of teammates is a common theme that may apply here.

Still plenty of time though especially since it doesn't look like Touly will be available for a while.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It would be hard to believe that Evelyn, after her year at Murray State, would agree to spend her graduate transfer year at UConn to sit on the bench. With a roster short on numbers and a need for bigs, she assumed minutes would be available playing for the top program in the country. What transpired that created the limited minutes would only be a guess. Based on Geno's comments about his players in general, not having the trust of teammates is a common theme that may apply here.
Still plenty of time though especially since it doesn't look like Touly will be available for a while.
What is impossible to believe is that Evelyn was told she would not be on the bench at UCONN. Evelyn is just like every other incoming UCONN player: she was given an opportunity to earn minutes and she has not so far.

Reaction Score

I'm not entirely sure that Geno trusts Touly either. It doesn't seem to be anything personal, she just hasn't had enough healthy time to earn that trust in practice.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
What is impossible to believe is that Evelyn was told she would not be on the bench at UCONN. Evelyn is just like every other incoming UCONN player: she was given an opportunity to earn minutes and she has not so far.

That is what I am saying Coco. I know Geno didn't promise or guarantee any time. I think she thought she could earn playing time because of numbers and competition for those minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom