EuroBasket 2023 | The Boneyard

EuroBasket 2023

Reaction Score
I thought that I may have started a thread on this last November, but that does not appear to be a case. Today and Sunday are the two middle dates in the qualification process for next year's tournament in Slovenia and Israel.

Anna Makurat had 8 points in 29 minutes, but Poland missed their best chance to get a key win and lost 78-71:

Kiah Stokes looks to be out of a spot with Turkey as they awarded citizenship for Teaira McCowan and she played for them for the first time.

Gabby Williams is still injured so she could not play for France. Bria Hartley does not appear to be part of their plans when Gabby is not available.

Everyone loves a Juste Jocyte update on this board and she had 15 points in Lithuania's win over Ukraine.

Here is page with all of the basic stats and links to all the boxscores and games are on FIBA's YouTube channel:

Among other storylines, Matilda Ekh has to feel pretty annoyed about flying to Sweden only for them to still lose with her missing Michigan State's game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I thought that I may have started a thread on this last November, but that does not appear to be a case. Today and Sunday are the two middle dates in the qualification process for next year's tournament in Slovenia and Israel.

Anna Makurat had 8 points in 29 minutes, but Poland missed their best chance to get a key win and lost 78-71:

Kiah Stokes looks to be out of a spot with Turkey as they awarded citizenship for Teaira McCowan and she played for them for the first time.

Gabby Williams is still injured so she could not play for France. Bria Hartley does not appear to be part of their plans when Gabby is not available.

Everyone loves a Juste Jocyte update on this board and she had 15 points in Lithuania's win over Ukraine.

Here is page with all of the basic stats and links to all the boxscores and games are on FIBA's YouTube channel:

Among other storylines, Matilda Ekh has to feel pretty annoyed about flying to Sweden only for them to still lose with her missing Michigan State's game.
Is Gabby William's injury serious?

Reaction Score

Bria Hartley tore her acl a few months ago. She’s def not in the plans

Reaction Score
Anna had 17 points, 7 rebounds, and 9 assists in 25 minutes in Poland's 136-50 win over Albania:

Some people question Albania entering a team when they are so overmatched, but I like that they are showing up and trying their best (looking at you in particular, Norway). Teams like Luxembourg, Austria, Denmark, and Ireland who have not been able to consistently field teams are playing much better these days.

Juste Jocyte had 9 points in another win for Lithuania.

Some people were trying to suggest that Croatia could have a difficult time with their game this window. Nika was obviously unavailable, but their star, one of the most dangerous scoring guards in Europe, Ivana Dojkic was out injured. Shavonte Zellous deciding to return to the fold as their naturalized player certainly helped make their win easier. They only have one game left in February, but it is the hard one at Serbia so they will want to keep it close for the tiebreakers if they cannot win.

Here is a page with all of the basic stats and links to boxscores:

To follow up on the Matilda Ekh story, she flew to Portland from Sweden and played. It's not quite the time that Sami Whitcomb played in the deciding game of the Finals in France and checked into the WNBA opener in Seattle less than 24 hours later, but it was definitely not an easy trip.

Is Gabby William's injury serious?
Supposed to be minor, but her club has been kind of vague about it. As a result of injuries to her, Sandrine Gruda, and Julie Allemand, they have only been able to field lineups with five players who are not teenagers.
Bria Hartley tore her acl a few months ago. She’s def not in the plans
Sorry, meant over the course of the whole cycle since I had not posted anything about it. Nobody really seems to suggest that there would be any interest from the new coaching staff even when she was healthy.

Reaction Score
Games from today:

Gabby and France officially qualify.

Besides not having Nika available, Croatia missed their established star again with another untimely injury and now they have to sit back and wait to see if other group runners up fail enough for them to back into the tournament.

Reaction Score

Juste Jocyte? Is she a possible Husky?

Reaction Score
The last qualifying games:

Gabby led France again. Anna returned for Poland and they won, but not by enough to qualify. I am not sure what Great Britain's plans are for expanding the pool of players before the tournament, but Evelyn Adebayo figures to be somewhere in the extended list of players under consideration.

Teams: Belgium, Germany, France, Spain, Hungary, Turkey, Slovenia, Serbia, Montenegro, Greece, Great Britain, Italy, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Latvia, Israel

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The last qualifying games:

Gabby led France again. Anna returned for Poland and they won, but not by enough to qualify. I am not sure what Great Britain's plans are for expanding the pool of players before the tournament, but Evelyn Adebayo figures to be somewhere in the extended list of players under consideration.

Teams: Belgium, Germany, France, Spain, Hungary, Turkey, Slovenia, Serbia, Montenegro, Greece, Great Britain, Italy, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Latvia, Israel
I am guessing that Spain was locked into a spot and they didnt need to invite Cazorla, Carerra, Rodriguez and Dominguez to these games. Dominguez is a bit banged up, and could have asked out.

Reaction Score
I am guessing that Spain was locked into a spot and they didnt need to invite Cazorla, Carerra, Rodriguez and Dominguez to these games. Dominguez is a bit banged up, and could have asked out.
Yes, they knew that they had qualified before the window so they tried out a bunch of players who would not normally be under consideration.

Reaction Score
Rather than starting another thread, I figured I would post again here. All of the continental championships are slated for this year and African qualifying started this week. Jana's father coached Egypt to the Zone 5 championship and a spot in the main tournament:

They join Nigeria, Mali, Cameroon, Senegal, and Rwanda in the field so far. Piath Gabriel's older sister played for South Sudan in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Well, there did not end up being any direct UConn involvement in this tournament. Slovenia reportedly pushed hard to naturalize Azura Stevens for this tournament and there were some Turkey fans who wish that Kiah Stokes had played instead of Teaira McCowan.

Today was an important day as Hungary, Belgium, and Spain clinched spots in the Olympic qualifying tournaments. Winners on Saturday in the Czech Republic-Germany and Serbia-Montenegro games will grab the last two spots from Europe. Dorka will presumably get called in to the national team in November to state her case for a spot.

Reaction Score
Did not want to start a new thread for it, so will just post here. China, Japan, New Zealand, and Australia take the 4 Asia/Oceania places in the Olympic qualifying tournaments.

Reaction Score
Starting another thread seems unnecessary so I will just add this here. Nigeria and Senegal took the two spots in Olympic qualifying from Africa.

Senegal had eliminated Egypt, coached by Jana's father, on Tuesday. It is hard to say how much Jana would have played given that she that she does not have a ton of experience with the rest of the group even though the four Egyptian starters on her former club team are in the rotation. Their most effective post player, Raneem Elgedawy, who Jana was backing up in club play after she returned from Western Kentucky having averaged 21 and 12 in her abbreviated final season, battled foul trouble against a very tall Senegal team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom