Etiquette, Superstition or What? | The Boneyard

Etiquette, Superstition or What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Good manners? Saw it again last night with Sue's injury. Seen it again and again, but finally bubbled to the surface. what? The tendency of other players to totally ignore and not react to some injured player being worked on at the end of the bench. In college tends to be a longer "bench" and separation, but in RIO you are sort of smack up against it.

My imagination or is it something of an unwritten rule or???

Reaction Score
Good manners? Saw it again last night with Sue's injury. Seen it again and again, but finally bubbled to the surface. what? The tendency of other players to totally ignore and not react to some injured player being worked on at the end of the bench. In college tends to be a longer "bench" and separation, but in RIO you are sort of smack up against it.

My take? The game is going on, they need to concentrate and cannot let anything distract them. I don't think they are ignoring the injured player, they know there is nothing they can do but win the game for her.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And there is also a respect for the emotions of the injured player - who is generally trying to hold it all together and just focus on the game as well. Any distraction for them from a 'well wisher' is likely to break through that concentration and is worse than being 'ignored'.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Also keep in mind that players often leave the court seemingly fine, grimace, talk to a trainer/coach about a physical issue, and then receive some attention. A player frequently returns to the game after receiving that attention. Players are accustomed to playing through pains and hurts, and every player knows the difference between being hurt and being injured. Sometimes a player leaves the game with the threat of injury, but after x-rays and MRI's show nothing, return the next game. Again, players are accustomed to this as well. Don't read too much into it.

Reaction Score
It's like talking to a bowler about his 300 game in the 10th frame, or to a pitcher about a no hitter in the 8th; you just don't do it.

It's also all about "Hope-she's-OK-and-I'm-glad-it's-not-me". Nobody wants to be reminded that our bodies can fail at any time, and your career is over.

Think about what you do when you are at your desk, your neighbor gets called to an unexpected meeting, and after they leave you see the security guard come by with a copy paper box. You find a reason to not be there when they get back from their meeting; you just don't want to be a part of it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
8c1cdbf9d86bdf33ce1f9e68c5825b0a.jpeg

Reaction Score

Not an expert on superstition yet I believe Sue's team mates were more than supportive. A good team mate will not dwell on the medical extent of any injury--they aren't doctors. So why fuel any belief that this may be a final ending injury--it wasn't! So they like us sat an waited the verdict and then sighed--how to go Sue!
As her team mates did.
Did you notice how solemn the team got immediately after Sue hobbled to the bench? That was about caring. There is no protocol for when a team member is hurt--a little or career ending. So they just go with the flow and avoid the conversation--until the all clear is sounded. You;ll see big smiles when Sue enters the game against Spain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom