OT: ESPN to lose $100 million broadcasting the Texans/Raiders WC game | The Boneyard

OT: ESPN to lose $100 million broadcasting the Texans/Raiders WC game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
ESPN Will Lose $75 Million Televising Raiders-Texans

"
Every other network that carries the NFL -- NBC, CBS, and Fox -- has their playoff games or the Super Bowl, which rotates between NBC, CBS and Fox each three years, included within their yearly rights fee. Except for ESPN, which pays an extra $100 million for one crappy wild card game.

But, wait, it gets worse.

ESPN can only make around $25 million airing this wild card game.

So ESPN will lose $75 million televising one playoff football game.

Putting this wild card cost into context, the best deal in televised sports right now is CBS's to carry the top game in the SEC every week. CBS pays $55 million a year for this right, or an average of $3.5 million per game. This means that the SEC title game, which is also included in this package, costs $96.5 million less than the NFL Wild Card game on ESPN. And that the entire SEC on CBS package costs $45 million less than the single NFL wild card game airing on ESPN."

No wonder they fired all the talent

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The 'math' there isn't completly fair. It does come from a guy affiliated with Fox.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
That debate was one of the stupidest debates the sports world has ever had.....

People trying to argue that men and women are physically equal...
It was just stupid, and I cannot believe that people paid to talk about sports would waste air time on it. It's one thing when a casual observer of either sport brought it up, but when people like Clay Travis try to give it legitimacy, I then have to question pretty much any opinion on sports he brings up.

Reaction Score
ESPN Will Lose $75 Million Televising Raiders-Texans

"
Every other network that carries the NFL -- NBC, CBS, and Fox -- has their playoff games or the Super Bowl, which rotates between NBC, CBS and Fox each three years, included within their yearly rights fee. Except for ESPN, which pays an extra $100 million for one crappy wild card game.

But, wait, it gets worse.

ESPN can only make around $25 million airing this wild card game.

So ESPN will lose $75 million televising one playoff football game.

Putting this wild card cost into context, the best deal in televised sports right now is CBS's to carry the top game in the SEC every week. CBS pays $55 million a year for this right, or an average of $3.5 million per game. This means that the SEC title game, which is also included in this package, costs $96.5 million less than the NFL Wild Card game on ESPN. And that the entire SEC on CBS package costs $45 million less than the single NFL wild card game airing on ESPN."

No wonder they fired all the talent
Mike Aresco. Commissioner of the AAC and former Executive with CBS SPORTS hopefully has inside contacts and negotiation ability (hopefully ) to ensure great TV contract at the next go around perhaps with CBS.

Reaction Score
If they want to lose $75M, they can lose it on UCONN sports and get a lot more product for it. :)

Reaction Score
Mike Aresco. Commissioner of the AAC and former Executive with CBS SPORTS hopefully has inside contacts and negotiation ability (hopefully ) to ensure great TV contract at the next go around perhaps with CBS.
I think we may be the 1st conference to dip our toes into amazon/netflix/Google way of delivering content. I think Aresco will probably navigate better than most G5 commissioners. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
I think we may be the 1st conference to dip our toes into amazon/netflix/Google way of delivering content. I think Aresco will probably navigate better than most G5 commissioners. Time will tell.

Mentioned that to friends a while ago. Makes perfect sense for the AAC.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Who pissed in his bourbon bottle?

Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics