Status
Not open for further replies.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Didn't see this posted
http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/summershootaround130813/american

Connecticut
Best case: The Huskies weren't down for long. Sure, this may not be a Ray Allen/Rip Hamilton/Emeka Okafor-vintage team, but what could have been a disastrous transition from legendary program-builder Jim Calhoun to hand-picked mentee Kevin Ollie -- which came the same year UConn was suspended from the postseason for APR penalties -- actually produced an intriguing, competitive team full of talented guards. The 2012-13 edition would have gone to the tournament had it been eligible; this year's group should rightfully aim for much larger goals than that.
Worst case: After an up-and-down career, don't expect Shabazz Napier to squander his last chance on campus. But if incoming freshman forward Kentan Facey doesn't improve the Huskies' rebounding on both ends of the floor -- and/or Omar Calhoun and DeAndre Daniels don't make big steps forward -- this may be the same team as last season.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Didn't see this posted

Connecticut
Best case: The Huskies weren't down for long. Sure, this may not be a Ray Allen/Rip Hamilton/Emeka Okafor-vintage team, but what could have been a disastrous transition from legendary program-builder Jim Calhoun to hand-picked mentee Kevin Ollie -- which came the same year UConn was suspended from the postseason for APR penalties -- actually produced an intriguing, competitive team full of talented guards. The 2012-13 edition would have gone to the tournament had it been eligible; this year's group should rightfully aim for much larger goals than that.
Worst case: After an up-and-down career, don't expect Shabazz Napier to squander his last chance on campus. But if incoming freshman forward Kentan Facey doesn't improve the Huskies' rebounding on both ends of the floor -- and/or Omar Calhoun and DeAndre Daniels don't make big steps forward -- this may be the same team as last season.
so tournament bound? i'd accept that

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Sweet 16 is the bench mark. If the rebounding sucks again, then 3rd round is a good season. If we find Nolan or one of the others to be able to defend and rebound in traditional UConn sense, then Final 8.

Either way I expect to make the AAC final and win if not playing Louisville.

Reaction Score
Didn't see this posted

Connecticut

This sounds fair to me.

Our floor should be last year's performance, which would have gotten us a #7-10 seed in the Tournament.

A reasonable projection is a performance similar to 2011 -- ranked maybe 10-15 most of the year, a #3 or #4 seed in the Tournament, a favorite to the Sweet 16 and a crapshoot beyond that.

An optimistic projection is top 10 all year, flirting with top 5, less than 5 regular season losses, a #2 seed in the Tournament.

Fortunately, with a veteran team there shouldn't be too much variance. It's unlikely we'll fall out of the top 25 at any point or ever be near the bubble.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I just hope this team is more a 2010-2011 type than 2009-2010 (woof!).

Reaction Score
Bazz has had an up and down career at Uconn?

Reaction Score
Bazz has had an up and down career at Uconn?

Super high for a Frosh ... as a supplemental player on the National Championship. Great promise; and good production for limited minutes. OK ... Soph year. Team was basically an underachieving bunch and Shabazz was not a leader. BUT ... a really solid Junior year with lots of really huge moments. A clutch kid. I think maybe that's the point ... but ... heck, I think that is a wonderful career arc. Leads you to think he will have a fabulous Senior year ... not flatline. I get it. But, I am not going to bet against Napier after last year.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
btw people please don't argue this with me because i won't respond back

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Super high for a Frosh ... as a supplemental player on the National Championship. Great promise; and good production for limited minutes. OK ... Soph year. Team was basically an underachieving bunch and Shabazz was not a leader. BUT ... a really solid Junior year with lots of really huge moments. A clutch kid. I think maybe that's the point ... but ... heck, I think that is a wonderful career arc. Leads you to think he will have a fabulous Senior year ... not flatline. I get it. But, I am not going to bet against Napier after last year.
I'm not sure when he sustained it but my guess is that he played most of his sophomore season with a fractured foot. So technically, the article was correct. But the mitigating circumstances make me feel that Shabazz is not inconsistent.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
Im guessing that movie came out at least 20 years before huskyforlife was born

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom