ESPN on Gabby Williams, world-class athlete | The Boneyard

ESPN on Gabby Williams, world-class athlete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting kid. I wonder how her request for red shirt year so she can vie for Rio Olympics will sit with Geno?

My hunch: Not very well. That sort of request is double-edged. It raises concerns as to whether the athlete is team oriented or self-centered? I said "raises concerns" but I did not say it proves anything one way or another. Still, for a program as elite as UCONN is, the process of being hyper selective in offering scholarships probably augers against her coming to UCONN.

That said, and jumping ( no pun intended) to the bottom line, I'd like to see her here and hope the decision makers pursue her vigorously. Period.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Just out of curiousity, does anyone remember if Lorin Dixon could touch the rim? IIRC she was able to get her fingers on it. Pretty amazing for a 5'4" player. If not, she was close. Gabby is a super athlete as well but she also has 7" on LD !

Reaction Score
The article did mention Uconn by name and also stated that no program has backed off her request. So if she has chatted with Geno then he is aware of her request. Dont have any idea how hard Uconn is persuing her.

HGN

Reaction Score
Gabby would be an interesting addition..........May not be a full time starter because she may not be dedicated enough to develop to her full potential. But certainly could be a consistent contributor off the bench.

If she has a strong interest in UConn , with her pure athletism , Geno and staff could bring her on board. Geno has brought on walk-on's before. (So if she wants a redshirt year to train for the 2016 Olympics , Geno may give it to her). So being starter calibre is not always what he is looking for. Sometimes he wants contributors I think. And she could certainly do that.

Reaction Score
Coach Auriemma did not allow Kelly Schumacher to play volleyball. It is doubtful, he would change philosophies.

It is hard to question the dedication of an athlete who chooses to play two sports; Especially when they are very, very good in both sports. Coach Hatchel certainly had no problem with her elite track star back in the 90's; And still managed to win a national championship with her track star as her point guard.

UConn has had very good track teams within the Big East, but have never been a major player nationally. Such an athlete could only enrich UConn's track program.

I can understand Ms Williams desire to pursue a basketball scholarship. I do not know the current situation with track and field. Back in the day, track and field athletes only received partial scholarships. Today, I believe, sports like track and field and swimming are highly subsidized on a number of college campuses by way of university sports clubs.

Reaction Score
Just out of curiousity, does anyone remember if Lorin Dixon could touch the rim? IIRC she was able to get her fingers on it. Pretty amazing for a 5'4" player. If not, she was close. Gabby is a super athlete as well but she also has 7" on LD !

Lorin Dixon could jump out of the gym. Never mentioned among UConn's all time great athletes, but has to be in the conversation.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Coach Auriemma did not allow Kelly Schumacher to play volleyball. It is doubtful, he would change philosophies.

It is hard to question the dedication of an athlete who chooses to play two sports; Especially when they are very, very good in both sports. Coach Hatchel certainly had no problem with her elite track star back in the 90's; And still managed to win a national championship with her track star as her point guard.

UConn has had very good track teams within the Big East, but have never been a major player nationally. Such an athlete could only enrich UConn's track program.

I can understand Ms Williams desire to pursue a basketball scholarship. I do not know the current situation with track and field. Back in the day, track and field athletes only received partial scholarships. Today, I believe, sports like track and field and swimming are highly subsidized on a number of college campuses by way of university sports clubs.

Geno is a huge fan (and student) of many sports. He is especially appreciative of world class athletes who pursue perfection with the same passion that Geno has long shown in his coaching profession.

If Gabby wants to be the very best Basketball player she can be AND an Olympian high jumper, I think Geno would love to have her in his program.

The reference to Marion Jones is appropriate. And Babe Didrikson did pretty well competing in Track and Field at the Olympics and becoming one of the best female golfers of all time.

I'll bet my last dollar that if Gabby can play basketball at UConn's level, Geno will find a place for her in his program.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Geno is a huge fan (and student) of many sports. He is especially appreciative of world class athletes who pursue perfection with the same passion that Geno has long shown in his coaching profession.

If Gabby wants to be the very best Basketball player she can be AND an Olympian high jumper, I think Geno would love to have her in his program.

The reference to Marion Jones is appropriate. And Babe Didrikson did pretty well competing in Track and Field at the Olympics and becoming one of the best female golfers of all time.

I'll bet my last dollar that if Gabby can play basketball at UConn's level, Geno will find a place for her in his program.
OC, I am with you on this one. The high jump is a completely different animal from volleyball. I think she is taking the correct approach to letting coaches know that this is her desire. Not many people have the opportunity to complete at that level and there is not doubt that taking time to focus on that one event prior to the Olympics would be a wise decision for her.

I applaud her for wanting to reach this goal and make the Olympic team. I hope I am rooting for her to win Gold in 2016 and a plethora of titles with UConn along the way, if that is what she chooses.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Dixon recorded a 33.7 on the SPARQ test vertical jump way back in HS.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
With two sport athletes, there is a provision that allows them to play at least one year in another sports, even after having exhausted four years of eligibility in the primary sport. For example, Greg Paulus played basketball for Duke for four years and graduated; he played one year of football at Syracause in a graduate program.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
With two sport athletes, there is a provision that allows them to play at least one year in another sports, even after having exhausted four years of eligibility in the primary sport. For example, Greg Paulus played basketball for Duke for four years and graduated; he played one year of football at Syracause in a graduate program.
So you are assuming then that she would not "jump" to the WNBA after four years....(sorry, that one was just hanging there :)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If the girl can play UConn level hoops and Geno wants her, I can't imagine that Geno would tell her that her Olympic wish doesn't work. The Olympics and playing school volleyball are very different, and having coached in the Olympics, I'd guess GA understands that pretty well. That being said, I know Stanford has allowed at least a few players to play hoops and volleyball. They are top notch in both sports. Maybe a lot more schools allow for multi-sports.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If the girl can play UConn level hoops and Geno wants her,
She is ranked #8 on ESPN Hoopgurlz. Haven't heard anything though about UCONN recruiting her, besides this article??? Something for the Horde to look into.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am not sure how many ACL injuries there are among high jumpers but I'm not sure I would risk playing basketball if I had Olympic aspirations.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Bob Hopson was a national class high jumper on the cusp of Olympic caliber in the early '80s at UConn ( I had the honor if being his teammate at E.O.Smith and UConn)...so there is precedence for UConn having elite high jumpers

Reaction Score
According to blog by Jim Fuller, Shea was in Nev on Friday to see her play.Lots of info provided, one linked article mentions that she wants to redshirt her soph year in college so that she can focus on Olympics. Unfortunately, it looks like she was hurt on Sat, and is waiting for an MRI on her knee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis

Top Bottom