ESPN Too Early Rankings | The Boneyard

ESPN Too Early Rankings

Reaction Score
I like the list and I think the teams are in the right place. I would switch Kentucky with Oregon and Louisville with Arizona.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Again, there might be concern on some teams that Paige Bueckers' and Evina Westbrook's skill sets overlap as both debut for the Huskies. At UConn, putting them alongside Christyn Williams in the backcourt sounds intimidating.

:)

Reaction Score
Honestly, I appreciate that South Carolina is rated #1 and am happy for the attention, but at this point I think the Gamecocks have a lot of question marks.

But surveying the field, that seems to be the case for everybody. Maybe the teams here will end up dominating, but it is a season with a potential to be pretty wide open.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Honestly, I appreciate that South Carolina is rated #1 and am happy for the attention, but at this point I think the Gamecocks have a lot of question marks.

But surveying the field, that seems to be the case for everybody. Maybe the teams here will end up dominating, but it is a season with a potential to be pretty wide open.

Who would you rank about them though? SC is the most proven commodity of any team IMO.

Reaction Score
Who would you rank about them though? SC is the most proven commodity of any team IMO.

That was pretty much what I was getting at. I don't see an obvious pick for a dominant team. South Carolina is maybe as good a bet as anyone. But I have concerns about the offensive balance.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That was pretty much what I was getting at. I don't see an obvious pick for a dominant team. South Carolina is maybe as good a bet as anyone. But I have concerns about the offensive balance.
It's nice to be modest, but South Carolina is the obvious pick.

Of the clear top 3 teams from last season, SC by far is the team that loses the least. Not overlooking the void left by Harris, but comparatively to other teams.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It's nice to be modest, but South Carolina is the obvious pick.

Of the clear top 3 teams from last season, SC by far is the team that loses the least. Not overlooking the void left by Harris, but comparatively to other teams.

Harris and Harrigan who were both 1st round WNBA picks. Those are big shoes to fill for SC.

Reaction Score
Harris and Harrigan who were both 1st round WNBA picks. Those are big shoes to fill for SC.

They were not just talents. They, particularly Harris, were leaders. We are a very young team without them. None of our returners have ever been called upon as leaders.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

I see no question marks for South Carolina. The bench played quality minutes and it never was a run by the other teams with the bench players on the court. I might argue that in certain games the bench was stronger than the starters. South Carolina will be the team to beat....no doubt about it. Did you watch Lele, Saxon and Henderson...lol....???? No drop off what so ever...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I see no question marks for South Carolina. The bench played quality minutes and it never was a run by the other teams with the bench players on the court. I might argue that in certain games the bench was stronger than the starters. South Carolina will be the team to beat....no doubt about it. Did you watch Lele, Saxon and Henderson...lol....???? No drop off what so ever...

Do you think Lele and Saxton and Henderson are future WNBA First Round draft picks?

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Do you think Lele and Saxton and Henderson are future WNBA First Round draft picks?
That is irrelevant as to what they can produce this year. Harris nor Herbert-Harrington were considered first round picks at the beginning of last season. They became first round picks as the season came to an close. I see no reason that it could not happen to one or two of those players with their skill set. People seem to forget that Herbert-Harrington and Harris were not even in the draft conversation until then, much less first rounders.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That is irrelevant as to what they can produce this year. Harris nor Herbert-Harrington were considered first round picks at the beginning of last season. They became first round picks as the season came to an close. I see no reason that it could not happen to one or two of those players with their skill set. People seem to forget that Herbert-Harrington and Harris were not even in the draft conversation until then, much less first rounders.

It's not irrelevant unless Grissett and Saxton and Henderson play at the level of first round picks. I don't see it happening. Harris was a starter for most of her 4 years at SC and KHH was a starter for a lot of games at SC. Neither Grissett nor Saxton have played similar roles at SC. With bigger roles come question marks.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
It's not irrelevant unless Grissett and Saxton and Henderson play at the level of first round picks. I don't see it happening. Harris was a starter for most of her 4 years at SC and KHH was a starter for a lot of games at SC. Neither Grissett nor Saxton have played similar roles at SC. With bigger roles come question marks.
They won't have to play at that level...They have enough support and the three freshmen are now sophomores. They needed that with the freshmen last year but that is no longer an issue. These girls just need to be role players and they are more than capable enough to fill that role. Those three were 5 star recruits (Saxon, Lele and Henderson) on their own and Amihere was the No.2 ranked player before her injury. This team could be better than last years.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
They won't have to play at that level...They have enough support and the three freshmen are now sophomores. They needed that with the freshmen last year but that is no longer an issue. These girls just need to be role players and they are more than capable enough to fill that role. Those three were 5 star recruits (Saxon, Lele and Henderson) on their own and Amihere was the No.2 ranked player before her injury. This team could be better than last years.

All of the top 10 teams have question marks, including SC.

Reaction Score

I saw some footage of L.Amihere on Twitter. She looks like she's in her best shape. Looks like she's fully recovered. I think if she makes that jump. SC will be even more dangerous. She's not your typical big. She has a shot. And can move. Plays defense. Has a higher upside than Kiki imo.

Reaction Score
Perhaps @nwhoopfan could help me out, but maybe Gonzaga is a little underrated?

They have the Wirth twins, Jill Townsend, Melody Kempton, and the Truong twins back from a team that finished 13th last season. They add Cierra Walker and Abby O’Connor, both are eligible transfers who could be X-factors. Then they also have Kylee Griffen (a lot of Pac-12 schools wanted her in 2018) and a nice freshman class.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see them end the season top-15 again.

Reaction Score
I saw some footage of L.Amihere on Twitter. She looks like she's in her best shape. Looks like she's fully recovered. I think if she makes that jump. SC will be even more dangerous. She's not your typical big. She has a shot. And can move. Plays defense. Has a higher upside than Kiki imo.

I agree, she’s still going to have to continue to work through mistakes but I think a lot of teams are going to have trouble with her. She can dribble, shoot with range, and defend 1-5. Everyone should watch out for her!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Perhaps @nwhoopfan could help me out, but maybe Gonzaga is a little underrated?

They have the Wirth twins, Jill Townsend, Melody Kempton, and the Truong twins back from a team that finished 13th last season. They add Cierra Walker and Abby O’Connor, both are eligible transfers who could be X-factors. Then they also have Kylee Griffen (a lot of Pac-12 schools wanted her in 2018) and a nice freshman class.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see them end the season top-15 again.

Agreed. They lost a couple of key guards from last year, but they've been in a groove for several years now of losing key players and not missing a beat. Lots returning, should be a strong team again. Maybe they like being overlooked so they can keep a chip on their shoulder?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm curious what other posters think about Iowa's prospects. Doyle was a huge loss, also the older Meyer. But they lost 3 starters the previous season, including all time program leading scorer Gustafson, and hardly missed a beat. Seems like they've established a winning culture there. Czanino had a nice season last year. Some of the projections for Top 25 teams seem to be counting on touted Fr. delivering. Have people forgotten Caitlin Clark is a Hawkeye? I could easily see her being one of the biggest impact Fr. in the country this season.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Almost every team does entering a new season. SC finished #1 last year and had far more question marks than they did coming into this season.

Also, historically, teams that have virtually no question marks usually dont win titles: 2020 Oregon, 2019 Notre Dame, 2018 UCONN, 2013 Baylor, 2009 UCONN, 2008 Tennessee, 2007 Maryland, 2004 UCONN, 2001 UCONN, 1999 Tennessee.

That said, SC is the clear cut choice for preseason #1 despite losing great starters from a year ago. No they arent bullet proof, but they're the most proven commodity by a wide margin IMO.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
The only question with South Carolina is...how good they can really be. If you want to bury your head at the fact that they are loaded...well then...bury your head. I will stand by the "they lost nothing that they can't replace with better players" ! Period....That's a 5 star loaded team....with proven talent across the board. There are teams close to having as much talent.....but not quite there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom