ESPN disses Meg again... by omission | The Boneyard

ESPN disses Meg again... by omission

Reaction Score
We all know ESPN (and pretty much everyone else) has been touting Ionescu as the consensus POY. In an article today, ESPN writes: "A bona fide next contender has yet to emerge, and Ionescu will likely garner even more of the spotlight in the new year with season-defining games against Oregon State, Stanford and UConn still to come. If she is her usual productive and occasionally dynamic self in those games, it should eliminate any doubt that this is anything but a one-player race. "
Sad that they can't even give Meg a nod as a possible "contender"....
Looks like UConn will need to beat Oregon... and for Meg to outplay Sabrina, for Meg to even get a whiff of attention for POY

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
We all know ESPN (and pretty much everyone else) has been touting Ionescu as the consensus POY. In an article today, ESPN writes: "A bona fide next contender has yet to emerge, and Ionescu will likely garner even more of the spotlight in the new year with season-defining games against Oregon State, Stanford and UConn still to come. If she is her usual productive and occasionally dynamic self in those games, it should eliminate any doubt that this is anything but a one-player race. "
Looks like UConn will need to beat Oregon... and for Meg to outplay Sabrina, for Meg to even get a whiff of attention for POY

When I read your thread title, I assumed the article had listed a set of contenders and Meg was not on the list. That would piss me off.

To say their is no contender is just a particularly strong bias for Sabrina, not really a specific slight on Meg.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Putting aside the diss to Meg aspect, it is simply inappropriate for a reporting organization to come off as a fan club - at least until mid-February at least.

Reaction Score
From same article by Charlie Creme (who does the Bracketology)

No. 7 Louisville, No. 8 Florida State and No. 9 NC State are the most notable ACC teams coming out of nonconference play, but none appear likely to pull away from each other, a necessity if anyone from the conference is to elevate to elite status and compete with the best from the Pac-12, Baylor and South Carolina for a No. 1 seed.

Given UConn is No. 1 in his latest Bracketology is that a slight or an oversight?

1577754492747.png

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMO from what Charlie has seen of UConn's play, he doesn't think they will end up as a #1 Seed. Has UConn as a #1 seed because they are undefeated. In his first Bracketology if I recall correctly he had UConn as a #2 Seed.

From same article by Charlie Creme (who does the Bracketology)

No. 7 Louisville, No. 8 Florida State and No. 9 NC State are the most notable ACC teams coming out of nonconference play, but none appear likely to pull away from each other, a necessity if anyone from the conference is to elevate to elite status and compete with the best from the Pac-12, Baylor and South Carolina for a No. 1 seed.

Given UConn is No. 1 in his latest Bracketology is that a slight or an oversight?

View attachment 49533

Reaction Score
Just like the first few Heisman Trophy projections rarely come true, unlikely today's leader will end up as POY. I like Meg's chances.

Reaction Score
The only time it counts is at the end, and her chances will be helped or hurt by the team's performance throughout the year and, again, at the end. Same for Ionescu, Even if, on an objective basis, Meg is better, Sabrina might win it if Oregon is national champion.

Reaction Score
The only time it counts is at the end, and her chances will be helped or hurt by the team's performance throughout the year and, again, at the end. Same for Ionescu, Even if, on an objective basis, Meg is better, Sabrina might win it if Oregon is national champion.
Pot is voted on before the tourney begins

Reaction Score
I doubt Meg would be bothered by this, even if she has seen or read it. My impression of her is that she goes about her business and works on what she has control of to the best of her abilities and likely doesn't pay too much attention to the "noise" of NPOY speculations.

Reaction Score
Putting aside the diss to Meg aspect, it is simply inappropriate for a reporting organization to come off as a fan club - at least until mid-February at least.
I agree with your premise but life and reporting tends to tout a player here and there. As a Frosh, as uconn entered the NC run, DT was all over the media. So much so I worried about her performance and said so. I wanted her isolated from the hype---it proved right. She took 15 3's and missed 14 uncharacteristic.
So, maybe all this hype for Sabrina will be detrimental to her POY.
On the flip side, POY is about hyping that player.
IMO, worthless as it is, Megan shall be a POY if only at UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom