ESPN - WNBA Mock Draft | The Boneyard

ESPN - WNBA Mock Draft

Reaction Score
As the season has progressed, I get why all these players are predicted in this order. Earlier in the season, I couldn’t see it. The last two games I could see why Shepard would go second round. I would say Gustafson could go higher and I don’t know if a team would take a chance on Macbegor first round. International players in the W is not the same in NBA; not a lot of security. I’m interested to see who Phoenix picks because I’m a Phoenix fan and who Mike Thibault picks with the 10th pick

Reaction Score
I’m interested to see who Phoenix picks

I really hope Brondello doesn’t pick Aussies just because she’s their national team coach. To me Magbegor hasn’t proven she’s a first round pick. No way she should go ahead of Lou. I could live with Alanna Smith depending on how things shake out in front of them but to take Magbegor would be crazy.

Reaction Score
I really hope Brondello doesn’t pick Aussies just because she’s their national team coach. To me Magbegor hasn’t proven she’s a first round pick. No way she should go ahead of Lou. I could live with Alanna Smith depending on how things shake out in front of them but to take Magbegor would be crazy.

How about if they take both?

Reaction Score
so like i want to know what these people's mock drafts would be say no one early declares. if young and ionescu don't declare, are we supposed to assume everyone moves up 1 or 2 spots? not necessarily - so stupid imo.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
As a Sun fan, I have very mixed emotions about Lou's potential availability. I want to be excited about the prospect, but her injury history is WHY she may be there at #9. It is a legit concern and the W is way more physical and high speed than the NCAA. Also, having Lou there also puts enormous pressure on her (to score) and the coach (to give her minutes whether she earns them or not). Unreasonable expectations will be the order of the day.

Should the Sun pass if she's available? No, I don't think so. Just like I said before the last draft when it looked like Kia was going to be available. I was wrong then, and the Sun passed for some very logical reasons. How'd that work out?

In terms of where she might fit on the Sun team... "Stricklen (literally) light". She may be able to fill a role similar to the slightly shorter, but burlier Strick.

Whatever happens, I'll hope for the best and look forward seeing it all play out live in the Sun Arena this summer.

Meanwhile Lou has unfinished business...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As a Sun fan, I have very mixed emotions about Lou's potential availability. I want to be excited about the prospect, but her injury history is WHY she may be there at #9. It is a legit concern and the W is way more physical and high speed than the NCAA. Also, having Lou there also puts enormous pressure on her (to score) and the coach (to give her minutes whether she earns them or not). Unreasonable expectations will be the order of the day.

Should the Sun pass if she's available? No, I don't think so. Just like I said before the last draft when it looked like Kia was going to be available. I was wrong then, and the Sun passed for some very logical reasons. How'd that work out?

In terms of where she might fit on the Sun team... "Stricklen (literally) light". She may be able to fill a role similar to the slightly shorter, but burlier Strick.

Whatever happens, I'll hope for the best and look forward seeing it all play out live in the Sun Arena this summer.
Stricklen added 30 pounds last year. Lou is a much better basketball player. If Lou drops that far, the Sun should grab her in a heartbeat. She is a great passer and can play with Alyssa, Jasmine, and Courtney, as well as Chiney, Jonquel, and Tuck.

I'm biased, but the only players in the draft who are as good as Lou overall are Sabrina and Pheesa.

Lou will add to the attendance in Uncasville.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ezi is risky, but the upside is really high. Who wants to take a chance?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Minnesota needs guards. Phee, Turner, and Huff? I really like Phee, and Brianna could be good. But they need a PG and SG.

Reaction Score
I don’t want Smith or Magbegor lol. I think Phoenix needs a point guard and a forward. I know Dee plays a lot of point for Phoenix and they already have January, but January is not in her Fever championship form and Dee is even better off the ball. I know they picked up Essence Carson from the sparks. I really wish Odyssey sims had come. I hope we trade for a good forward because I don’t think I’ll like anything that will be available in the draft at 8 for a forward spot.

Reaction Score
If Lou is still on the board, I hope the Sparks take KLS. They lost Essence Carson to the Mercury in the off season and the Sparks are in need of some outside shooting. Oh and her sister played a few games for the team last year :D

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Stricklen added 30 points last year. Lou is a much better basketball player. If Lou drops that far, the Sun should grab her in a heartbeat. She is a great passer and can play with Alyssa, Jasmine, and Courtney, as well as Chiney, Jonquel, and Tuck.

I'm biased, but the only players in the draft who are as good as Lou overall are Sabrina and Pheesa.

Lou will add to the attendance in Uncasville.
Not sure what you meant by "added 30 pts last year".
No point In arguing who might be better now, but I'd agree that Lou has a higher ceiling if she can stay healthy. IF.

Reaction Score
I think that whole article is junk. It was written to just get people talking. None of those selections actually match what the present teams actually need.

Reaction Score
If Lou is still on the board, I hope the Sparks take KLS. They lost Essence Carson to the Mercury in the off season and the Sparks are in need of some outside shooting. Oh and her sister played a few games for the team last year :D

They resigned karlie back this year also

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not sure what you meant by "added 30 pts last year".
No point In arguing who might be better now, but I'd agree that Lou has a higher ceiling if she can stay healthy. IF.
Oops. 30 pounds.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

I don’t want Smith or Magbegor lol. I think Phoenix needs a point guard and a forward. I know Dee plays a lot of point for Phoenix and they already have January, but January is not in her Fever championship form and Dee is even better off the ball. I know they picked up Essence Carson from the sparks. I really wish Odyssey sims had come. I hope we trade for a good forward because I don’t think I’ll like anything that will be available in the draft at 8 for a forward spot.

As of now, Phoenix will have the oldest team in the WNBA for the 2019 season. Briann January, Diana Taurasi, Sancho Lyttle, Camille Little (not sure if her 2019 contract is guaranteed), Essence Carson, and Leilani Mitchell (also not sure if her contract for 2019 is guaranteed) are all at least 32 years old. DeWanna Bonner and Yvonne Turner (also not sure if her 2019 contract is guaranteed) will both turn 32 years old this year.

With Diana Taurasi turning 37 this year, the window of time to compete for another WNBA title is incredibly short. While Taurasi is amazing, it is possible she may not want to play more than a few years (I could see her playing in the WNBA in 2019 and 2020 and the 2020 Olympics, before deciding to retire).

In other words, Phoenix needs someone who can step in and contribute right away. Also, given the fact that Taurasi/Bonner/Brittney Griner combined for nearly 60 points per game and Lyttle (before her injury) and January each averaged between 7-8 ppg, Phoenix was very top heavy. So not only must someone come in right away, said player must have the ability to score.

Of the two Aussies -- Alanna Smith and Ezi Magbegor -- it is not even a question for me. Smith is the choice. Magbegor has great athleticism and a ton of upside. But she is the Bruno Caboclo of this draft (Caboclo was taken in the first round of the 2014 NBA Draft; after his selection, Fran Faschilla stated that he was "two years away from being two years away.").

Smith would be a great fit next to Griner. Their games complement one another so well.

That being said, I feel there are a few players who can come in and contribute for Phoenix right away (they might not be able to do so for other teams, but would be in positions to do so for the Mercury). Here is the list of players about whose selection at #8 I would be THRILLED:

In no particular order:

• Napheesa Collier (UConn)
  • Alanna Smith (Stanford)
  • Arike Ogunbowale (Notre Dame)
  • Asia Durr (Notre Dame)
Now, there is a real chance that none of the four will be available at #8. But if Phoenix is able to select and does, in fact, select any of these four, I will be incredibly pleased.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Why does the Sun need 3 guards?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Another very deep draft for 2019. Crazy to see a player like Brianna Turner listed as a late 2nd round draft pick. The depth of the 2018 and 2019 classes will make a huge impact in the WNBA the next 5 years. Some of these kids in the first 2 rounds will surely struggle and not last, but all of the first round picks look like slam dunks as far as impact potential, and many of the 2nd rounders could have long careers as well. I think these 2 drafts are the deepest we've seen in the past decade.

Reaction Score
As of now, Phoenix will have the oldest team in the WNBA for the 2019 season. Briann January, Diana Taurasi, Sancho Lyttle, Camille Little (not sure if her 2019 contract is guaranteed), Essence Carson, and Leilani Mitchell (also not sure if her contract for 2019 is guaranteed) are all at least 32 years old. DeWanna Bonner and Yvonne Turner (also not sure if her 2019 contract is guaranteed) will both turn 32 years old this year.

With Diana Taurasi turning 37 this year, the window of time to compete for another WNBA title is incredibly short. While Taurasi is amazing, it is possible she may not want to play more than a few years (I could see her playing in the WNBA in 2019 and 2020 and the 2020 Olympics, before deciding to retire).

In other words, Phoenix needs someone who can step in and contribute right away. Also, given the fact that Taurasi/Bonner/Brittney Griner combined for nearly 60 points per game and Lyttle (before her injury) and January each averaged between 7-8 ppg, Phoenix was very top heavy. So not only must someone come in right away, said player must have the ability to score.

Of the two Aussies -- Alanna Smith and Ezi Magbegor -- it is not even a question for me. Smith is the choice. Magbegor has great athleticism and a ton of upside. But she is the Bruno Caboclo of this draft (Caboclo was taken in the first round of the 2014 NBA Draft; after his selection, Fran Faschilla stated that he was "two years away from being two years away.").

Smith would be a great fit next to Griner. Their games complement one another so well.

That being said, I feel there are a few players who can come in and contribute for Phoenix right away (they might not be able to do so for other teams, but would be in positions to do so for the Mercury). Here is the list of players about whose selection at #8 I would be THRILLED:

In no particular order:

• Napheesa Collier (UConn)
  • Alanna Smith (Stanford)
  • Arike Ogunbowale (Notre Dame)
  • Asia Durr (Notre Dame)
Now, there is a real chance that none of the four will be available at #8. But if Phoenix is able to select and does, in fact, select any of these four, I will be incredibly pleased.
Asia Durr is Louisville

Reaction Score
100% + she from socal Im a homer but id love to see her play here :)

Reaction Score
Ezi is risky, but the upside is really high. Who wants to take a chance?

She’s just 19. Nobody was talking about Alanna Smith as a viable prospect at age 19. She basically blossomed in her senior year.

PHX has the #13 pick. To me, whoever is available to PHX at #13 would have to be seen as a can’t-miss prospect to pass on Magbegor. Brondello may not have the final word on the choice, so that may give her an out or an excuse. But to me it’s a bad look for Brondello if she’s quoted as saying Magbegor is the “future of the Opals”, and then decides to not add Magbegor to the Mercury when given two great opportunities to do so.

Reaction Score

Lou's injury history was mainly due to a bad ankle, which was repaired. Anyone could have back issues if someone speared them. Not saying she is a good fit here but if I wanted a tall, shooting guard, her injuries would not be a major factor in my decision.

Reaction Score
I think Lou goes earlier than #9. She has a pro style game and can fit in with any team and players because of her skill set and knowledge of the game. That includes good A/T ratio, mid-range jumper, obviously 3pt shooter, great passer and good ball-handler. I think if she continues the path of better rebounding that she started this year she has a bright future at the 2 or 3....

One difference this year that I think that most hurt her game was the timely passing of Gabby and Kia in the UConn system. Since a lot of her game is not one on one but moving without the ball this can not be understated. Just my opinion, plus her shot was off : - )

Reaction Score
The Mystics will not take Smith. She is too similar to EDD and Emma Meesseman. They'll take Brown if she's there even though I think Smith is the better player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom