OT: Europe Trip | The Boneyard

OT: Europe Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I solicited suggestions a few years ago about Europe and you guys had some great suggestions. I'm going again for about 3 weeks this year (July 10-Aug 1), and I'm wondering if the collective wisdom of the Boneyard could help crowdsource some interesting finds.

I generally do a lot of research, so what I'm interested in is (1) Traditional Tourist Attractions that are (a) totally worth it or (say, large parts of the Louvre) (b) terrible and not worth it (say, the Mona Lisa) (2) Non-traditional Places that are worth a visit, or (3) Restaurant/Bar recommendations.

Here are the places I'm going to. Any suggestions would be great:

(1) Iceland (mostly for waterfalls and techtonic plates...my wife teaches environmental science)
(2) Amsterdam (2 days)
(3) Brussels/Bruges (mostly for beer...would love recs here...mostly spent in Bruges)
(4) Paris (we've been, and it's a way point for a cheap flight to Eastern Europe. Suggestions or off topic slanders of the city is fine)
(5) Budapest (and Eger for a day there)
(6) Prague
(7) Berlin
(8) London

Any suggestions or random discussions about

Reaction Score
I went to Paris/Amsterdam 5 years ago and Budapest/Prague 3 years ago. I'll see what I can dig up.

My parents just got back from Prague/Budapest on Sunday. My mom's appendix burst in Brno, Czech Republic and had to have emergency surgery there and was hospitalized for a week...Total bill before insurance = $2,500. I'll see if they recommend anything as well.

I hope you have better luck than they did!

Reaction Score
I went to Paris/Amsterdam 5 years ago and Budapest/Prague 3 years ago. I'll see what I can dig up.

My parents just got back from Prague/Budapest on Sunday. My mom's appendix burst in Brno, Czech Republic and had to have emergency surgery there and was hospitalized for a week...Total bill before insurance = $2,500. I'll see if they recommend anything as well.

I hope you have better luck than they did!
Thanks. And I'm sorry to hear that about your mom. That's awful.

Reaction Score
This thread can help me too. Planning to go to Paris and maybe Lyon France (for food) next year. I know nothing about either of these places and i'd be traveling with the fam (wife and kid and maybe another).

Reaction Score
I solicited suggestions a few years ago about Europe and you guys had some great suggestions. I'm going again for about 3 weeks this year (July 10-Aug 1), and I'm wondering if the collective wisdom of the Boneyard could help crowdsource some interesting finds.

I generally do a lot of research, so what I'm interested in is (1) Traditional Tourist Attractions that are (a) totally worth it or (say, large parts of the Louvre) (b) terrible and not worth it (say, the Mona Lisa) (2) Non-traditional Places that are worth a visit, or (3) Restaurant/Bar recommendations.

Here are the places I'm going to. Any suggestions would be great:

(1) Iceland (mostly for waterfalls and techtonic plates...my wife teaches environmental science)
(2) Amsterdam (2 days)
(3) Brussels/Bruges (mostly for beer...would love recs here...mostly spent in Bruges)
(4) Paris (we've been, and it's a way point for a cheap flight to Eastern Europe. Suggestions or off topic slanders of the city is fine)
(5) Budapest (and Eger for a day there)
(6) Prague
(7) Berlin
(8) London

My memory is foggy from 8 years ago, but:
2) Coffee shops, red light district, canals, Van Gogh museum, Anne Frank house, Heineken museum if you're into that
3) Haven't been, but I would strongly consider one of the 7 Trappist breweries. Westvleteren 12 is the most sought after beers in the world.
6) Charles Bridge, Castle Hrad, the lightup clock show is cool, get an absinthe on the outskirts of town.
7) Berlin Wall, Tor gate, Govt area, any graffiti alley (in daylight)

Reaction Score
This thread can help me too. Planning to go to Paris and maybe Lyon France (for food) next year. I know nothing about either of these places and i'd be traveling with the fam (wife and kid and maybe another).
Wife and I went to Paris two years ago and did really like it (hence the short trip back). We didn't go with family, though, so I'm sure that complicates things.

Is the whole trip about food? What cultural things are you interested in?

Reaction Score
Currently in Paris. Very cool city and everyone speaks English. The metro is easy to navigate as well.

Reaction Score
Currently in Paris. Very cool city and everyone speaks English. The metro is easy to navigate as well.
Yeah. It's shocking how everyone in every Euro country I've been to (Germany, Spain, Italy, France) speaks English.

I still think they appreciate it when you do the nominal amount of their language before asking parlez-vouz anglais? The French seemed to appreciate it. The Germans responded with a brusque "of course" before returning to being very polite.

Reaction Score
Wife and I went to Paris two years ago and did really like it (hence the short trip back). We didn't go with family, though, so I'm sure that complicates things.

Is the whole trip about food? What cultural things are you interested in?

Me honestly, food and drink. I'd like to smoke some Cuban cigars and just see whatever it is that I'm supposed to see.

Also my wife's first language is French so she'll get to speak her language with other French speaking people and we can all learn a little about tower l their culture.

Any suggestions on hotel and what kind of tours to do would be cool. I hear it need to think about reserving rooms now for April next year. Also if I could keep expenses down on hotel that would be nice. Probably need two rooms. Thinking abbot air bnb

Reaction Score
Went to Krakow and Prague 2 summers ago with another family and a total of 5 teenagers. Everyone definitely preferred Krakow over Prague. Krakow is smaller and a lot friendlier ... maybe not as much night life, but we definitely found it more enjoyable.

Have fun and give us a post trip report!

Reaction Score
Walk Amsterdam and be sure to see and cruise the canals. In Prague, walk the back streets of the Mala Strana area and be sure to stop in at the local cafes and sample their great beer. Also walk across the Charles Bridge and savor the architecture if that interests you.

A day trip from Prague will take you to Cesky Krumlov to see a well preserved Czech town with some good food and of course great beer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Walk Amsterdam and be sure to see and cruise the canals. In Prague, walk the back streets of the Mala Strana area and be sure to stop in at the local cafes and sample their great beer. Also walk across the Charles Bridge and savor the architecture if that interests you.

A day trip from Prague will take you to Cesky Krumlov to see a well preserved Czech town with some good food and of course great beer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lived a few times in different locations and traveled extensively for work and fun; 1 quick reaction/ comment: for 3 weeks, target far fewer places, really visit/explore, enjoy yourselves versus mad rushing around like nouveau riche, checking the box, selfie-taking Chinese tourists, etc. Happy to reply to PM'd questions. Bon voyage

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah. It's shocking how everyone in every Euro country I've been to (Germany, Spain, Italy, France) speaks English.

I still think they appreciate it when you do the nominal amount of their language before asking parlez-vouz anglais? The French seemed to appreciate it. The Germans responded with a brusque "of course" before returning to being very polite.

I work with Europeans all the time, and negotiate contracts with them, in English. It's the international language of commerce.

The Danish get top marks. I can barely distinguish them from Americans. They sound like Californians. Easier for Americans to understand than many UK dialects.

Reaction Score
Me honestly, food and drink. I'd like to smoke some Cuban cigars and just see whatever it is that I'm supposed to see.

Also my wife's first language is French so she'll get to speak her language with other French speaking people and we can all learn a little about tower l their culture.

Any suggestions on hotel and what kind of tours to do would be cool. I hear it need to think about reserving rooms now for April next year. Also if I could keep expenses down on hotel that would be nice. Probably need two rooms. Thinking abbot air bnb
I'd Air bnb it. You could get two bedroom places easier and cheaper that way. I gotta say, though, it's near impossible to stay cheaply in Paris.

I'll look at my itinerary from two years ago and let you know what restaurants we liked best.

Reaction Score
Paging @BUHusky who is currently at Wimbledon.

I've been to Barcelona, Paris, London, Prague, Munich if you need any suggestions. Brussels (Cousin Lives There), Amsterdam, and Stockholm (Uconn Roommate Wedding) this Summer.

Reaction Score

I've been to Barcelona, Paris, London, Prague, Munich if you need any suggestions. Brussels (Cousin Lives There), Amsterdam, and Stockholm (Uconn Roommate Wedding) this Summer.
I'd love to hear some suggestions for London and Prague, in particular. We're staying in the Old Town of Prague (on a supposedly quiet street, but we'll see), and so I think the first couple of days will be pretty easily filled ambling about the city. Of the beaten path stuff, though, could be great.

We found a great flight from Budapest to Prague, but now I'm a little sad we didn't do the train and stop at Česky Krumlov, which I hear is fantastic. Too far out of range for one day.

As for London, I'm a big literature and history buff, so I think I'll fill the time way too easily, but I'd still be interested in hearing any suggestions that might not be at the top of some peoples' list that should be.

Reaction Score
The beer in Prague (Urquel) is great, the food not so much.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Two quick ones off the top of my head:

1. London - Churchill's Bunker. I find it kind of cool. I'm not sure why... little things like showing the reinforcement to give the impression of safety even though it would not have survived a direct hit and the "occupied" sign on the door to the hotline to Washington.

2. Paris - go sit on the steps of Monmartre at sunset. The view is amazing and there are a ton of little bistros in the area to go to dinner afterwards.

Reaction Score
I'd Air bnb it. You could get two bedroom places easier and cheaper that way. I gotta say, though, it's near impossible to stay cheaply in Paris.

I'll look at my itinerary from two years ago and let you know what restaurants we liked best.

Yea i'm not try to do it on the cheap so to speak, but paying for 2 hotel rooms for 6-7 nighs, thats a little steep. I'm actually choosing Paris over some all inclusive resort on an island, so it shouldnt be THAT much more expensive. I'd rather spend my money on food, drink and stuff like that. Im finding some decent air bnb spots for anywhere between 220 - 300 bucks a night. For a spacious (by french standards) apartment with 2 bedrooms thats pretty good to me. For 2 decent hotel rooms I'd be looking at the 180 - 220 a night rate per room, so times 2 we are talking roughly 400 bucks a night. Saving 100 bucks a night over 7 nights, that works for me lol.

Reaction Score
(2) Amsterdam (2 days)
(7) Berlin

I went to all 4 places in March, so I can help you out.

As to beer in Belgium, this is the resource you want (read through the whole thread for updates):
BeNeLux - Belgium Travel Thread

Bruges, it's just fun to walk around. It's not that big. Take a canal tour if you want. Buy some chocolates, window shop. I got engaged out by the Windmills, because it was a bit more secluded. We ate at Pomperlut, cute spot, pretty good food. There's a few Michelin star restaurants in the city.

If you like sour beer at all, you need to go to Brasserie Cantillon in Brussels. It's in a little bit of a sketchy part of town, but it's the best beer in the world IMHO. Moeder Lambic, the Fontainas location, is one of the best beer bars anywhere. If you're able to get outside the city at all, De Heeren van Liedekercke is legendary as well.

For waffles in Belgium, get the liege ones, not the regular/Brussels waffles. There's plenty of spots to buy them around the cities.

Berlin is a huge city. Lots to do. I actually really enjoyed a walking tour we did of some of the Wall/Brandenburg gate, Checkpoint Charlie locations. It was free, but encouraged to tip at the end (and we felt it well worth it). Think it was New Berlin tours. Do most of your beer drinking in Belgium, don't go nuts in Berlin.

Great food in Berlin, you can't really go wrong. Doner kebab stands. Had some unbelieveable charcuterie at a Weingalerie. We want to this market/food truck kinda thing that was great. Markthalle neuen or something like that.

Last edited:

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score

Yes indeed. Currently in London watching this Portugal/Poland match at a packed bar (not pub).

I've been to places 2-8 on your list fairly recently (except for Brussels which was a while ago). Actually been to Prague and London each twice in the last 5 years. I can post some suggestions for each place when I get home next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom