ESPN team rankings 11/9 | The Boneyard

ESPN team rankings 11/9

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I guess I’m struggling somewhat with the idea that some teams are moving up and some teams are moving down in preseason rankings when no one has played a game and no one has seen anyone practice.

It’s questionable enough that ESPN and others do a preseason ranking of teams in the first place. But at a minimum, once they put those initial rankings out, leave them alone until teams have a chance to play a game or two.

Reaction Score
I guess I’m struggling somewhat with the idea that some teams are moving up and some teams are moving down in preseason rankings when no one has played a game and no one has seen anyone practice.

It’s questionable enough that ESPN and others do a preseason ranking of teams in the first place. But at a minimum, once they put those initial rankings out, leave them alone until teams have a chance to play a game or two.

I assume, that adjustments have been made for transfers and coronavirus opt-outs etc.

Just an assumption. Might just be that they want some eyeballs and this is all they've got.

Reaction Score

In their defense, they do label it “way too early”.

Reaction Score

I guess I can understand if a team had an injury like Baylor evidently did or your team got a transfer waiver cleared, but I'm not sure how Miss State drops two spots for example.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is not a good time to be doing "nothing" if you are an ESPN employee. Bad content or even wrong content is better than no new content at this point.

Reaction Score
This is not a good time to be doing "nothing" if you are an ESPN employee. Bad content or even wrong content is better than no new content at this point.
Well they’re saying Graham Hays was one of their three poll voters, even though they fired him the other day.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Coco, I'm inclined to agree with your assumption. However Olddude is "on the money" with his comment. I can't help but believe we fans are at least as anxious, if not more so than ESPN, for the season to HAPPEN, say nothing about starting.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I suppose. But if I were on the chopping block at ESPN, I would be trying to figure out some way of generating additional revenue right now........Maybe put up a lemonade stand in the parking lot at the Bristol campus...... :confused:

Reaction Score
Since all pre season rankings are based purely on conjecture there really is no logical reason that the initial ratings should stand pat based on accomplishment. Sometimes new information becomes available. Voters also have time to re-consider their initial votes. Since teams did not earn their intial placement on the court, they certainly have no grip if it is arbitrarily taken away from them.

Reaction Score
Coco, I'm inclined to agree with your assumption. However Olddude is "on the money" with his comment. I can't help but believe we fans are at least as anxious, if not more so than ESPN, for the season to HAPPEN, say nothing about starting.

Well, if the season doesn't happen, we Gamecocks can claim a third NC based upon this ranking. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, if the season doesn't happen, we Gamecocks can claim a third NC based upon this ranking. ;)
:eek: I'm not so sure South Carolina gets by Louisville in a region that is based in Cincinnati. Jeff is probably going to get away with Boston being mugged the same way Griner was mugged in 2013. :D

Reaction Score
:eek: I'm not so sure South Carolina gets by Louisville in a region that is based in Cincinnati. Jeff is probably going to get away with Boston being mugged the same way Griner was mugged in 2013. :D

An aside: Nice to see that Charlie once again has placed S Fla in UConn's bracket. For two teams that are 1500 miles apart it's noteworthy that they usually end up in the same region.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I didn't look closely at all the changes, but here are 2 things to consider:

Didi and Moon got hurt. We're not sure what the outlook for them is.

Geno said 3 freshmen fit in almost seamlessly, and Paige had a great October.

Reaction Score

In general I agree that preseason is not a time for significant changes. In this case, however, the main difference near the top was the health of one key player on a top team, namely Didi Richards. Uconn and Louisville didn't so much move up as Baylor moved below them based on the possibility she will miss a major part of the season at best, and some chance she might not play at all this year. They didn't change much at all that wasn't related to that specific injury in my opinion.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Lots of teams with lots of questions.

No mention of Zaay Green for TAMU? Hard to believe she wouldn’t get a waiver.

Continue to see Shania Pellington (Big12 FOY) left off for Arizona. She will be a force with McDonald in the backcourt.

Reaction Score
An aside: Nice to see that Charlie once again has placed S Fla in UConn's bracket. For two teams that are 1500 miles apart it's noteworthy that they usually end up in the same region.

Couple other observations on Charlie's Way-to-Early Bracket, LAST UPDATED: 4/28/20 9:45 AM ET

1. When was the last time you saw 4 teams from the AAC on the brackets...exactly never. Good to see he has 4 BigEast teams on.

2. True to form though Charlie has 3 BE teams in the Spokane region. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Couple other observations on Charlie's Way-to-Early Bracket, LAST UPDATED: 4/28/20 9:45 AM ET

1. When was the last time you saw 4 teams from the AAC on the brackets...exactly never. Good to see he has 4 BigEast teams on.

2. True to form though Charlie has 3 BE teams in the Spokane region. :rolleyes:
I think Covid is going to end up changing their bracket placement rules in order to reduce travel unless they create a bubble somewhere for all the teams.

Reaction Score
I didn't look closely at all the changes, but here are 2 things to consider:

Didi and Moon got hurt. We're not sure what the outlook for them is.

Geno said 3 freshmen fit in almost seamlessly, and Paige had a great October.
Didi is fine and will be ready to go for the season opener. She will be playing PG for baylor all season .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom