ESPN To Release Basketball Project Including Segment On UConn-Tennessee Rivalry | The Boneyard

ESPN To Release Basketball Project Including Segment On UConn-Tennessee Rivalry

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Apologies if this has already been posted. I checked, didn't see it. :oops:

ESPN is releasing a 10-part basketball documentary on Sept. 18, “Basketball: A Love Story,” that will include a segment focusing on the rivalry between UConn and Tennessee.

The 20-hour documentary directed by Dan Klores includes 62 short stories and 165 exclusive interviews. The project will include some of basketball's greatest stars, from UConn’s own Diana Taurasi to LeBron James and Kobe Bryant.

“Klores’ short stories explore the complex nature of love as it relates to the game and opens the window to insights and perspectives about race, politics, media, art, business, style and entertainment,” a press release from ESPN states.

The Huskies and the Lady Vols have long been rivals — a natural occurrence as they’re two of the top programs in women’s basketball with UConn boasting 11 national titles and Tennessee winning eight. UConn won a record four in a row, from 2013-16. Tennessee last won a title in 2008.

[Story]

Reaction Score
I can nutshell the Tenn-UConn segment.

Pat ruled wcbb when she graciously agreed to play UConn in 1995 at UConn. The rivalry continued through 2006 when Pat ended it because of alleged cheating by UConn.

There will be no mention of the specific charges of cheating and the evidence behind the accusation.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Pat ruled wcbb when she graciously agreed to play UConn in 1995 at UConn. The rivalry continued through 2006 when Pat ended it because of alleged cheating by UConn.

Actually, this is more accurate: The rivalry continued through 2006 until Pat got tired of losing to UCONN and became bitter about being passed by Geno as WCBB GOAT. She then accused UCONN of cheating and used that as an excuse to dodge UCONN for the rest of her career.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Actually, this is more accurate: The rivalry continued through 2006 until Pat got tired of losing to UCONN and became bitter about being passed by Geno as WCBB GOAT. She then accused UCONN of cheating and used that as an excuse to dodge UCONN for the rest of her career.

Not accurate at all actually.

It was 2007, and Tennessee was on a three game win streak against UConn.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not accurate at all actually.

It was 2007, and Tennessee was on a three game win streak against UConn.

Meh, that's myopic. The overall trend was clear to the neutral observer. Pat saw the writing on the wall on the court. And this was losing on the recruiting trail.

I'd bet all the money in the world on this.

Reaction Score

My main point was that the media always goes as far as the accusations and never lists them or discusses what the evidence was, leaving a (IMO unsupported) cloud of suspicion over the UConn program. And I suspect that was Tenn's intent. ESPN usually mentions the ESPN tour as the alleged violation but actually that wasn't brought up until the NCAA started to conduct the investigation of the 37? page complaint.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My main point was that the media always goes as far as the accusations and never lists them or discusses what the evidence was, leaving a (IMO unsupported) cloud of suspicion over the UConn program. And I suspect that was Tenn's intent. ESPN usually mentions the ESPN tour as the alleged violation but actually that wasn't brought up until the NCAA started to conduct the investigation of the 37? page complaint.
It was 32 pages..... but who's counting? :eek:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

It was 32 pages..... but who's counting? :eek:
My copy has 34 pages. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My copy has 34 pages. :cool:

I erased my PDF copy off my desktop a couple of years ago. Sign of growth maybe .... but ESPN's stuff may have me rooting in the archives again!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would rather have seen a "30 for 30" about the rivalry. I don't think it can be done justice as just a segment of a larger program. We'll see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom