ESPNW: Should UConn Be Worried? And other tidbits | The Boneyard

ESPNW: Should UConn Be Worried? And other tidbits

Reaction Score
Nice little article. It's always good to see some outside analysis.... beyond all the experts on the Boneyard, of course. :) There is also a lot of other WBB info in the article.

Should UConn be worried, which teams are No. 1 seeds and other questions

For those who don't care to read the article, the consensus from Voepel and Creme is "no." UConn remains a #1 seed, but falls from 2 to 3 overall.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The most critical part brought up is this by Creme

"That Williams hasn't fixed her shooting woes from last season is the one area that might be of larger concern. After missing all five of her 3-point attempts against Arkansas, Williams is now 4-for-24 from deep in the past three games and shooting just 28.1% from 3-point range on the season (compared to 33.3% last season). She still gets to the basket as well as anyone and is scoring 15.6 PPG, but Williams' jump shot has abandoned her"

Reaction Score

"That Williams hasn't fixed her shooting woes from last season is the one area that might be of larger concern. After missing all five of her 3-point attempts against Arkansas, Williams is now 4-for-24 from deep in the past three games and shooting just 28.1% from 3-point range on the season (compared to 33.3% last season). She still gets to the basket as well as anyone and is scoring 15.6 PPG, but Williams' jump shot has abandoned her"

Was CW ever a good shooter? Even Geno said in the Arkansas pre-game video that "in high school, CW was a scorer which is different than being a shooter".

Reaction Score
UConn remains a #1 seed, but falls from 2 to 3 overall.
Based on what? In 2 games, we have been dead even with 2 second-tier SEC teams. I have a hard time understanding how we could be seeded higher than Texas A&M right now.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Was CW ever a good shooter? Even Geno said in the Arkansas pre-game video that "in high school, CW was a scorer which is different than being a shooter".

In the past, Geno has said she is a good 3pt shooter but she just does not have that "irrational" "confidence" that great shooters have which allows them to shoot with confidecne even if they are missing.

What really was troubling was that she started off real well and just started to lose focus/concentration/confidence (take your pick).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Christyn shot a respectable 36% as a freshman. Last year she dropped off to 33%. So far this year she’s shooting 28%. While Christyn is clearly not a deadly 3-pt shooter, her decline over 3 seasons is concerning. She is contributing in other ways, but UConn really needs her to knock down open threes at a greater clip.

Reaction Score
CW reminds me of Jewel Lloyd when she played at Notre Dame....lots of shots, many where taken when she was either not open or just because she had the ball. Her shooting percentage was around 40.

Reaction Score
Christyn shot a respectable 36% as a freshman. Last year she dropped off to 33%. So far this year she’s shooting 28%. While Christyn is clearly not a deadly 3-pt shooter, her decline over 3 seasons is concerning. She is contributing in other ways, but UConn really needs her to knock down open threes at a greater clip.
Either knock them down or stop taking so many.... it's like a turnover almost

Reaction Score

When KML was around, I was told that she was a great 3-pt shooter (duh!) and that her miss is typically either a little bit long or short, but not left or right, always online. CW's shot is all over the place when she misses. As someone else already pointed out, she is not a good enough 3-pt shooter to be taking a lot of 3-pt shots, although I don't think 5 was a lot.

Reaction Score
Inexplicable. Perhaps she presses too much Nd it affects her mechanics but I’ve never seen that type of trend from. UConn pllayer since I’ve been watching. Perhaps someone will prove me wrong but as. No. 1 HS player she certainly hasn’t proven the goods to be a clutch player. Not all do but when she came out of HS I thought she did and that’s why it’s a bit disappointing. I hope that she will prove us all wrong.

Reaction Score
I noticed recently the CW wears glasses in some of the interviews. I wonder if she wears contacts during games. Faulty vision can surly effect shooting. The solution could be just a trip to the eye doctor.

Vowelguy asked what the quoted statement was based on. It was a quote from Creeme in the article referenced in this post. He also in that article explained why he did not consider Texas A&M higher than he does. Read it.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I noticed recently the CW wears glasses in some of the interviews. I wonder if she wears contacts during games. Faulty vision can surly effect shooting. The solution could be just a trip to the eye doctor.

Vowelguy asked what the quoted statement was based on. It was a quote from Creeme in the article referenced in this post. He also in that article explained why he did not consider Texas A&M higher than he does. Read it.

She does wear contacts during the games -- there have occasionally been mishaps. lol.

Reaction Score

In the past, Geno has said she is a good 3pt shooter but she just does not have that "irrational" "confidence" that great shooters have which allows them to shoot with confidecne even if they are missing.

What really was troubling was that she started off real well and just started to lose focus/concentration/confidence (take your pick).
IMO that "keep shooting mentality" is a horse that's left the barn. I'm sorry, but she's not a good shooter. I still think she can be a consistent scorer if she's put in the right positions, but she's not a good shooter. It's clear as day to me. Geno has to get her in positions where she can be effective. As in, along the baseline, short corner, and maybe cutting around the lane area. (although she misses that little J- between the FT line and the dashed line- #3 in "around the world"- she missed that bunny like 3X yesterday, once on a break) And of course in the open floor.
She interrupted our comebacks yesterday because she can't hit the open shot. A shooter shoots, that's what they do. It's not about concentration. Shooters concentrate. That's what shooters do.

Reaction Score
CW can hit the 3 but I don't think thats necessarily her strength. Maybe don't shoot it as much. She does much better driving to the basket and using her athleticism.

CW is more of a scorer than a shooter.

Reaction Score
CW can hit the 3 but I don't think thats necessarily her strength. Maybe don't shoot it as much. She does much better driving to the basket and using her athleticism.

CW is more of a scorer than a shooter.
I would say drive to the basket more and draw the foul but even her free throw % is off.

Reaction Score
I would say drive to the basket more and draw the foul but even her free throw % is off.
It would be still more beneficial for UCONN if she were getting more FT opportunities and getting teams in foul trouble than to miss a bunch of 3's.

Free throws solution? Not sure but getting into the gym and getting reps in.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When KML was around, I was told that she was a great 3-pt shooter (duh!) and that her miss is typically either a little bit long or short, but not left or right, always online. CW's shot is all over the place when she misses. As someone else already pointed out, she is not a good enough 3-pt shooter to be taking a lot of 3-pt shots, although I don't think 5 was a lot.
Lou missed left or right occasionally, but not often. Maya's shots may have been on-line more. Kaleena rarely missed other than long or short. Azzi practically is never of-line. But Christyn misses wide, short, and long. I would prefer her to not take any 3-pointers under normal circumstances unless the shot clock is under 5 seconds.

Reaction Score
Lou missed left or right occasionally, but not often. Maya's shots may have been on-line more. Kaleena rarely missed other than long or short. Azzi practically is never of-line. But Christyn misses wide, short, and long. I would prefer her to not take any 3-pointers under normal circumstances unless the shot clock is under 5 seconds.
100% It's the idea that if you're fundamentally sound on each shot, it should ever only be short or long.
1) elbow in 2) feet slightly off-set, shoulder width apart 3) bend your knees 4) finger tips controlling the ball in order to create the backspin 5) guide hand on the side of the ball, not influencing the shot 6) follow through to the target
7) jumping straight up in the air, not leaning to either side or even forward or backward.

Reaction Score
UConn will be fine. Their a very young team and getting better all the time. I'm not the least bit concerned.

Reaction Score
CW reminds me of Jewel Lloyd when she played at Notre Dame....lots of shots, many where taken when she was either not open or just because she had the ball. Her shooting percentage was around 40

Interesting take.

Reaction Score
When I watch the Azzi/Paige shooting contest it is always like 23out of 25 to 22 out of 25 with no one guarding them. game conditions and conditioning will factor but that is why Geno says Paige has to shoot. Why, because she is the best shooter on the team. Evina has gotten into a good catch and shoot rhythm looks natural with all the right mechanics. Azzi will start next year because she is a great all around guard who is not afraid to shoot and will hit them on a constant basis. Someone is going to come off the bench from the guards.

Reaction Score
I think CW is not a good 3 point shooter and that is an immutable fact so she should not be taking 5 in the game against Arkansas. Paige was 3-3 and Evina was 5-7. Who should be shooting the 3s? She is not a pure shooter like KLS or KML or many others and it is not going to get fixed in a permanent way. My point has been to get the ball to the better shooters. What if AE took 5 3s against Arkansas? Wouldn't you say it should stop? CW is a scorer. She should be driving, cutting, pulling up and getting the ball in transition. Shooting 3s? Not in my book. As I pointed out before, between she and AG they were 1-8. If Paige and Evina combined take only half those 8 three point shots against Arkansas they make 3 of them at their combined percentage that night for another 9 points on our score. I think CW knows this as well. It would be great to see her deferring to Buckets and Mama E on the 3 ball today and reciprocally getting the ball in positions she can score in.

Reaction Score
Probably true, we tended to think after her freshmen season she was a pretty good shooter who might improve a little. The rest of her game has improved, but it is looking more and more like the last two years is who she is on shooting, and her first year might have been the exception to the rule.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom