ESPN WBB writers are probably.. | The Boneyard

ESPN WBB writers are probably..

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
nice people and good reporters. I just wish they were good analysts and prognosticators. It seems as if all their articles are vanilla transcripts of what transpired with a few quotes added. I would like to read some analysis of why what happened happened. Point out changes in tactics or the underlying reasons why someone is succeeding or failing. What was the brilliant move the coach made that turned the tide.

In our particular case, I think an excellent story would be Kyla's move from occasional reserve to a sterling facilitator, dead eye three point and demonstrating superior inside passing. The mirage of Tennessee's record in light of scheduling. Analysis of the historical improvement of some teams by playing a difficult schedule and why it's better for a team to play cupcakes (which is=n the LV situation is right for them.) I don't want to know who is favored, I want to know why they are favored. What are the particular areas that give a team an edge over another team. How the other team can counter their deficiencies.

Reaction Score
I agree- I think this reflects the overall attitude towards Women’s college Basketball. Although if it wasn’t for ESPN’s support....
I see you are from SC- me too. Planning on attending the USC game?

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
nice people and good reporters. I just wish they were good analysts and prognosticators. It seems as if all their articles are vanilla transcripts of what transpired with a few quotes added. I would like to read some analysis of why what happened happened. Point out changes in tactics or the underlying reasons why someone is succeeding or failing. What was the brilliant move the coach made that turned the tide.

In our particular case, I think an excellent story would be Kyla's move from occasional reserve to a sterling facilitator, dead eye three point and demonstrating superior inside passing. The mirage of Tennessee's record in light of scheduling. Analysis of the historical improvement of some teams by playing a difficult schedule and why it's better for a team to play cupcakes (which is=n the LV situation is right for them.) I don't want to know who is favored, I want to know why they are favored. What are the particular areas that give a team an edge over another team. How the other team can counter their deficiencies.
There's a difference between a general assignment reporter and a columnist. As a GAR for 18 years, I couldn't express an opinion and even had to be mindful of the adjectives I used. Being promoted to a columnist was liberating--and a bit more profitable.

So, from your complaint, it appears ESPN could use a few more columnists. Have you tried directing your grievance to the network?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
There's a difference between a general assignment reporter and a columnist. As a GAR for 18 years, I couldn't express an opinion and even had to be mindful of the adjectives I used. Being promoted to a columnist was liberating--and a bit more profitable.

So, from your complaint, it appears ESPN could use a few more columnists. Have you tried directing your grievance to the network?
Understand that; my first job out of college was a a city side police reporter. Which was pretty cool once I made relationships with the officers and firemen. Then I got assigned a regular Sunday feature series. That was more fun. I understand the money deal. I left when we had our first child.

I have already directed my grievance to the highest board -- here. I am expecting the weight of Boneyard opinion to fully come crashing down on ESPN administration any day.

Reaction Score
ESPN has made wcbb accessible. For that they earn my respect and thanks. I am much less impressed with their commentary, either in-game, in-studio or on their website. But I have a mute option and I often use it because much of that is little more than propaganda. And that applies to most games and isn't limited to ESPN.
I have a suggestion. Last season I was watching the Baylor-Stanford game about this time of the year and for fun I loaded the free audio feeds offered on the 2 schools' websites and switched back and forth. You would be convinced you were listening to 2 different games. Both commentators thought the officiating was biased against their teams. The winning team's commentator thought their win was due to their great play while the losing commentator thought it was the poor play of her team that led to the loss. It was an enlightening evening and I recommend it.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
ESPN is responsible for National Coverage and not a Beat Reporter for individual Teams. Its up to the local(UConn) beat reporters to write about Kyla. ESPN will cover stories that would have interest to a National Audience. Kyla would not be of interest to 90% of WBB fans. She's only of interest to UConn fans who are aware of her history. If ESPN is writing a story about an upcoming UConn game, then Crystal, Evina, Olivia and Christyn will get the majority of the coverage because of their stats. I suspect that it will be Evina and Olivia that will be getting most of the coverage from now on. Some fans of other teams, complain that UConn gets too much coverage on ESPN. ;)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Evina? She's not even playing this year. Did you mean Megan?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
ESPN is responsible for National Coverage and not a Beat Reporter for individual Teams. Its up to the local(UConn) beat reporters to write about Kyla.

For game recaps, I agree with this statement. The game summary is more about what happened and obtaining post-game press conference statements from the coaches and players involved.

That being said, I understand @HuskeyinSC 's point about more in-depth analysis pieces, such as a profile on a team (what offensive/defensive schemes they may have employed with new personnel, the type of system that a new coach is running for a program, etc.) or for an in-depth analysis piece (to accompany a game summary) on high profile matchups.

As an example, Ryen Russillo (who used to host an NBA podcast for ESPN, but now does for for The Ringer) posted the following to Twitter about the Denver Nuggets' recent games against the Philadelphia Sixers and the LA Lakers:

I think this may be to what @HuskeyinSC is referring, with respect to more in-depth analysis or coverage.

I know that Mechelle Voepel has incorporated more advanced statistics and metrics into her substantive analysis pieces, given the more recent availability of such information (especially in her WNBA columns). At the same time, there is also a limit to the length of articles that can be written, as well as the number. This is why it is important for WBB fans to watch games, read articles, share articles (via social media and the like), and provide feedback about additional topics/pieces they would like to see, to drive the marketplace.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom