ESPN2 now showing "111" replay game...don't watch!nm | The Boneyard

ESPN2 now showing "111" replay game...don't watch!nm

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Kobe told Lou to watch the loses to learn from them.
Just watched Itty Bitty hit a last second shot to stop the streak.
Oh Well :(

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I just rewatched it from start to finish. Of course, the end was disappointing (again), but one has to be impressed with UConn's clutch comeback from the bad side of a 29-13 deficit to take the game to 64-64 with 20 seconds left in the first overtime.

Saniya Chong's blunder in starting the last UConn offensive play, with the score tied, when a full 12 seconds remained on the clock, was apparent and was noted by the announcers in real time.

What I don't think I appreciated until I rewatched the game is how good it was and how entertaining it was. Certainly it remains a great showpiece for women's college basketball.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Got to say, this game did not bother me like the ND games would. I will never forget Geno's smile of disbelief and I dare say "pleasure" that an underdog did the impossible. The true glory of sport.

Reaction Score
So ESPN has gone out of their way to show games in which UCONN loses. What is the deal with that? It has happened what 15 times in the last decade and they only want to focus on those games....

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
So ESPN has gone out of their way to show games in which UCONN loses. What is the deal with that? It has happened what 15 times in the last decade and they only want to focus on those games....

LOL. What a thing to whine about....
And if they were showing only ND games, I think we would still be whining.

BTW I haven't really been paying attention to the ESPN networks broadcasts knowing that nothing new is on but I did happen to see two WBB games that were scheduled, the Miss State streak ender and this season's Oregon loss. I had the same thought, out of all the WBB games on ESPN, they pick 2 UConn losses. But like I said, I have not looked at their broadcast schedules and it probably was just a coincidence that I only saw these two games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Saniya Chong's blunder in starting the last UConn offensive play, with the score tied, when a full 12 seconds remained on the clock, was apparent and was noted by the announcers in real time.
Agree, but if that foul gets called and she makes her free throws, maybe it would be thought of less critically.

Reaction Score
OR, if she makes the shot, the thought disappears. All I know is Saniya saw a lane briefly as big as the state of Delaware and she tried to make a play to win the game. The pressure then becomes the opponent's with less than 10 seconds on the clock.

Reaction Score
OR, if she makes the shot, the thought disappears. All I know is Saniya saw a lane briefly as big as the state of Delaware and she tried to make a play to win the game. The pressure then becomes the opponent's with less than 10 seconds on the clock.

But she didn't make the shot. Which is why you hold for the final shot in a tied game with the shot clock off. That's basketball 101.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

They were showing games as part of the "Best of College Basketball" from recent years. One game shown was the men's ACCT Championship between UNC and Duke from 2019 -- this was the game shown directly before UCONN-MSST.

But the game (UCONN/MSST) was in a Final Four. It featured a buzzer-beating shot in overtime. It ended the record 111-game winning streak. It ended the season for the four-time defending champions (and a four-peat had never been accomplished before in women's NCAAT history). It garnered huge ratings for women's college hoops at the time (1.75 share, 2.8 million viewers).

It is a classic game, for all of these reasons. It is not ESPN "going out of their way" to show games in which UConn loses. And it was shown, like other classic games. Just as an example, Thursday's slate will feature huge upsets from 2019-20 on the men's side -- Wofford vs. UNC and Evansville vs. Kentucky.

When you are a fan of the best program in history, a game that involves a huge upset on a last second shot in overtime is going to be considered a classic. Yes, it stings (ask Kentucky's men's fans how it feels every time Christian Laettner's shot from the 1992 Elite Eight is shown). But it hardly means ESPN is somehow biased against UConn or intentionally seeking to air games in which UConn lost.

Personally, I am happy that espn2 aired the rebroadcast of women's basketball game (as opposed to another men's CBB game) during prime time.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

To get under the UConn fans skin more, just televising the TN / Stanford 2008 final with Candace Parker dominating and smiling her way to her 2nd championship. :rolleyes:

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
They were showing games as part of the "Best of College Basketball" from recent years. One game shown was the men's ACCT Championship between UNC and Duke from 2019 -- this was the game shown directly before UCONN-MSST.

But the game (UCONN/MSST) was in a Final Four. It featured a buzzer-beating shot in overtime. It ended the record 111-game winning streak. It ended the season for the four-time defending champions (and a four-peat had never been accomplished before in women's NCAAT history). It garnered huge ratings for women's college hoops at the time (1.75 share, 2.8 million viewers).

It is a classic game, for all of these reasons. It is not ESPN "going out of their way" to show games in which UConn loses. And it was shown, like other classic games. Just as an example, Thursday's slate will feature huge upsets from 2019-20 on the men's side -- Wofford vs. UNC and Evansville vs. Kentucky.

When you are a fan of the best program in history, a game that involves a huge upset on a last second shot in overtime is going to be considered a classic. Yes, it stings (ask Kentucky's men's fans how it feels every time Christian Laettner's shot from the 1992 Elite Eight is shown). But it hardly means ESPN is somehow biased against UConn or intentionally seeking to air games in which UConn lost.

Personally, I am happy that espn2 aired the rebroadcast of women's basketball game (as opposed to another men's CBB game) during prime time.

So, what your saying is that any time the Uconn Women's team loses, it is an historical, significant event.
Well, it may be backhanded but it is a compliment. Thanks, @CamrnCrz1974 . :D

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
So, what your saying is that any time the Uconn Women's team loses, it is an historical, significant event.
Well, it may be backhanded but it is a compliment. Thanks, @CamrnCrz1974 . :D

@dogged1 , if you read my post, I specifically explained the reasons and parameters as to why this particular game UCONN/MSST, 2017) was considered historical/a classic/extremely significant. Nowhere did I state that any UConn loss would garner such consideration.

Again, as I stated:

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Did read your post and understood your intent. Only having a little fun. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, hence the big grin emoji.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just finished watching Louisville's upset win over Baylor in 2013 S16. That was fun. Unlike the Youtube videos, a little more post game coverage.

Forgot Shoni picked up a silly 5th foul with about 5' left.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

@01Neaggrad02 , in addition to my previous posts above, ESPN is also advertising its classic games, using four of the all-time greatest players in the history of college basketball.

1584643501937.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom