ESPN - Maryland hopes APR success spills onto field | The Boneyard

ESPN - Maryland hopes APR success spills onto field

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/119649/maryland-hopes-apr-success-spills-onto-field

AD of Maryland suggested RE might want to head back to UConn 3 days after the hiring!!!

:-0

We sit down and he tells me ‘I don’t know, you might want to go back to Connecticut after I tell you this if that job is still open,’” Edsall said

Edsall said his philosophy of “do the right thing in all situations” was a big part of the success he had at Connecticut. He’s hoping similar results will soon follow in Maryland.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At least ESPN is reminding the world UConn can win.

Reaction Score
Not taking anything away from Edsall; but, I wonder if this emphasis on academics is also driven by Maryland being in the B1G now instead of the Always Cheating Conference (ACC)?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not taking anything away from Edsall; but, I wonder if this emphasis on academics is also driven by Maryland being in the B1G now instead of the Always Cheating Conference (ACC)?

Maryland replaced a more successful coach with Edsall for academics...

Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:

It's not. Edsall started the change on day 1 at Maryland.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
He manages a program well... tight ship and all that.

Reaction Score
I miss Edsall. To think our AD at the time replaced him with the stupid twins sends my blood pressure through the roof.

Randy left and Pasqualoni was hired in Susan Herbst's first month on the job. That Pasqualoni hire was about as much of an anti-Susan Herbst hire as you will ever see.

I have to believe that if she had been around for a year, or even six months, when Randy left, the process would have gone much differently.

Reaction Score
image.jpg

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Randy left and Pasqualoni was hired in Susan Herbst's first month on the job. That Pasqualoni hire was about as much of an anti-Susan Herbst hire as you will ever see.

I have to believe that if she had been around for a year, or even six months, when Randy left, the process would have gone much differently.
She was officially offered the position and had accepted shortly before the hire. She didn't officially assume the role for another few months (after the academic year ended for the University of Georgia system). The vacuum above Hathaway (that existed for basically all of his time as AD here) is what allowed him to remain while doing pretty much nothing.

On point of the OP; I had it on very good authority that a major reason MD saw Edsall as an attractive hire was due to the sloppiness (for lack of a better term) the program operated in (both academically and behaviorally) under Friedgen. The Terps wanted to show they were making an effort to improve their image and RE was an ideal person to show they were serious with this. While it was never explicitly stated, it doesn't take much to put two and two together and infer that the goal was to look more B1G worthy.

Reaction Score
She was officially offered the position and had accepted shortly before the hire. She didn't officially assume the role for another few months (after the academic year ended for the University of Georgia system). The vacuum above Hathaway (that existed for basically all of his time as AD here) is what allowed him to remain while doing pretty much nothing.

On point of the OP; I had it on very good authority that a major reason MD saw Edsall as an attractive hire was due to the sloppiness (for lack of a better term) the program operated in (both academically and behaviorally) under Friedgen. The Terps wanted to show they were making an effort to improve their image and RE was an ideal person to show they were serious with this. While it was never explicitly stated, it doesn't take much to put two and two together and infer that the goal was to look more B1G worthy.

I definitely agree. Your theory is supported by the fact that Maryland hired a former Army AD, too. My guess is that Anderson looked under the hood of the Friedgen machine and said, I don't care if we just went 9-3, this guy has to go.

Of course, the sad part is that Randy's arrival made them more B1G worthy and his departure made us much less B1G worthy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good read. Miss him as coach here.
I'd felt that Randy had taken us about as far as he could, so I wasn't upset with the fact of the change, just a bit as to how it was handled. It never occurred to me just how far and how fast we could fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom