ESPN Q&A: UConn Coach Bob Diaco | The Boneyard

ESPN Q&A: UConn Coach Bob Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hiring Diaco could be a stroke of genius. He fits the mold of everything that has worked here in the major sports. He's supremely qualified and he has the energy and charisma that Calhoun and Geno have.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I especially like coach D's constant references to UConn being a top 20 public university with an intense emphasis on STEM research; 50m people within a couple 100 miles radius of campus, and the Northeast being fertile football recruiting grounds . . . all solid B1G talking points.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
cttxus said:
I especially like coach D's constant references to UConn being a top 20 public university with an intense emphasis on STEM research; 50m people within a couple 100 miles radius of campus, and the Northeast being fertile football recruiting grounds . . . all solid B1G talking points.

Right out of Susan's playbook.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Now that he is associated with the AAC, is this the last fans hear of Coach Diaco on ESPN? Does ESPN give him an opportunity to go through the carwash?

Reaction Score
Now that he is associated with the AAC, is this the last fans hear of Coach Diaco on ESPN? Does ESPN give him an opportunity to go through the carwash?

He's such a good interview he will get all the air time he wants.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He's such a good interview he will get all the air time he wants.
The question is: Does ESPN grant him that air time...The Carwash is the best exposure a program can hope for. The program is featured on SportsCenter and the coach is interviewed on ALL the radio shows throughout the day during high traffic segments (read: morning and evening rush hour). It will be interesting to see, especially considering the perception of marginality that most people think ESPN holds for all things AAC.

Reaction Score
I was watching the men's basketball game last night and couldn't help but notice how many times they would show the American logo with ESPN under it going into commercials. Maybe I just started noticing it because the A is so easily recognizable but I don't recall seeing them show the Big East insignia like that going into commercials. Another thing I looked for was an equal number of PAC12 logos but can't remember seeing any. Just an observation.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I was watching the men's basketball game last night and couldn't help but notice how many times they would show the American logo with ESPN under it going into commercials. Maybe I just started noticing it because the A is so easily recognizable but I don't recall seeing them show the Big East insignia like that going into commercials. Another thing I looked for was an equal number of PAC12 logos but can't remember seeing any. Just an observation.

It's a branded broadcast as part of the new deal. ACC and SEC have the same thing.

Reaction Score
Makes sense and explains why during the women's game against Duke the other night, they kept referring to the ACC as they cut to a break.

Reaction Score
I didn't feel the need to start another thread so I'm gonna dump this Q&A from an ND Insider Mailbag article here:

>>What is the greater loss with Diaco leaving…..schematics or recruiting? BD seemed to really connect with high school kids…

Bill, I’m going with “none of the above.” While I think Diaco was excellent as both a schemer and recruiter, his presence and energy in the locker room will be missed the most. We tend to forget that he took over a defense that wasn’t just mediocre, it was horrible. Probably even worse was the morale of the group, players that had seen coaches and systems come and go.

Diaco rebuilt the psyche of this group, starting with a “B.I.A.” chant (Best In America) that people started by chuckling at, but ended up almost achieving in 2012.<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom