ESPN Insider: Can UConn, other elite programs be fixed? | The Boneyard

ESPN Insider: Can UConn, other elite programs be fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The UConn troll himself Jeff Goodman posted this today:

Below we take a look at 13 teams that have either taken a dip this season or failed to live up to expectations and talk to coaches regarding the reasons why they are struggling. We're not saying all these are NIT teams, but the potential is there if they can't get things fixed.

41.gif

Connecticut Huskies (11-9, 4-4 American)

• Missing a stretch 4 (a la Niels Giffey or DeAndre Daniels)
• Need another ball handler to help Ryan Boatright
• Don’t shoot well enough from the perimeter
• No inside play
• Don’t make the extra pass (selfish)
• Leadership lacking

Can they make the tournament? Coaches' quotes:

“Don’t count them out. They believe in Kevin Ollie.”

“If Omar Calhoun and Sam Cassell Jr. play better and make shots. But offense is hard to get too much better at.”

Other 12 teams in article: Florida, Cuse, Pitt, Michigan, UNLV, Colorado, Memphis, Harvard, UCLA, Texas, Mich. St.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
2 things. This team is too unselfish. And boat is a leader. Brimah is still learning basketball and how to be a leader

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
2 things. This team is too unselfish. And boat is a leader. Brimah is still learning basketball and how to be a leader
Boat isn't the type of leader that young kids react too. He's an emotional leader, and sometimes young kids need guidance over rushed emotions in games.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Boat isn't the type of leader that young kids react too. He's an emotional leader, and sometimes young kids need guidance over rushed emotions in games.
I've never seen him have rushed emotions during the games. I've seen him look at the guys and with his say calm down and then explain to them what needs to be down

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Sometimes young kids need to hit an open jumper.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Yeah, this article may be factual. But Goodman is still a world-class troll (besides the fact that he looks like a troll too):

upload_2015-2-2_14-22-24.png

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
And another where he basically admits to trolling:
upload_2015-2-2_14-24-34.png

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I've never seen him have rushed emotions during the games. I've seen him look at the guys and with his say calm down and then explain to them what needs to be down
Sometimes young kids need to hit an open jumper.
Body language has been bad for 4 years. He complains a ton, but majority of the time he has a reason to. If you looked at Shabazz, Kemba, or even AJ Price, when they got a bad call they smiled and laughed. I think Doug Gottlieb went over the edge a tad during his comments at halftime yesterday, but I do think Boat is not the type of leader that this team needs.

If we had a team of juniors and seniors who were experienced I think Boat would be the perfect leader for them. Boat is getting impatient with their play and his comments last night support that. This team needs him to go super saiyan to even have a chance at the AAC Tournament. And if there's one player in the conference that can do that, its Boat.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Body language has been bad for 4 years. He complains a ton, but majority of the time he has a reason to. If you looked at Shabazz, Kemba, or even AJ Price, when they got a bad call they smiled and laughed. I think Doug Gottlieb went over the edge a tad during his comments at halftime yesterday, but I do think Boat is not the type of leader that this team needs.

If we had a team of juniors and seniors who were experienced I think Boat would be the perfect leader for them. Boat is getting impatient with their play and his comments last night support that. This team needs him to go super saiyan to even have a chance at the AAC Tournament. And if there's one player in the conference that can do that, its Boat.

Gottlieb's comments during half-time yesterday against Houston were actually one of the few times I found myself agreeing with Doug. His words were harsh but true, and it was nice that someone was saying them because it shows that the nation as a whole expects way more out of UConn, and seeing anything less like we have is cause for concern.

Reaction Score
Gottlieb's comments during half-time yesterday against Houston were actually one of the few times I found myself agreeing with Doug. His words were harsh but true, and it was nice that someone was saying them because it shows that the nation as a whole expects way more out of UConn, and seeing anything less like we have is cause for concern.

what was his comments for those that didnt watch?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
what was his comments for those that didnt watch?

Basically he was being very frank in that saying UConn's talent level should NEVER lose to an 0-8 (in AAC) Houston team and that the 2nd half was an absolute must win for their season and team going forward. He stated that the team cant play sloppy/poorly for 30 minutes then get to desperation mode where they start giving a s*** (i.e. look at the last 7-8 minutes of the @Cincy and @Houston games, behind by quite a bit, then Boat starts making crazy shots to bring them close but its never enough). He also cited very sloppy play and lack of aggressiveness in getting to the rim (especially considering how much we lack outside shooting) as major culprits to the teams poor performance.

Personally I agree with the lack of aggressiveness sentiment very much, we have 3 guys on the perimeter who pass back and forth, one will drive to the paint, encounter a defender and kick it out to the nearest guy on the perimeter who has an open shot, the perimeter player pump fakes instead of shooting (probably because they simply cant shoot) and does the same exact thing, drive and kick to perimeter guy #3 who then does it again, eventually someone will take a bad shot.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Selfish??????????????????
I wish at times that was a problem
We have 4 guys out there all the time afraid to shoot
This windbag hasn't been paying attention.
The leadership issue ALWAYS comes up when any team struggles - its a patent answer

Reaction Score
It would be a good start, and Malik is a longshot, the kid is the quintessential Kentucky recruit.
Yeah im not holding my breath but it would definitely be a quick fix. In theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom