ESPNw Round Table: Could UConn Go Independent? | The Boneyard

ESPNw Round Table: Could UConn Go Independent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not only is UCONN going to need a league, but they are probably going to need a decent league. Maybe not immediately, but down the road.

Reaction Score
Agreed, they'll need a league and preferably one with at least two other strong teams in it for an ongoing rivalry...kind of like the Big East used to be, eh?

Oh, that the B1G would come calling. I'd love to see the Huskies play down the road at Williams Arena in Minneapolis!

Reaction Score
I'll put a few more anecdotes out there as I pause in the vigil for Newtown and the accompanying information on community links to victims.

Separate and apart from UCONN conference affiliation uncertainty, I am experiencing a withdrawal of interest in collegiate sports in general, especially football. I d'int watch any college football games this year and few last year. None of the realignments are appealing. They are all resulting in the loss of traditional rivalries and strained geographic regrouping.

Granted, in time new traditions will be built up and current angst forgotten. The test of time might even bode well for the Big East, now considered rag tag by most, for all we know.

It has been remarked that football teevee $$ is a driving force in the realignment shuffle; and so it is. I guess it's assumed people will continue to watch and attend games. I don't know if viewership is up this year, I doubt attendance is up for college football, but those stats can probably be checked and analyzed by those who might need accuracy. I'm here relying on a data set of 1. I will not watch college football as I think the game has been ruined by conference realignment.

WCBB is ok for the moment, but it, too, is at risk of losing my interest. I have a hard time imagining how the new Catholic league of BB only institutions can possibly raise interest in WCBB. But, time will tell I suppose.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
WCBB is ok for the moment, but it, too, is at risk of losing my interest. I have a hard time imagining how the new Catholic league of BB only institutions can possibly raise interest in WCBB. But, time will tell I suppose.
They won't. And I don't even think that's in the thought process. For the C7 it's about MBB.

It's like this. Men's Football >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MBB>>>>>>>WBB.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
They can be independent until Geno leaves. Recruits will still come and there will be plenty of national games i.g. Stanford, Baylor. Once he leaves, regardless of his replacement, they will need a good conference. IMHO.

Reaction Score
Not only is UCONN going to need a league, but they are probably going to need a decent league. Maybe not immediately, but down the road.
Couldn't agree more! AS I've stated whats left of the basketball teams is abysmal.

Reaction Score
I'll put a few more anecdotes out there as I pause in the vigil for Newtown and the accompanying information on community links to victims.

Separate and apart from UCONN conference affiliation uncertainty, I am experiencing a withdrawal of interest in collegiate sports in general, especially football. I d'int watch any college football games this year and few last year. None of the realignments are appealing. They are all resulting in the loss of traditional rivalries and strained geographic regrouping.

Granted, in time new traditions will be built up and current angst forgotten. The test of time might even bode well for the Big East, now considered rag tag by most, for all we know.

It has been remarked that football teevee $$ is a driving force in the realignment shuffle; and so it is. I guess it's assumed people will continue to watch and attend games. I don't know if viewership is up this year, I doubt attendance is up for college football, but those stats can probably be checked and analyzed by those who might need accuracy. I'm here relying on a data set of 1. I will not watch college football as I think the game has been ruined by conference realignment.

The Catholic seven via Georgetown Villanova St.Johns will have no issues as these teams were the nucleus of the original conf. Furthermore all the schools are located in geographic areas where hoops rule! It's not Texas or Oklahoma Nebraska or Ohio. It is very urban East Coast where if you walk 10 blocks you can find kids shooting hoops any time of year!

Reaction Score
Agreed, they'll need a league and preferably one with at least two other strong teams in it for an ongoing rivalry...kind of like the Big East used to be, eh?

Oh, that the B1G would come calling. I'd love to see the Huskies play down the road at Williams Arena in Minneapolis!
Who do you wish would call??????

Reaction Score
They won't. And I don't even think that's in the thought process. For the C7 it's about MBB.

It's like this. Men's Football >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MBB>>>>>>>WBB.
I believe it is about men's BB but so was the original big east until UConn and Rutgers and some of the other schools started having competitive women's teams. Georgetown St Johns De Paul are already pretty good teams in women's BB

Reaction Score
Who do you wish would call??????

Not sure what they'll call it eventually, but the old Big 10. That's just selfish thinking, though, as I'm now in Big 10 country.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not sure what they'll call it eventually, but the old Big 10. That's just selfish thinking, though, as I'm now in Big 10 country.
Me, too, the B1G will be far more stable than the ACC which is still vulnerable to being locked out if the BCS reduces to four super conferences. SEC, Big 12, PAC 12, and the B1G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom