ESPNW Player of the Week | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPNW Player of the Week

Reaction Score
These awards need to be taken with a grain of salt. A paper in Minn has a state player of the week award and Paige Bueckers hasn't gotten even one.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She got a deserved PAC12 POW winning two games at home, but Pulliam beat her with stats and she is the leader of a team that is ranked #14 in the country. I'd say she's more deserving.

Pulliam had better stats, but leading UW to wins over USC and UCLA is a WHOLE lot better than wins over Rutgers and Wisconsin. I was going for the overall impact of their respective performances. In that regard it's no contest.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Pulliam had better stats, but leading UW to wins over USC and UCLA is a WHOLE lot better than wins over Rutgers and Wisconsin. I was going for the overall impact of their respective performances. In that regard it's no contest.
I think at this point of the season, they might be a little more inclined to favor players from teams with a chance of making the NCAA tournament? Ya know, that whole cross-marketing thing...

Reaction Score
Week 17

So down two points late in fourth quarter Sunday on the road against No. 19 Florida State, what was left to play for? In Sam Brunelle's case, as she hit her seventh 3-pointer of the day to give the Fighting Irish a lead in a game in which they never again trailed, the answer was simple.

The future.

Whether it's the immediate future as the postseason begins or a slightly longer view, plenty of her peers around the country know where Brunelle was coming from en route to earning espnW national player of the week.

Also considered: Bella Alarie, Princeton; Mariella Fasoula, Vanderbilt; Lexi Gordon, Texas Tech; Haley Gorecki, Duke; Anastasia Hayes, MTSU; Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon; Satou Sabally, Oregon; Jasmine Walker, Alabama

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Also considered: Bella Alarie, Princeton; Mariella Fasoula, Vanderbilt; Lexi Gordon, Texas Tech; Haley Gorecki, Duke; Anastasia Hayes, MTSU; Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon; Satou Sabally, Oregon; Jasmine Walker, Alabama

Interesting sign o' the times?: Four of this week's "also considered" are transfers.

I remember when Jasmine Walker transferred out of Florida State thinking they'd need her "later, rather than sooner." As it is, she got a lot of PT with the Crimson Tide. (Next year is when the Seminoles would really need her)

As for the award winner, the two games that were the sample size for this week's voting (North Carolina and FSU) were her two best consecutive games of the year, far and away. Hopefully, that's a "sign o' the times" for the Irish for next year. ;)

Plebe

Reaction Score
I posited last week that the ESPN panel, as we approach/enter March, might lean toward recognizing players from NCAA tournament teams as a way of cross-promotion.

I guess ESPN is banking on Notre Dame winning the ACC tournament :p :cool:

Reaction Score
I posited last week that the ESPN panel, as we approach/enter March, might lean toward recognizing players from NCAA tournament teams as a way of cross-promotion.

I guess ESPN is banking on Notre Dame winning the ACC tournament :p :cool:
I agree, I don't get Brunelle getting this and I'm a domer. She didn't even get ACC POW which Gorecki got. Sabally, who was PAC12 POW, and averaged similar in pts/rebounds/assists/stls/blks in 3 games over Brunelle's 2 game stats in less minutes per game (Brunelle 33 vs Satou's 29) should have got it. She even had 27 pts/9 ribbies against #4 Stanford.

This is ESPN/ACCN promoting their ACC tournament and hoping their biggest draw for viewership will watch to see if ND has a chance. They don't have PAC12 tourney games until the championship. When the NCAA tourney starts watch how they push PAC12 players since they have all their games from then on.

Reaction Score
ESPN is pushing certain story lines for these POW awards. This week it was impact Freshmen and Brunelle was their poster child, but they mentioned others. They also haven't awarded 1 team to different players, although they gave it to Sabrina twice. Let's see who gets Naismith women's national player of the week which Aari won 2/3 and.Ruthy 2/17, corresponding with their PAC12 POW and Aari didn't get a 2nd ESPN POE that week. Maybe Satou gets it this week.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I agree, I don't get Brunelle getting this and I'm a domer. She didn't even get ACC POW which Gorecki got. Sabally, who was PAC12 POW, and averaged similar in pts/rebounds/assists/stls/blks in 3 games over Brunelle's 2 game stats in less minutes per game (Brunelle 33 vs Satou's 29) should have got it. She even had 27 pts/9 ribbies against #4 Stanford.

This is ESPN/ACCN promoting their ACC tournament and hoping their biggest draw for viewership will watch to see if ND has a chance. They don't have PAC12 tourney games until the championship. When the NCAA tourney starts watch how they push PAC12 players since they have all their games from then on.

The idea that the ESPNW's POW award has any impact on tv viewership is laughable.

Brunelle and Notre Dame weathering a tough season and pulling out a ranked road win is a nice story and worthy of a little praise.

Sabally and Oregon have had plenty of praise this year with plenty more to come. Yet you're going to complain about the one bit of shine Brunelle has had during a trying year?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Well the ACC is only going to be on ESPN for the semi finals and finals. The rest of the tournament will be on the RSN's. Nothing will be shown on the ACCN. Likely ND will be gone before the tournament hits ESPN. On the other hand.... the whole SEC tournament will be shown on ESPN properties. Guess they should have made an SEC player the Player of the week. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Well the ACC is only going to be on ESPN for the semi finals and finals. The rest of the tournament will be on the RSN's. Nothing will be shown on the ACCN. Likely ND will be gone before the tournament hits ESPN. On the other hand.... the whole SEC tournament will be shown on ESPN properties. Guess they should have made an SEC player the Player of the week. :rolleyes:
All the games will be able to be streamed live on the ESPN app which I always do. I don't get the RSN on the west coast but I get all the ACC games through the ESPN app, both live and replays.

Reaction Score
The idea that the ESPNW's POW award has any impact on tv viewership is laughable.

Brunelle and Notre Dame weathering a tough season and pulling out a ranked road win is a nice story and worthy of a little praise.

Sabally and Oregon have had plenty of praise this year with plenty more to come. Yet you're going to complain about the one bit of shine Brunelle has had during a trying year?
Ok...I'll accept I am pushing the Ducks too much given their stats. Sam is deserving and certqinly got a lot of awards for her great play against UNC and FSU. I just noticed she got another national award along with Tennessee's Davis from the sportswriters, Go Sam, I am sure she will get more awards over the next 3 years,

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Alternative hypothesis: this is the last time the Domers will be relevant until November. Trying to appease as many big fan bases in WCBB as possible, and this was the easiest way to gratify the Muffet's Bench cohort. Chances are Oregon fan clickbait will be all over ESPN's pages for the next six weeks.
This post aged well... :D

Plebe

Reaction Score
This post aged well... :D
;)

But based on @triaddukefan ‘a live report, the paltry attendance from the Flighty Irish fans indicates that they gave up on this season a long time ago. Maybe they’re watching soccer or softball.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Now for the year end capper....

Player of the Year
Sabrina Ionescu

Coach of the Year
Dawn Staley

Freshman of the Year
Aliyah Boston

Mid-major Player of the Year
Ciara Duffy
Don't believe that these choices are going to surprise too many people.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom