Evaluating 3rd year FBS head coaches (Football Scoop) | The Boneyard

Evaluating 3rd year FBS head coaches (Football Scoop)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
FootballScoop - Evaluating 3rd year FBS head coaches

>>Every job is different, every coach is different, but one truth stretches across the industry: by Year 3, you generally know. Third-year coaches, the hiring class of 2014, have crossed the 30-game barrier. The majority of the roster signed under their banner. The culture is theirs, for better or worse.

With that in mind, we took a dive into each third-year coach to see which way the arrow points.

American:

Bob Diaco, Connecticut. Record: 11-22 (6-15 American). High point: Beating Houston 20-17 last November.

2014 2-10 (1-7) -- 2015 6-7 (4-4) -- 2016 3-5 (1-4)

Is the program in a better place than he found it? Unequivocally yes. Did I expect him to have more than 11 wins by this point? Also yes. Diaco took down Houston last season and carried the Huskies to the St. Petersburg Bowl, but returning to a bowl game would require winning three of their last four games — and they’ll be underdogs in their next two. For better or worse, Diaco’s biggest legacy mark at this point is the silly Civil ConFLiCT rivalry which, if nothing else, gets people talking about UConn football, which is far more than you could say when he arrived.<<

Other 3rd year coaches discussed in link.

Reaction Score
Other than Charlie Strong the rest of that list seems to be doing quite well. Sigh

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A quick question with a follow up:

A - How many believe RE did a good job as our head coach?

B- What would your opinion of his ability as a HC have been 2/3 of the way through the 2001 season?

Reaction Score
I truly wish things were working out. I honestly don't see it, and we are only nominally better than the PP dumpster fire because the kids like their staff and don't quit. Add a touch of evil to the mix and I dare say it would be difficult to see the difference. In some respects PP was better on the D side of the ball...Damn that was painful even thinking that let alone writing it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
not a valid comparison. '01 was last year in I-AA w/about 55 scholly players
You are a bit shy on the number of schools but that aside we were also facing primarily event to good 1-AA teams during those years. I was convinced after getting blown out by Buffalo (I think it was 2000 but it may have been 2001) that RE would never accomplish anything. I am very glad to have been wrong.

I realize that you believe Diaco turned BS from Joe Montana to Joe Pisarcik but that isn't reality. I agree with the article, I wanted more and expected more wins from BD than we have seen to date. Time will tell as to whether he was or was not a good hire. He will have at least 2017 to prove his worth as a head coach. Hopefully he'll have developed aQB by then.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I truly wish things were working out. I honestly don't see it, and we are only nominally better than the PP dumpster fire because the kids like their staff and don't quit. Add a touch of evil to the mix and I dare say it would be difficult to see the difference. In some respects PP was better on the D side of the ball...Damn that was painful even thinking that let alone writing it.

Don Brown's defense was better as most of us liked his attacking defense as did the players. I am a fan of Diaco but not of this defense as I think they give up way to much ground especially on the corners

Reaction Score

That was Don Brown. Although P did have his hand in it.

Reaction Score
You are a bit shy on the number of schools but that aside we were also facing primarily event to good 1-AA teams during those years. I was convinced after getting blown out by Buffalo (I think it was 2000 but it may have been 2001) that RE would never accomplish anything. I am very glad to have been wrong.

I realize that you believe Diaco turned BS from Joe Montana to Joe Pisarcik but that isn't reality. I agree with the article, I wanted more and expected more wins from BD than we have seen to date. Time will tell as to whether he was or was not a good hire. He will have at least 2017 to prove his worth as a head coach. Hopefully he'll have developed aQB by then.
Not exactly accurate about who we played in 2001. We played 1 1aa team but also several Big East members and a number of MAC teams. But all 1A teams. The next season with 85 scholarships we ended 6-6. But comparing a transitional program to where we are now is silly.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Don Brown's defense was better as most of us liked his attacking defense as did the players. I am a fan of Diaco but not of this defense as I think they give up way to much ground especially on the corners

Does watching the UConn Huskies trying to make an open field tackle remind anyone else of watching the Washington Generals trying to steal the ball off Curly Neal's dribble?

Reaction Score
As soon as Diaco get his 5 Star players his defense will be sound.

Reaction Score
FootballScoop - Evaluating 3rd year FBS head coaches

>>Every job is different, every coach is different, but one truth stretches across the industry: by Year 3, you generally know. Third-year coaches, the hiring class of 2014, have crossed the 30-game barrier. The majority of the roster signed under their banner. The culture is theirs, for better or worse.

With that in mind, we took a dive into each third-year coach to see which way the arrow points.

American:

Bob Diaco, Connecticut. Record: 11-22 (6-15 American). High point: Beating Houston 20-17 last November.

2014 2-10 (1-7) -- 2015 6-7 (4-4) -- 2016 3-5 (1-4)

Is the program in a better place than he found it? Unequivocally yes. Did I expect him to have more than 11 wins by this point? Also yes. Diaco took down Houston last season and carried the Huskies to the St. Petersburg Bowl, but returning to a bowl game would require winning three of their last four games — and they’ll be underdogs in their next two. For better or worse, Diaco’s biggest legacy mark at this point is the silly Civil ConFLiCT rivalry which, if nothing else, gets people talking about UConn football, which is far more than you could say when he arrived.<<

Other 3rd year coaches discussed in link.

Hard to have a credible evaluation when the season isn't over. But right now it doesn't look good. Very strange evaluation.

Reaction Score
Does watching the UConn Huskies trying to make an open field tackle remind anyone else of watching the Washington Generals trying to steal the ball off Curly Neal's dribble?

We make great tackles in the end zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek